Hi All... Help With Water Test Results Please

Author Topic: hi all... help with water test results please  (Read 14305 times) 67 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: hi all... help with water test results please
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2015, 08:12:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Lots of good advice on this thread, but I honestly cannot recommend Pure Aquarium balls enough in this situation.

PFK rate them very highly: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4918. They will keep your ammonia and nitrite levels down and are also foolproof as you could throw the whole tub in and you can't overdose.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2015, 09:13:52 PM »
The best one to use is Tetra Safe Start. But read the instructions on the pack before you buy. I haven't used it myself but I have read that you aren't supposed to use it when there is anything added to the tank to detoxify ammonia. Or not for a certain time after adding the detoxifier - and that includes Prime.

I use Seachem Prime as my water conditioner at each water change. I also use Tetra Safe Start any time I've added new filter media or new fish into an established tank (after quarantine), and so the two are used in tandem. This is helpful to know, Sue - is it because one counteracts the benefit of the other?

Offline Sue

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2015, 09:18:49 PM »
I think it is because the filter bacteria use ammonia rather than ammonium. Using a dechlorinator which 'detoxifies' ammonia removes the ammonia as a food source and slows the establishment of the ammonia eating bacteria in Safe Start.
Since Seachem won't say what it is in Prime that detoxifies nitrite, we can't know what effect that will have on the nitrite eaters - or the ammonia eaters for that matter.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2015, 10:21:05 AM »
Lots of good advice on this thread, but I honestly cannot recommend Pure Aquarium balls enough in this situation.

PFK rate them very highly: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4918. They will keep your ammonia and nitrite levels down and are also foolproof as you could throw the whole tub in and you can't overdose.

The link isn't working to pfk mate, I've looked at a few reviews looks good, might give it a go!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »

The link isn't working to pfk mate, I've looked at a few reviews looks good, might give it a go!

This link should work: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4918

Looks like an interesting product. I shall read the whole thing later when I have more time.

As this is another of those products that adds beneficial bacteria, you are likely to find issues if using in conjunction with Prime.

As far as I can remember Tetra Safe recommended waiting 24 hours after adding Prime before adding the Safe Start product, so I imagine a similar approach would be sensible when adding the Pure Aquarium balls.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »
I know a lot of people swear by this product, but there are a couple of things that worry me in the PFK article.

My best theory is that the process is similar to the immobilisation techniques using polyethylene glycol (or PEG) prepolymers, as used in water sewage treatments. If I’m right then the research behind this method is watertight and the results — at least where treatment of waste water is involved — are well documented and very impressive with captured bacteria that get to work quickly.

The reason it used to thought that the nitrite eaters were Nitrobacter is that this is the one found in sewage treatment where nitrite levels are very high. Later research showed that it is Nitrospira that grows in aquariums, at the much lower nitrite levels found there.
So does Pure Aquarium contain Nitrospira or Nitrobacter?

The winning factor is the omission of any claim that this will start an aquarium cycle. The product is intended as a standalone to existing biological activity, and although it claims to —and by all accounts should — help establish tanks, it’s not intended as a sole developer of filter bacteria.

So it is not intended as a product to 'instantly cycle' a tank.

Having said all that, it is realised that the products that contain the wrong nitrite eaters can help - they remove high levels of nitrite while the correct species grow.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:22 PM »
Good points Sue, but I would never recommend Pure Aquarium Balls to begin the cycling process. They are though very effective at managing ammonia and nitrite when in a pinch. They won PFK product of the year and many people use them for emergency QTs.

Given Dylan's situation I think they would be an effective way of preventing the nitrite and ammonia becoming toxic while the tank cycles. For less than £10 they must be worth a shot!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 10:58:17 PM »
... I think they would be an effective way of preventing the nitrite and ammonia becoming toxic while the tank cycles. For less than £10 they must be worth a shot!

They won't stop Ammonia and Nitrite from being toxic, they will only introduce bacteria that will help consume/convert them.
Unless there are enough bacterium, any remaining Ammonia and/or Nitrite left in the water column will still be toxic to fish.

Dylan is using Seachem Prime now which does actually render Ammonia and Nitrite non-toxic.

Prime, or any other similar product, shouldn't be used instead of regular water changes though as you still need to top up the mineral buffers and remove any Nitrate build up.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 07:38:24 AM »
So I tested the water and my nitrate level is up to about 20mg/l ammonia is at about 0.8mg/l and nitrite about 0.2 mg/l.

So I've done a 25% water change, I'll check it again tomorrow see where I'm at.

I think I'll leave the aquarium balls just now, if I'm not seeing my nitrate level staying up I'll get them next week maybe.... Atleast I've got the prime in there to detoxify the nitrite and ammonia  8)

Offline Sue

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2015, 09:02:11 AM »
If the nitrate level is increasing, it has to come from somewhere, and unless you are adding a lot of plant fertiliser containing nitrate the only source is from the fish via ammonia and nitrite. In other words, you definitely have some of both bacteria, it is now just a case of waiting till you have the right amount of each of them.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »
If the nitrate level is increasing, it has to come from somewhere, and unless you are adding a lot of plant fertiliser containing nitrate the only source is from the fish via ammonia and nitrite. In other words, you definitely have some of both bacteria, it is now just a case of waiting till you have the right amount of each of them.

Yay  :cheers:

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2015, 08:01:23 PM »
So, now it looks like some of my fish have white spot! What's the best way to treat it? I've seen that adding aquarium salt can help, but am a little paranoid about adding it as, well it's fresh water fish.... I see I should up the temperature gradually to 30 Celsius,  am I better with medicines which is the best?

Thanks Dylan.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2015, 08:13:19 PM »
Here's a really detailed article on Ich (whitespot) which talks about treatment as well as prevention - http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_88/white-spot.htm

Well worth a read for when you have 10 minutes free. Should tell you everything you need to know.

Offline Sue

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2015, 09:04:41 PM »
Most whitespot meds on the market are OK - provided you follow the instructions to the letter. That link explains the parasite's lifecycle - it is important to continue treating after the spots have gone off the fish as they can only be killed in the theront phase and there must be some med in the water when every last one gets to this stage.

However - do you still have the clown loaches? Not only are these fish very prone to whitespot if they are stressed (eg during a fish-in cycle), they are scaleless fish so read the med instructions carefully. Some tell you to use half dose with scaleless fish. I too have loaches so I use half dose and add a couple of extra doses on the end.

You may well find you have to water changes during treatment. On a dose day, do the water change then add the med. On non-dose days, after the water change add enough med to treat the amount of new water; that is add enough to replace the med in the water you just took out.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2015, 05:55:28 PM »
so ive done a massive water change and im about to put in the white spot treatment, is it only the carbon i remove from the filter, or is it the polishing pad from beneath the carbon aswell?? ive bought the treament stuff that is ok for clown loaches as well.

im reading that some of my fish like a max of 28 celcius, is it ok to go up to 30? for a week or so to speed the process along?

i seem to have lost one of my clown loaches too... cant have flushed him this time, but he didnt show face while removing the ornaments, switching buckets twice, and putting the ornaments back in, i plugged the bath before pouring the water away too this time so not to loose him down there, im just hoping he stayed in one of the ornaments  :-\

Dylan.

Offline Sue

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »
It's only carbon that needs to be removed as that removes the medication. Once treatment has finished, put new carbon in the filter for a few days then throw it away, together with all the med it has adsorbed. Then replace it with plain sponge as you don't need carbon full time. You will lose some of your bacteria but the amount on the carbon won't be a large proportion of the ones you have grown so far.

Fish can take 30 C for a short period, it's living full time at that temp that does the harm. Take it up slowly then bring it back down slowly afterwards. Make a note of the current setting on your heater if the dial doesn't correspond to the actual temp - something that is very common.

Some fish are masters at hiding. It could well turn up again.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2015, 10:08:18 PM »
Would it be a good idea to put the pure aquarium balls in place of the carbon once I get rid of the ich?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »
Those Pure Aquarium balls aren't a substitute for Carbon.
They are gel balls filled with bacteria. (In the simplest terms)
The gel dissolves and bacteria is released.

As Sue pointed out earlier , it's debatable whether they even contain the correct type of bacteria required for the aquarium environment.

The manufacturer states they aren't to be used to speed up the cycle.

In a tank which is already cycled I don't see the point. The amount of bioload entering the tank dictates the quantity of bacteria which will survive in your tank.

If you add more bacteria, and there's not enough food to sustain it then some bacteria will starve and die.

Others may disagree.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2015, 10:35:33 PM »
Simon's right, the aquarium balls are only designed to remove ammonia and nitrite. In a fully cycled aquarium they shouldn't be needed and I wouldn't recommend using them to cycle a tank. But as I've said before they can help in an uncycled tank as this forum testifies http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?106792-Pure-Aquarium-Balls-Cycling-fishless.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2015, 02:08:54 AM »
So my clown loach has returned  :cheers:

Hopefully this white spot doesn't last too long, what am I best replacing the carbon with? Biofoam?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "hi all... help with water test results please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 08:52:52 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 07:26:29 PM
by Andys101
2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 11:45:51 AM
by Paddy60
8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2019, 10:19:19 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post February 11, 2020, 07:28:13 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2020, 09:48:39 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: