Help Needed And Pleco Advice

Author Topic: Help needed and pleco advice  (Read 4772 times) 2 replies

Offline gem1704

Help needed and pleco advice
« on: October 09, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have inherited my grans fish. She has had them for several years and they have been fine. I have now moved them to my home and into a 64 litre tank. I have had problems from the beginning. I had the water tested and the ammonia and nitrate levels where through the roof. I have since them cleaned the gravel with a gravel cleaner and done a water change and included some ammonia cleaner in with the change. the tank looked 100% better after the change and the fish were swimming around brilliantly.

in there I have 5 neon tetras, 3 harlequins and 4 plecos. I am concerned after researching on forums etc that there shouldn't be 4 plecos in the tank and I am concerned that the amount of waste they produce is what is causing the high ammonia levels (there is loads in there again already)

the water is also very cloudy again despite the water change.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated so I can rectify the problems asap.

thank you

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Help needed and pleco advice
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
If your ammonia and nitrite were through the roof you need to do a lot of large water changes to get them down to zero and then as many water changes as often as necessary to keep them there.

What was the ammonia remover you used? It is usually better to do the water changes than add chemicals.

Plecs are poo machines, as you have discovered. They will not be helping the water conditions. With four of them in there I'm not surprised you are having trouble. I'm afraid there are no plecs suitable for a 64 litre tank. The smallest plec commonly available is the bristlenose, but even that needs a bigger tank. At the other end of the scale are common plecs and gibbiceps (sailfin) plecs which grow to well over a foot long, and probably longer than your tank.
Quite honestly, I'd see if any shops would take the plecs off your hands. Even if they do they most likely won't give you anything for them, or maybe a credit nore if you are lucky.
If you can rehome them, the neons and harlequins would be fine, though you'd need to get more eventually - they should be in shoals of at least 6 each. But I would wait before gettting more until you know that your ammonia and nitrite are staying at zero as adding more fish just yet will make the situation worse.

You say you had the water tested - you really need to buy your own liquid reagent based testers (not strips) because you need to be testing the water at least twice a day for a while, and doing a water change every time you see a reading for ammonia and/or nitrite above zero. This sounds like a lot of work but you will get there, especially if you rehome the plecs.
In between water changes, can I suggest you read this as it explains in more detail what you need to do to keep your fish alive and healthy.

Don't worry about the cloudy water for now. It's either sediment from the gravel/sand/ whatever you have on the bottom of the tank, or more likely a bacterial bloom - but these are not the same bacteria as grow in the filter. You mention moving the fish into your home and into a 64 litre tank. Is the tank new? If it is, that's what's causing the bloom, and if the filter is also new, that's what is causing your ammonia and nitrite problems.
Ignore what shops may tell you about not doing water changes or adding chemicals. The best thing you can do for your fish is water changes and add nothing but dechlorinator to the new water.

Any more questions, just ask.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Help needed and pleco advice
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
seachem prime is a good water dechlor its what i use and always have done, i get the big bottle and it lasts a very long time
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=seachem+prime&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aseachem+prime

also for test kits i have used the api freshwater test kit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=api+master+test+kit&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=38878554954&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1633052387163646821&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3xwk27wq6u_b

but i have also used and have this at the moment as some of my api bottles ran out and i wanted to try another test kit which is nutrafin water test kit but if more expensive, but my one runs out the end of this month but i dont check my water nomore, the only time i checked it was few days ago because at the moment i have problems with my fish and just wanted to check the water but in the future sometime i will need to reinvest in one but its not important at the moment for me
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-Nutrafin-Mini-Master-Test/dp/B0002DI2ZA

money wise its obviously best to go for api and it is worth it as its important to check your water if you have not had a tank for that long, not sure why nutrafin is more expensive dunno if its better or not than api i dunno, either one works anyway

i had 6 plecs in my tank i had my big one that i first bought ( female ), then i took 5 baby plecs from another tank because he had loads and they ended up growing half there full size in my tank and i only wanted to keep one out of the five i took and because i dont want baby plecs in my tank i kept another female so i have 2 females now and i took the other 4 to the fish shop

seeing as thought you cant have plecs in your tank maybe soon or when you can you can get a bigger tank then you can get more fish and have a plec or 2 in it  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help needed and pleco advice"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 12:02:16 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2014, 05:06:23 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 03:48:34 PM
by Sanjo
6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 10:23:27 PM
by sunshine
9 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 10:50:21 PM
by Cod_only_knows
14 Replies
Last post May 04, 2016, 08:21:38 PM
by fcmf
12 Replies
Last post May 20, 2017, 01:19:44 PM
by MarquisMirage

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: