Help & Advice With Set Up

Author Topic: Help & advice with set up  (Read 5201 times) 6 replies

Offline Imabitnewtothis

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Help & advice with set up
« on: June 06, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello to all. I have a Aqua Mode 300, and I am thinking of putting in a Boyu EF-05. I have a filter system that came with a Aqua Start 320. But since changing tanks, I am getting gunk build up on the ornaments far quicker than I had in the previous tank. So on a limited budget, I thought of installing a Boyu EF-05 external filtration system. This tank holds around 25ltrs of water and at the moment I have 6 fish in it, I have had the 6 cold water fish for 10 weeks now, and they seem to be in good health. Will the Boyu be ok for my needs, and what would you say how many fish would be ok in the Aqua Mode 300, I have had conflicting amounts from 2 local aquatics , ranging from 12 to 20. The tank is quite tall and I think 20 would be a bit cramp but I think 12 would seem like a right amount. I am also running a air curtain too so oxygen does not seem to be a problem, I have no live plants only plastic ones. Like I said I am a new by and any help would be taken on board. Many thanks for reading this Paul.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Help & advice with set up
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 07:47:12 PM »
According to google, the aquamode 300 holds 20 litres not 25 litres.

I'm afraid the shops that told you how many fish the tank will hold are all wrong; it won't hold even 12 fish. And to be honest I can't think of any cold water fish that would fit in a tank that size, let alone six of them. The only true cold water fish are goldfish and 20 litres is far too small for even one. The other fish sold as cold water are in fact temperate and need a minimum temperature of 18oC. And none of them are suitable for 20 litres either. Fish like danios and white clouds are small but need far more swimming space than 20 litres allows.
Personally, I think the reason that the mess is building up is because the tank is overstocked, not because you need a new filter.

A 20 litre litre tank is suitable for only a single betta (siamese fighting fish) and they need a heater to keep the water at 26 to 27 oC

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »
That's a shame!
The aqua curtain sounds interesting. Have you thought of going planted? There are some amazing photos and videos online of aquascaping, often in very small tanks, some with shrimp in rather than fish.
It can look fantastic, I think you would need a heater though for shrimp??

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 08:28:45 PM »
what would you say how many fish would be ok in the Aqua Mode 300, I have had conflicting amounts from 2 local aquatics , ranging from 12 to 20.

Hi Paul & welcome to the forum  :wave:

Unfortunately misleading advice from fish retailers is all too common - they're after your cash at the end of the day  >:( 

Just following Sue's advice about the likely over-stocking, my suggestion would be to save the money you had set aside for the external filter and put it towards a larger second-hand tank - with a bit of perseverance you could pick up a decent 60l (or thereabouts) tank for not much more than the cost of buying the Boyu filter new (try Ebay/Gumtree/Aquarist Classifieds).

You could still then keep the Aqua Mode for a Betta as Sue suggests or perhaps even something a bit different like a shrimp tank.

Out of interest, what are the fish you currently have?

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »
There are some amazing photos and videos online of aquascaping, often in very small tanks, some with shrimp in rather than fish. It can look fantastic, I think you would need a heater though for shrimp??

Beat me to the shrimp suggestion!   :o   :raspberries

I believe (although I'm probably wrong as I'm no shrimp expert) that shrimp are fairly tolerant of temperature and could be kept in 'temperate' conditions, although a heater is still recommended in such tanks just to make sure the temperature doesn't go too low.

Offline Imabitnewtothis

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 02:38:48 PM »
Hi. Thank you all for your replays. I will look for a bigger tank, and then work from there, and will ask for suggestions once i get one, to get suggested stocking, and filter choices. I thanks everyone who replied so now I am better armed Paul.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »
Hello Paul  :wave:, and welcome to the forum. This fishkeeping lark is a steep learning curve, but you're in the right place for lots of good advice and flippant comments. :))

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help & advice with set up"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 11:11:09 AM
by Andy The Minion
17 Replies
Last post December 15, 2016, 05:03:23 PM
by Sue
23 Replies
Last post December 31, 2016, 02:42:20 PM
by animal_freeride
16 Replies
Last post August 04, 2017, 09:49:19 AM
by Redbelly
5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 09:30:04 PM
by MarquisMirage
1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 07:16:59 PM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 09:30:55 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: