Happy Ending..

Author Topic: happy ending..  (Read 5600 times) 13 replies

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
happy ending..
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:38:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi guys, just thought i would share my happy ending . after 7 months of problems i now have an aquarium full of happy fish.. water good and they seem content.. for anyone having problems with their water etc just keep at it as its all worth it ..  last month was the first time i went away on holiday and my fish survived :-)  i even set up a web cam thing so i could check that light/heater/filter etc was working just in case ...thanks to everyone who helped me on here especially sue....  well happy   :fishy1:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: happy ending..
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 04:41:03 PM »
I am glad to hear that things are now going well  :cheers:

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »
Good news!

I'd love to hear more about your webcam setup.

How have you gone about setting it up? Is it on all the time or only when you're away on holiday?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »
hi, i bought a web cam called  wanscam from ebay for about £26 and plugged into broadband hub and set it up on my iPhone.. i down loaded app and now i can see them when i want ... when out and about i just press app on my phone and it connects to webcam.. i put it on a chair in front of my tank and checked everything was ok every morn and every night when on my hols,could even remotely move up and down left or right and even take a picture !  you could  leave it on all the time if you wish but i use it for when I'm away then if any probs i ring my daughter to go and sort it.. :-) 
 hope this helps

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »
That webcam sounds great! Thanks for the info.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:52:44 PM »
Glad all has gone well this time, I remember the return from your last holiday  :(

Very impressed with technology skills!

Anne

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »
hi, i bought a web cam called  wanscam from ebay for about £26 and plugged into broadband hub and set it up on my iPhone.. i down loaded app and now i can see them when i want ... when out and about i just press app on my phone and it connects to webcam.. i put it on a chair in front of my tank and checked everything was ok every morn and every night when on my hols,could even remotely move up and down left or right and even take a picture !  you could  leave it on all the time if you wish but i use it for when I'm away then if any probs i ring my daughter to go and sort it.. :-) 
 hope this helps

Just wondering ... can you share the URL or the IP address of the webcam to make it available for friends/family to view? Just wondering if it's technically feasible...

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 10:31:43 PM »
thanks anne, yes last holiday they all died on me :-( but this time all survived :-) and my tech skills are a bluff its  a plug and play thing ;-)  ...... simon, i believe anyone with the app could view it though they prob have to set it up at your house first though , I'm really not a computer buff and if i can do it anyone can..  surprised it worked ;-)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 10:43:27 PM »
:)

But you don't think it would be possible to send, for example, your cousin in Australia an address or a code so they could view it through the app?

Sorry for the 20 Q's - just trying to suss out the capabilities of the hardware/software.

I'm sort of exploring the possibility of making a community tank into a community tank, in the other sense, and whether this would be the right bit of kit to do it.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »
There are some issues you should be aware of before providing such a service. In no particular order, some of these are:

• Most home broadband packages do not have a fixed IP address that you could share. Your ISP will have a pool of addresses that are assigned dynamically.
  • You may be violating the terms and conditions of your broadband package by providing such a service.
  • The ADSL link that is used to provide your connection is asymmetric. By that I mean it is a lot quicker to download stuff from the internet than it is to upload stuff (My link goes at 6021kbs download, but only 979kbs upload. Your figures will be different). A webcam provides graphic images/video that are inherently of a large size.
  • Providing a public web presence opens you up to all sorts of security issues
However, these problems may be addressable and it is, technically, possible to provide such a link provided your ISP has no objections.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline SteveS

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 01:08:26 PM »
I meant to add that I would be happy to help you through the process if you decide to go through with it. But I would suggest opening a new topic rather than tagging it on to the end of an unrelated one.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 01:20:52 PM »
Thanks Steve.

I'll check the TOC's of my broadband contract and I'll have to check out the capabilities of the camera Fruitbat is using.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 02:37:31 PM »
The webcam itself won't be a problem. There are thousands of items on eBay, including a 5Megapixel job for £1.69!!!

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
there you go simon, I'm not a techy kind of guy, amazing i got it working ! 

Tags: sue 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "happy ending.."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 08:52:52 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post December 26, 2016, 02:27:00 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2018, 09:39:57 PM
by Lynne W
0 Replies
Last post January 09, 2019, 08:58:47 AM
by Robert
4 Replies
Last post December 25, 2020, 01:08:40 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: