Guppy Nipping Platies

Author Topic: Guppy nipping platies  (Read 6090 times) 12 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Guppy nipping platies
« on: October 23, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I didn't want guppies and i still don't, but sister bought two tiny ones to add to her 6 and they started picking on the newcomers, so she said (cover your eyes if sensative) did i want them or they would be flushed down toilet, well  of course i took them and added them to my two new platies, all seemed well yesterday, but today one little blighter keeps nipping at my lovely platies, i intend taking him and buddy back to LFS tomorrow, just worried this is not doing my newly introduced platies any good, and is there anyway to isolate little nipper till lunch tomorrow?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Guppy nipping platies
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:26:28 PM »
You don't happen to have a fry net/box on hand do you?

Or an empty margarine/ice cream tub complete with lid? If you do, punch some holes in it smaller than a tiny guppy and secure it somehow to the side of the tank. Bits of wire, length of string, whatever you can find that would do the job. Punch holes in the lid as well and put that over the tub. Guppies can jump. If you have any plant bits, real or fake, it would stop the guppy getting too stressed.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 06:49:39 PM »
As iv'e never observed fish behaviour before, i could be over reacting, maybe it's just new tank community, establishing pecking (nipping) order?. Platies keep trying to get through the mirrored sides of the tank (they aren't making the most of the area they have, daft buggers.) Will keep observing but thank for the suggestion Sue, knew someone would have good idea (i think one of those net box things is next purchase)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:54:13 PM »
 If the sides of the tank are mirrored, the platies think there's more tank through the mirror. They'll eventually learn they can't get to it.

I've heard of some guppies being nippy fish. Once they've gone, any damage to the platies should heal.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
they would be flushed down toilet

Jeez thats harsh  :(

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »
Yes and the unfathomable thing is, she spent nearly two months going mad like me doing a "fishless cycle" ah well, iv'e got them for now, things seem to have calmed down, ive bought a little islolation box just incase he has to go in the naughty corner lol. i'll see how he carries on and he may go back to shop next week if he plays up, (he also spoils my colour co ordination plan)  :)) Update, guppy seems to have calmed down a bit, and is quite friendly, wonder if he's trying to mate? anyway what i'm wondering now, is it unfair to keep one of a species, as i now have one tiny endler, i'd be happy to keep him,  and one small fancy guppy, who is a bit too garish and frantic for me,  should they really be with lots of their own kind, if so, i really don't want more so will have to see what shop policy is on returning.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:24:52 PM »
 Endlers and guppies do like being in a group. 5-6 but get all males or you'll be swamped

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »
Endlers to tend to be less annoying to tankmates than guppies. I have males and they spend almost all their time together, either displaying to each other or chasing each other, but without harming each other. You could always ask the shop if they'd part-ex the guppy for endlers.

If you do get more male endlers, they will display to each other. They spread their fins, arch their bodied sideways and sort of twitch. It looks quite alarming the first time you see it.  ;D

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 01:52:33 PM »
Ooh thats a good idea, little endler is no bother, guppy is frantic show off lol he's settled down now and only harasses platy's now and then

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »
good for you rescuing the guppies  ;D  ;D

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
Thanks Brian, yes i think they will be happy with more of their own kind, one way or another : )

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 12:31:36 PM »
If you do get more male endlers, they will display to each other. They spread their fins, arch their bodied sideways and sort of twitch. It looks quite alarming the first time you see it.  ;D

It certainly had me wondering what was going on, it is funny to watch though

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »
I returned them to fish store, so hopefully they will end up with more of their own kind  :fishy1:  :fishy1: but i must admit, compared to two slow platys, they were interesting little guys, i now have two more little platy boys, so things are livening up  :))

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Guppy nipping platies"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 08:21:17 PM
by dbaggie
11 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 08:39:20 AM
by susie58
4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2015, 04:30:42 PM
by SteveS
3 Replies
Last post February 29, 2016, 12:45:54 PM
by Littlefish
13 Replies
Last post August 02, 2016, 09:53:30 AM
by rosaleen
9 Replies
Last post October 13, 2016, 04:41:33 PM
by Littlefish
27 Replies
Last post January 30, 2020, 09:19:30 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: