Author Topic: Green algae jungle  (Read 4627 times) 11 replies

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Green algae jungle
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:36:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone,

I was away on holiday for two weeks and came back to my fish tank a green algae jungle  :yikes:

It's a green hairy type mostly, also some bright green, almost blue type, some purple furry one and a little bit of brown one. I'll do a water test tomorrow to see if anything is out of line, but all fish are alive and look happy. My neighbour was feeding the fish every other day with the food portions I prepared and left for her, so I'm very happy that fish are there and look fine!

I recently treated the water with Nitratex, which brought nitrate level from about 80 down to 30, but one of the side effects listed is an algae growth, so that could have been a cause. I was going to get some ottos and shrimp anyway, so should I just get them and be happy that they will have plenty of algae food or look at ways of reducing it?

Pawel

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Green algae jungle
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:42:55 AM »
Definitely get the otos :) I had a bit of an algae problem in my last tank and got six otos. Two days later and there was not a spec anywhere! Personally I would clean the glass to get it looking good again right away, but I'm sure that eventually the otos would take care of it :) Just make sure that you've got a plan for when they get through all the algae lol I used to just keep some algae wafers, but you can also grow algae on rocks

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:19:29 AM »
Or you could consider nerite snails, I got 3 of them for my  juwel Rio 180 (think that's the same tank as yours?) and they cleaned it off in no time! I grow algae on rocks for them. I believe that Otos have quite a high mortality rate, but the snails just trundle about your tank doing their thing and they certainly seem to be quite sturdy :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:54:45 AM »
The long stringy alga - I just wound that round my finger and pulled till it came out. Strangely relaxing.
The blue green stuff is cyanobacter, it peels off but comes back.
The green stuff on the glass - nerites will eat that one!

Here is a link to identify the various algae and their causes. And cures. Though it mainly refers to planted tanks.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:04:15 AM »
One of my tanks is a green algae jungle, too. It grows everywhere, pump, heater, wood.... grrr.

So.... I've just ordered some Nerite snails off fleabay - they should arrive tomorrow (Thursday) and I'll let you know how they get on. I'll even get my lazy act together and do before'n'after pics. (Warning: they'll be rubbish, just like all my photography attempts!)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »
I really like my snails. I put them in my tank when I got them, expecting them to be quite slow and uninteresting, but they started moving straight away and they're quite active. They move quite quickly ( for snails) and they really do keep the tank sparkling :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:20:57 AM »
When I first got nerites I had them only in my big tank. The smaller tank has a large flat filter and the front of it was green with algae, the short type. I had a brainwave and moved one of the nerites in there. It made straight for the filter and created the most wonderful patterns as it ate its way round and round.

I should warn everyone that nerites only eat certain types of algae. The best approach is to find out why you've got algae and remedy the cause.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »
I should warn everyone that nerites only eat certain types of algae. The best approach is to find out why you've got algae and remedy the cause.

They'll have plenty of choice.... so I'll adopt the wait'n'see aproach.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »
I bought three nerites from MA but only one has survived. However it's doing a great job in the baby biorb. Now I need some more for the aquanano. (Along with all the other livestock in my wish list!)

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 05:08:58 PM »
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Snails are a sensitive subject in our house as they keep eating our courgettes in the garden.  :vcross: I know they have nothing to do with the aquarium types but my other half gets cross at the mention of a snail.  :vcross:

So I went to my local MA this morning and got 6 Amano shrimps, as we were planning to get them for a long time anyway. They got to work on the algae straight away so it looks like I’ve got the tasty variety! I'll see how they get on in a few days. I hope my chain loaches don’t eat them and that they don’t escape. I'll post some pictures ‘after’, hopefully there will be something to show.

The cyanobacter grows at a corner where a light from the window catches the tank. The shop assistant from MA said that the combination of outside light and not doing the water change for two weeks contributed to this particular problem. I'll read up on it the algae on the page you've given, Sue. I'll also see if I can shade this corner more effectively, I can't really move the tank anywhere else.

The tank didn't have much green algae until I used Nitratex, so that might have caused some imbalance. A biggish water change is due after the holiday, so I'll do that. Nitrates are about 50 in my tap water, so I’m reluctant to do too big a change, as I will put them back in. I’ve got some biohome ultimate filter media in the filter, which has been there for a couple of months, so I hope the anaerobic bacteria will establish themselves there in a while and get on with processing nitrates. Not sure what else I could do?

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »
Re the loaches and amanos, I have both with no problems. Provided the shrimps have somewhere to hide when they moult; they are very vulnerable while the new skin hardens.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »
Re the loaches and amanos, I have both with no problems. Provided the shrimps have somewhere to hide when they moult; they are very vulnerable while the new skin hardens.

Thanks Sue. My bogwood has quite a few hiding spots and this is where I suspect the Amanos are hiding at the moment. Up to three show up from time to time and proceed with algae consumption, they seem to favour the purple furry type.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Green algae jungle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post June 11, 2016, 08:18:13 PM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post February 13, 2016, 08:24:40 PM
by Robert
5 Replies
Last post November 12, 2022, 01:52:51 AM
by Matt
6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 02:45:18 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2019, 09:42:56 PM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2019, 09:21:46 AM
by Emmdee
19 Replies
Last post August 04, 2020, 07:43:07 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: