Fungal Infection

Author Topic: fungal infection  (Read 4084 times) 13 replies

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
fungal infection
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:15:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 Hi. one of my golden barbs had a fungal infection and was getting pecked at by other fish. we put him in a seperation net and treated the water . After a week he was getting better  but the water levels were getting bad so we did a water change and applied some more anti fungus solution. All the fish now seem really stressed and gulping for air at top of tank. We wre told to keep oxygen levels up when treating water, but not sure how to add more, other than another water change . Help ?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (5) - Zebra Danio (2) - Japonica Shrimp (5) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Golden Barb (4) - Angelfish (1) - Black Molly (2) - Rosy Barb (7) - Guppy (male) (12) - Platy (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: fungal infection
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »
Ways to increase oxygen levels are by making sure the water is circulating well. This can be by making sure the filter outflow is moving the water along just under the surface or by using an airstone powered by an air pump (the bubbles churn the water up rather than oxygen dissolving from the bubbles).

Fungal infections often get in when the fish is stressed. Is this one being picked on; are the levels of ammonia and nitrite at zero? And are you sure it is fungus not a bacterial infection?

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 09:37:06 PM »
The filter is still flowing and the air stone is still going. When we bought the solution they said to remove certain parts of the filter. we checked the levels and the amonia was starting to go up so i did a water change ( about 4 buckets ) i'll check levels again to make sure.

Neon Tetra (5) - Zebra Danio (2) - Japonica Shrimp (5) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Golden Barb (4) - Angelfish (1) - Black Molly (2) - Rosy Barb (7) - Guppy (male) (12) - Platy (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:01:49 PM »
This is him as he was on Monday.  The redness around the edge has gone and the patch has gone down a bit.  We allowed him out earlier as he seemed a bit better, but was being bullied again, so we put him back in isolation in the main tank.

I've checked the levels.  Ammonia is on the lowest bit.  Nitrate is in the 12.5mg/l bit.  Nitrite is 0.3mg/l bit.  I've just done another partial water change.

We've lost a penguin tetra and the smaller Angel Fish is struggling - he's swimming upside down at the moment. :-(

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:04:40 PM »
Oh and it was the carbon and the..... pecolite, or something, round stone like things, that the instructions said to remove.  It only said to put them back once treatment was complete.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 10:00:38 AM »
The things you have to remove from the filter are those media which will remove the medication. Carbon will do this, as will zeolite. The sponges, ceramic media, filter wool etc will not remove the medication and can stay in the filter. The problems arise with those filters that have only carbon containing cartridges. If you remove them, you remove all the bacteria as well. If you are seeing raised levels of ammonia and nitrite, it suggests that you have removed a lot of your bacteria, and the raised levels are stressing the affected fish making it harder for it to recover.
Raised levels of ammonia and nitrite will cause the gulping at the surface you are seeing. Ammonia burns the fish's gills making it harder to absorb oxygen and nitrite binds to the red blood cells like carbon monoxide does to us. The fish feel as though they are suffocating and instinctively go to where the water is richer in oxygen, just under the surface.

Can you tell me exactly what is supposed to be inside your filter and what you have removed.

You need to keep those levels low and the only way is by water changes, I'm afraid. Because you are treating the fish, you will remove some med with every water change so you need to replace it. If it is a med that is dosed on certain days, add it after you've done a water change if the levels show one is needed (ie ammonia and/or nitrite above 0.25). On non-dose days, add the amount of med needed to treat the amount of new water you add.

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »
The little angel fish didn't make the night. :-( 

The filter has 4 bits.  2 sponges that run down one side, I left those in.  Then a 3 layer thing.  The top layer had some fine wool and 2 bags, I'm not sure what was in those.  I left the wool and removed the bags.  I wasn't sure what zeolite was, so googled it and it looked like the stuff in the  second layer, so I removed that.  The bottom layer had 2 bags of black looking stuff that I assumed was the carbon, so I removed that.  I put them all in a bucket with water from the tank, in a vain effort to preserve some of the bacteria.  As I've done water changes, I've added a bit to the water in the bucket too.

Got a bit panicky last night, so added all those bits back again. 

I've just done another 30% water change.  The ammonia and nitrate look OK, but the nitrite is still high.

Shall I just worry about getting the tank stable again, before starting to worry about treating the poorly fish again?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »
At the moment, the water is your priority as the rest of the fish will be affected by that. The stress of having ammonia and nitrite in the water will make any sick fish worse.

As you kept the filter media in water the bacteria on there should still be alive though without food they may have started to go dormant. The good news is that they weren't out of the filter very long so if they have started to go dormant they'll wake up quickly.

It is possible that the stuff that looks like zeolite might actually be ceramic media. Zeolite is usually found in cartridges.
What is the make and model of the filter? I can see if I can find it, and what the media is.

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 02:19:25 PM »
That all sounds like it's not a complete disaster then - not yet anyway!!

It's a Fluval 305.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »
Hagen have most of their manuals on-line - this is what I've found for the Fluval 305.

Looking at that manual, they say the bottom basket should contain prefilter, carbon or zeo-carb (a mixture of zeolite and carbon). This is what they mean by prefilter and this is zeo-carb. They also make something called ammonia remover which looks very similar to zeolite and is what you might have in your filter.

I do not like these ammonia removing media in filters. At the start, they remove the ammonia so that there is none left to stimulate bacterial growth. Then they get full and stop working and you don't have any bacteria to remove the ammonia so the level of that goes up in the tank. The good news is that yours will probably be full by now if you haven't changed them since you got the filter so they probably won't absorb ammonia or medication any more but will be a home for the filter bacteria which would have grown after the ammonia remover/zeolite got full.

Leave all the media in the filter for now. Hopefully the barb will recover, and treat if necessary with the media in there.

But long term I would think seriously about your media. I would change the bottom basket to that prefilter or maybe a coarse sponge, any make cut to fit the basket. In the top basket I would put a ceramic medium with a layer of filter wool on top, any make will do, this is Fluval's ceramic medium. You didn't mention what is in the middle basket, but the best would be more ceramic medium.
You would need to change the media a bit at a time. At the most, do one basket at a time with at least a month between changes - six to eight weeks would be better.

As I've mentioned, zeo-carb and ammonia remover are not a good idea as they starve the bacteria and are not as good a home for bacteria as sponges or ceramics. Carbon also gets full and stops working - but it's only uses are to remove the brown that comes out of wood and removing medication once treatment has finished - but you need new carbon for that. Carbon is a hangover from decades ago but it is cheap which is why filter manufacturers insist on using it.

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 08:27:16 PM »
Thanks so much Sue, that's really helpful information.

The tanks levels have now returned to normal, so it looks like the bacteria were just dormant and are now back doing their stuff. :-)
I also remembered that I still had my old tank in the garage.  So I've got it out and filled it with some water from the bigger tank and put one of the bags of stuff from the filter in to give it a boost of bacteria - to make a quarantine tank.  I've put the poorly barb in and will monitor it all (fish and levels) very closely.

The middle bit of the Fulval filter looks like it's filled with the pre-filter stuff.  I found the bag of bits the guy gave me with the filter bits in.  There was a box of ammonia remover, one of carbon and one of 'Clear-max'.  Then a carrier bag of loose bits that look like the prefilter, but as it wasn't in the branded box like the other bits, I can't be sure.
The bag I took out to put in the quarantine tank, I've replaced with a bag of 'Clear-max' for now.  Partly because it said on the box it helps remove phosphate, nitrate and nitrite - as nitrite has been my problem lately, I didn't think this would be a bad move?

But I will certainly look to get the media changed in the filter.  I think I remember about you saying about the carbon with my old tank, as it came with replacement carbon filters, but we didn't bother and just used different sized sponges. 
How often would ceramic media need replacing?  Sponges you can see when they are starting to wear out a bit.  Is it the same with ceramic media?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »
Ceramic media starts to crumble when it needs replacing; it should last for years as for sponges. When It does start to go, only replace some of it in one go; maybe put the new stuff in a mesh bag to keep them separate till you've replaced all of it.

A lot of people don't like those media that remove nitrate and phosphate, especially those that have plants in the tank as plants do need nitrate and phosphate. But we have members (RichardW) who know a lot more about plants than me and may be able to comment further on this type of media. If you don't have live plants, I don't think it matters much, though they may influence algae growth.

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
Ah, Ok.  I have got live plants.  So I'll start looking into replacing some bits in the filter, and perhaps I'll start there. :-)

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »
Re your comment about the media that came with the tank - I have found there are people who prefer to take the chemical approach rather than the biological one!The problem with chemical media is that they get full and need replacing regularly. Biological methods are self replicating  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "fungal infection"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 03:01:53 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 12:01:33 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2015, 08:09:03 AM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2015, 10:39:03 PM
by Fiona
19 Replies
Last post January 20, 2016, 08:41:24 AM
by Alex_N
3 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 09:09:13 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: