Fluval Edge 46l

Author Topic: Fluval edge 46l  (Read 27677 times) 34 replies

Offline buranda

• Fishy Contributor
Fluval edge 46l
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Has anyone any experience on running one of these setups please :)

Bas

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fluval edge 46l
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:39:45 PM »
Hi Bas.

I have the smaller Edge the 23l. The only problem I've had with this tank is it can be a bit fiddly to move things around such as decor and plants due to the small opening.  I've had no problems keeping it clean and whilst my fish options were very limited I think it's a lovely tank! I was actually going to suggest it to you instead of the biorb

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »
The 43 litre Edge has the same footprint as the 23 litre, it's just taller. You'd need to bear that in mind when putting fish in it. You couldn't have any fast swimmers for instance, and would still be restricted to small fish because of the length of the tank. You could have more of them though  :D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:23:14 AM »
If you're after a smallish self-contained tank then I can recommend the AquaCube 40. (here)It's 40cm x 40 x 40 and holds a good 55litres with a huge built in filtration system in the back. It looks stylish and you can use 'oversized external' as the filter in the Community Creator. It's easy to maintain.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »
you can use 'oversized external' as the filter in the Community Creator

What defines a filter to be "oversized" as opposed to "normal"?
This is a question that has been raised a few times on here - I didnt know we had had an answer? Also, I thought that the amount of plants you have makes a difference?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »
In the CC, Peter (site owner) defines oversized as "one which is rated for at least twice the tank's volume".

But in my opinion that is a bit simplistic. It doesn't take into account that filter manufacturers often exaggerate the size of the tank a filter is suitable for. And the real flow rate in a tank is usually less, sometimes a lot less, that the stated flow rate as most manufacturers quoted flow rates are those with no media in the filter.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 01:20:51 PM »
In the CC, Peter (site owner) defines oversized as "one which is rated for at least twice the tank's volume"
Does he mean actual volume?

But in my opinion that is a bit simplistic. It doesn't take into account that filter manufacturers often exaggerate the size of the tank a filter is suitable for. And the real flow rate in a tank is usually less, sometimes a lot less, that the stated flow rate as most manufacturers quoted flow rates are those with no media in the filter.
Nor does it take into account as to how often one cleans their filter. Some people wait until the flow has noticably dropped before cleaning the filter. I wouldnt have thought that, at this point, the filter would be efficient enough to be classed as "oversized", regardless of how many times the volume its supposed to be?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 02:19:21 PM »
I think he's using total volume. In the CC, he says to enter the tank's volume, and if you don't know use the site's calulator to work it out. I cannot find any reference to reducing the volume to allow for filters, substrate, decor etc.
In the article here he gives an example of an aquarium with dimensions 60cm long x 30cm wide x 35cm deep, which he says is 63 litres or 14 gallons. The article says that the 2 inches per gall rule means 28 inches of fish. But 63 litres = 14 Imperial gallons, and stocking 'rules' use American gallons, so that should be 17 US galls for 63 litres, and 34 inches of fish under the 2 inch per gall rule. So that's another area for confusion, and a good reason to use metric measurements!

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 04:21:30 PM »
Thanks Sue  :)

I guess it will always be a controversial topic! Maybe Peter is deliberately going by total volume, because many people do not know their actual volume  ::)

Ive always played it safe and used "actual volume" in the CC, and flicked between "external" & "oversized external". On this basis, my 4ft tank is somewhere between 63% - 71% stocked. But if I were to go by the tanks total volume, it would only be 42% - 47% stocked. Hmmmmm........  ;D

.......... and you can use 'oversized external' as the filter in the Community Creator
I cannot find the LPH for the filter you refer to. Do you, by any chance, know what it (allegedly) is?
In my experience, a filter that comes with a tank is "adequate", not oversized  ::)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 12:37:04 PM »
If one followed a water molecule through the AquaCube40 filter it first passes through 32cm of course sponge then passes through 28cm of ceramic noodles. This is far thicker (by roughly x8) sponge than I've ever seen replacement filter media for the biggest of external filters in the local MA. My 2000litre outside pond has a filter where a water molecule  will pass through 5cm of sponge followed by a maximum of 10cm of ceramic noodles if it's a lucky molecule.

I haven't squeezed out my AquaCube40 sponge for at least 6 months. I put a section of filter-floss on top of the coarse sponge which catches all the bits and shreds of bog-wood. I replace this every week - I bought a big sheet of the floss for a fiver from MA and cut it up. It will last about 6 months.

....so I stand by what I said. This tank is hugely over-filtered and even 'over-sized external' does not do it justice.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
The life-journey of a water molecule. Have you been having lessons off SteveS? I only asked if you knew the LPH because I was intrigued to hear of a tank being supplied with a decent filter. Then you all wonder why people disappear off TF  ::)

EDIT: While Im at it, I may as well say that your boasting of a 32cm sponge and 28cm noodles (which for some reason is imperative that we know to be less than your 2000 litre pond filter or any media you've seen in MA), only suggests to me that the said water molecule would be considerably slowed down by such a huge obstacle course and thus rendering your "over-sized external" as being the complete opposite, unless it is powered by an oversized motor. The thickness of your sponge, the depth of your noodles, the size of your outdoor pond (how big is your indoor one?), or how long your fivers worth of floss will last you, is totally irrelevant as to the LPH of your filter. But you know what? I really couldnt give a flying monkies about any more scientific bull and quite frankly, dont care what your filter can, or cannot do.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
Wow - that told me!!

Chucklett - your reply was one of the most ill-conceived posts I've read for a long time and reflects so badly on you that you might want to consider reviewing it. The level of sarcasm, scorn, ridicule and vitriol you heaped on me was out of any resonable proportion to what I hoped was an informative post.

EDIT: 'Molecule' is taught to 12 year olds - I assumed we could all cope with that. Judging by your childish tantrum it looks like I aimed a bit high for you.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
Informative post? At no point did you answer my straight-forward question, the LPH of your filter.

And besides, your post did not come across as though you had the intention of it being informative. The fact that you "stand by what you said" indicates that you were taking up your position. This, in itself, gives me the right to take up my position and so I too stand by what I said - without a care about how it reflects upon me.

'Molecule' is taught to 12 year olds - I assumed we could all cope with that. Judging by your childish tantrum it looks like I aimed a bit high for you.
Assumption is the mother of all mistakes. At the age of 12, I was busy doing things that interested me. I was never a sheep that attended a lesson just because I was told I had to. I only went to the ones I enjoyed. So no, you didnt aim a "bit" high - you aimed FAR TOO HIGH for me. And your point being?
Ive absolutely no doubt that, in other areas, Im far more intelligent than most people, yourself and SteveS included. Breaking News: Having no scientific knowledge whatsoever does not render me stupid.

Offline Resa

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
Oh-oh, what's going on? Is the heat making everyone tetchy? I was looking forward to some friendly banter when I came back....not this! Play nice, guys!

I would imagine Colin mentioned about his sheet of floss as useful info to others, who might want to save a bit of money. What's wrong with that?
I don't know why Chucklett is so upset, Colin is/was a science teacher, so it's a reasonable assumption that he and some others would be interested in the science side of their tanks. I like to read all the posts, but if they get a bit too technical, I just skim over them....easy enough. I shouldn't think that is the reason that people wander away from the site, they would be more likely to do that, I would have thought, if there is sniping going on. There are many reasons for people dropping out. Sometimes life gets in the way of forums, (I know that ;) ) or they just stop by because they need some advice or some just 'lurk' and drop in when they feel like putting their tuppence worth in......not always helpful!

I realise that I will probably come in for some stick for getting involved in a thread that was not aimed at me, as indeed, I have been before, but I do feel that the spite that came across was somewhat over the top and unneccessary.
Colin gives loads of his time to help anyone who needs it and I for one have been very grateful to him for all the support and advice I have received during my sharp learning curve. Plus, he makes me laugh!
Why also, the dig at Steve? I have (jokingly, I think :-\ ) locked horns and teased him in the past, all in good spirit. I'm forever "going on his list" but it just makes me chuckle when he says that, or pops in to stir the pot a little.

I was surprised that Chucklett felt she should say that she is probably more intelligent than most people, including Colin and Steve...who really cares? We just like fish!
I had a horrendous time at junior school with a math teacher who delighted in making me stand at the board to do some sum or other in front of everybody, I still can't add 1 plus 1 if someone is watching me. Consequently, when I went to senior school I never did a single math problem, instead taking out my english, biology, R.E. or almost any other subject and doing that. Obviously, my math teacher was aware of this but allowed me to do that. In hindsight, perhaps not the best thing for me, but hey, that was then and the world was a very different place.
I have no degrees but have managed to get through life so far, and it makes no difference to me whether folk have degrees or mathematical or scientific brains....I don't feel threatened by it.
I have a friend who takes every opportunity with everybody she comes across to drop in to the conversation that she, her husband (who used to be a teacher) and their son all have degrees. She has zero confidence and was a librarian, he is so offensive without realising it, that he alienates any friends they get and their son has never had a job except a brief stint at a call centre, which he had to leave as he couldn't cope with it. So, further education hasn't helped them much.
Everyone is different, thankfully...or we wouldn't need assorted biscuits...would we? :)
We are normally such a friendly, happy group, it would be a shame if that were to change.

Well, enough waffle from me (I hear your sighs of relief), please be nice, we lost Dave after someone was rude putting their point across...I should hate for that to happen again.

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 11:51:27 PM »
You're right Resa. You shouldnt get involved - certainly not to defend one party, or the other, without considering all the facts from both sides.

And if you feel that "somebody was rude putting their point across" (re: Dave), then how comes its perfectly acceptable for SteveS to be so arrogant and rude? Hypocrite.

Besides, I find it quite amusing that you appear to be more concerned about having lost Dave from the forum - and before you go putting words into my mouth, I will point out that I did actually like Dave (if he's the one Im thinking of from the old forum) - rather than having lost a very knowledgable, friendly, helpful member who has been here for years. You state that you're only here because you like fish, then how comes you backed up the very person who was making mistakes, raring off at the very person who was trying to help? Natalia could see flaws in Daves plans that would essentially put fish/plants wellbeing in jeopardy at a later date, so she was absolutely right to give her opinions. Being met with someone who wouldn't take her seriously, must have been quite infuriating and thus understandable she should "lose her rag". The Five Freedoms protects fish too.....

Gosh this site is so full of eejits..... I didnt say that I was "probably" more intelligent, I said "undoubtedly" more intelligent - I rest my case (or rather you, among others, rest it for me!  ;D )

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 02:02:41 AM »
Hey, come on....have you had a bad week or something?

I only got involved because I felt that you didn't need to be so unpleasant in your response.
I personally don't find Steve to be arrogant and rude, I take what he says or rather how he says it, with a pinch of salt. I have a Yorkshire father-in-law and a mother who "calls a spade, a spade" so perhaps I am just used to Steve's type of plain speaking. Or maybe, I'm just an eejit, who doesn't recognise rudeness when I see it.

However, I am pleased that I have been able to amuse you, as you had seemed to have had a sense of humour by-pass.
It was irrelevant to me who had or had not made mistakes or who was offering guidance. I had taken issue only with the tone that the guidance was given. I have never said that the person was not knowledgeable but I'm not sure I would use the term "friendly" and I don't feel that just because someone "has been here for years" means that they automatically know everything or have the right to be judgemental of others who perhaps don't agree with their way of thinking. That person still 'pops' in now and again though, even after saying they were leaving because they didn't feel they fitted in.

Healthy debates and discussions are one thing, but it is a shame when someone can't put their point across without resorting to spitefulness and/or insults.
I have found, with a couple of exceptions, people on this forum to be friendly, helpful and welcoming to new fish keepers....it would be a real shame if that changed.

Wishing you a happy weekend...

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »
Firstly, I would like to apologise to Resa and Colin. You seem to have stepped into an argument between Chucklett and myself and got caught in the cross-fire. I regret this.

Now, Chucklett... I will have one stab at this; I'm not about to get involved in a war of words with you. It seems that I have offended you in some manner.

I am totally at a loss when, where and how this occurred. The only place where we have crossed swords recently was in a thread about water temperatures, but you posted that this was a "DEBATE" and "THAT NO-ONE WAS HURT". So I assumed that this was the case and was happy to let it rest. After all, it's not the first time you and I have had these sort of exchanges. I assumed that things would cool down, if necessary, of their own accord.

From your recent sniping at my other posts and from your angry posts in this thread it has become clear to me, perhaps belatedly, that I was mistaken. You seem to think I have been rude and arrogant. Arrogant? I don't think so. Although it's not beyond the realms of possibility as it can be one of my (many) failings. But rudeness is not! However, if you feel it is so, then I have failed to make my point in a clear manner. If this is the case, I apologise for the manner in which I phrased my posts. I do not always find it easy to express myself in writing.

You can accept this apology or not; I really don't care! If you do, it might be a nice gesture to apologise yourself to Colin and Resa. They have done nothing to earn your rudeness and contempt. If you don't, then you do no-one but yourself a disservice.

Regards, Steve

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
Dear Resa,
First of all, please, accept my apologies for “popping in again” – I am really sorry about it.
The reason for me doing it this time is that my humble self has been brought into the conversation yet again...
May I enquire about the guidelines on what language and style is considered plain to the point speaking in comparison to rudeness? It appears that this largely depends on the person who is being judged... In this case, again, accept my sincere apologies for having used the style and language which is only allowed for selected few. I understand that it was extremely inappropriate that I dared to use that sort of style as I do not belong to the approved members list.
I also understand that I should not dare to think that I have some knowledge on aquariums – this has not been approved either. The only thing I can be proud of is the fact that I provided an everlasting entertainment and a topic of conversation.
Sincerely yours,
Natalia

Dear Steve,
I have just seen your recent entry whilst preparing my letter to Resa. I can say that I quite like your style and respect your knowledge. However, I do not think that both Chucklett and you have to apologise to Resa or Colin. As I understand, Resa and Colin have joined into the conversation out of their free will and were not forced to do so. Therefore, logically – this is not yours or Chucklett’s fault.
Steve, I am the one who will be beaten to shreds here – and brought into any conversation where a symbol of the Evil of The Universe is needed. Please, do not add Chucklett to this. Theoretically, The Evil of The Universe can have more than one name and multiple faces (Chucklett being the second candidate to join me) but I would rather keep it simple: dear all, please, be so kind to concentrate on my humble self – I am getting used to it.
Sincerely yours,
Natalia

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
I think everything's been said that can be said - and a close reading of the replies speaks volumes.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »
Hi Colin,
That was exactly my point - I am glad you agree... :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fluval edge 46l"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
295 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 12:18:44 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2020, 04:40:32 PM
by Johno2009

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: