Fluval Edge 46l

Author Topic: Fluval edge 46l  (Read 27700 times) 34 replies

Offline buranda

• Fishy Contributor
Re: Fluval edge 46l
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Folks
I am sorry for posting this topic, all I wanted was some advise.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 01:33:45 PM »
Hi Buranda,
I am SOOOOOO sorry about it. Beleive me, this is nothing to do with you wanting some advice - this is just "us" getting extremely stupid - so much so that we happenned to involve a completely innocent person - you.... I am apologising wholeheartedly for all of us, silly sods...

Offline buranda

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »
Thank you Natalie  :)

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
Hello Buranda,

I would like to say that I am sorry if my remarks made you feel uncomfortable, that was obviously not my intention.
Please don't be sorry for asking questions, ask away....you WILL get loads of excellent advice here.

Best wishes
Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
Firstly, I would like to apologise to Resa and Colin. You seem to have stepped into an argument between Chucklett and myself and got caught in the cross-fire. I regret this.

Hi Steve,

Sorry...I meant to reply to you earlier....no apology needed on your part, I put myself in the firing line...but thanks anyway ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
Hi Folks
I should have added you to my list of apologies earlier. The fallout had to... well fall... somewhere. It was your bad luck you were underneath. My regrets.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
Hi Folks

Buranda - absolutely no need to apologise at all. I was hoping my post would give you an alternative tank to think about other than the Fluval Edge. I have no experience of the Fluval - but I have of the Cube40 so I thought I'd point some differences between the two. Keep posting and asking for advice.... but it is only a view-point of a stranger and you're free to accept it or not.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
Hi Bas, sorry to see your thread got hijacked!

I'm hoping we're all friends again now and this was a case of the cursed internet forum syndrome where it's so hard to communicate at times and far too easy to get the wrong end of the stick / feel something was more aggressive than intended without body language and tone to help us out! Still it's a sad day here seeing such things going on :-( I think everyone has valuable contributions to add and it'd be a shame to lose anyone to an argument / what seemed a harmless enough debate.

Back to your actual topic Bas but as colin says it would be worth looking at other small tanks. I imagine you get more space for the same money with other tanks as the Edge is built to look chic rather than practicality! I do love the look of my edge, but they have a small opening so depending on how dainty your hands and arms are this may pose an issue. I've not had many issues with maintenance of mine and im pretty clumsy though. Another consideration is if you intend to have live plants - the edge is very low light so you have to get plants that will cope with this.

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »
Hi Colin, while scanning through this topic I saw this comment.
I haven't squeezed out my AquaCube40 sponge for at least 6 months.
I have cut my sponge in half so I can rinse it out alternativly rather than the whole thing. Thought that maybe something useful for your tank too?

Offline Resa

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »
Hi DJT,

What a good idea! You should add it to the tips thread.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 08:03:20 PM »
Hi Buranda,
Going back to your questions.  4 out of my 6 fish tanks are small tanks, so maybe I can post some suggestions? I hope I will not set your head spinning as there are as multiple combinations / options as any imagination can bring.  Fluval Edge. I agree with Jesnon – it is created to be “trendy” – and there is nothing wrong with it. The Edges do look superb, indeed. However, what Jesnon said is correct – they have a “fiddly” entrance for maintenance and also have limited options on live plants. A while ago, when Jesnon was creating her set up, I posed a link for her with George Farmer (a very famous “aquarium plants person”) planting an Edge – for the sake of me, I cannot remember now what was the name of the thread... maybe Jesnon can remember?
Colin’s suggestion is good as well – plenty of media can be put there so it is a definite advantage. However, that LPH question (sorry, Colin!) and the fact that the output of the filter – I believe – is fixed and cannot be adjusted may pose a little bit of problem if you intend to put live plants in...
Most of my relatively small tanks have external filters – I find it very convenient, easy to maintain, aesthetically pleasing (no bulky internal filters inside) and certainly very well “overfiltered” and flexible – you can play with positioning of inflow and outflow. Mind you, all my tanks are “open top” – e.g. there are no hoods which I dislike and this also allows greater flexibility of arranging things. I do have covers – custom made glass ones with the cuts for equipment. I know this is a more expensive option but apart from your space, it also depends on your budget.
Maybe it would be a good idea just take one day and travel around aquatic shops in the area close to you, seeing what they have on offer? There might be something which you never saw before but rather like... Possibilities are endless....

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 08:37:53 PM »

the fact that the output of the filter – I believe – is fixed and cannot be adjusted may pose a little bit of problem if you intend to put live plants in...

Hi Natalia, the aqua nano 40 does have an adjustable outflow (comes with a few different attachments). I am using the 'funnel' shape directed slightly up and towards the glass for surface agitation.

Maybe it would be a good idea just take one day and travel around aquatic shops in the area close to you, seeing what they have on offer? There might be something which you never saw before but rather like... Possibilities are endless....

I agree with natalia on this, I went to numerous stores and looked online at alot of tanks to help me decide what to go for.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 09:22:27 PM »
Thanks Daniel, that cleared part of the question - it is always good to have people keeping various makes of tanks to get a first hand experience / information on various options. One more question - perhaps you know the LPH for this tank? The reason I am asking / concerned is that planted tanks need a fairly high LPH (if one is serious about not just having a tank with a few plants but going "fully planted")... I don't know what Buranda has in mind regarding live plants but I think any information will help her... :)

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
Hi Natalia,

im not sure what you mean by LPH? I know the filter pump (which is a Maxi102) is rated 500L/hr. My aqua nano 55L is planted with non demanding plants. I belive you can buy spare outflow attachments for this tank including spray bars.

Im not sure the exact maths of working out the flow rate after it has passed through the very large filter compartments/media however all my plants still sway with the flow of water. I also have larva rock with plants attached to ... correct me if im wrong but I believe this type of rock can house bacteria like in a filter?

My biggest advice to Buranda is shop around, look at lots of tanks and if you can, go for the biggest size you can, as water quality will be more stable in a larger volume and increase the range of fish you can have :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »
Good tip about the filter sponge, Daniel - thanks. DJT covered the pump bits - I'll just add that I use an air pump for surface movement to help gas exchange and to help circulation in the bottom corner of the tank. Plus, I like the bubbles.  :)

But definitely - shop around.... and make sure you either budget for a stand of make sure you have a sturdy bit of furniture to put it on. If you can't sit on the furniture safely then you shouldn't put a ~50litre tank on it.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fluval edge 46l"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
295 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 12:18:44 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2020, 04:40:32 PM
by Johno2009

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: