Author Topic: Fluval Edge 23l  (Read 17231 times) 9 replies

Offline Peppersj

• Fishy Contributor
Fluval Edge 23l
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:17:10 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello.
I need some advice for my filter.
I use a sponge, carbon, and Biomax. After reading a few posts am I correct in thinking the carbon is unnecessary and may even be a hindrance. The tank has been running about 3 weeks now.

Thanks

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fluval Edge 23l
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »
Hi Peppersj - I have the same tank as you and was advised by the lovely guys here to just leave the carbon out as well as the 'algae' removing thing that also came with the setup and add in another sponge instead. I'm not sure what to do if you've already been using your carbon as it may have some useful bacteria in it and also have been all 'used up' already - but I was advised to keep it just in case I needed to remove medication from the tank. I'd see what the other guys suggest!

When you say it's been running for 3 weeks is that 3 weeks of cycling the tank or 3 weeks of it with fish in?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:45:41 AM »
Jesnon has beaten me to it  :D She is the one to ask about details of the tank as she has one herself.

Carbon isn't necessary on a routine, it's a hang over from decades past. But you can still use it you want to.

Carbon adsorbs things, but it gets used up fairly quickly. It is also a home for the filter bacteria (which is why I say to change it now if you intend doing so, before it has chance to grow many). The problems with carbon are:
it does stop working after a few days so it you do want it to remove something like the brown colour from bogwood it has to be replaced frequently.
carbon granules crumble over time, so if you don't bother changing it the granules will slowly dispappear
carbon does adsorb medication, which is why the bottle of med will say to remove any carbon before use. If it is old carbon, it will be full but the danger is that the med could be more strongly attracted to the carbon than what's already on it, and displace the old stuff. But  lots of people have no problems treating sick fish with old carbon in the filter. It's new carbon that would definitely remove meds.

You said in another post a couple fo days ago that you don't have fish yet. Are you doing a fishless cycle (with ammonia or fishfood) or just waiting till you find fish you want and will then do a fish-in cycle? Depending on exactly what you are doing and where you are up to (if it's fishless cycling) now might well be the best time to swap the carbon for more sponge or biomax if you choose to do that.

Offline Peppersj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »
Thanks both for the replies. I have no fish as yet but had planned to get some today? I have been using Nutrafin Cycle bacteria since I started it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
If you get fish today, you will find yourself doing a fish-in cycle. Every report I have read on Nutrafin Cycle says it does not work. And even if it did, you would have to add a source of ammonia as well to feed the bacteria.

There are only 2 bacterial starters that are reputed to work sometimes and they are Tetra Safe Start and Dr Tim's One & Only (if you can find it in the UK). But even they need ammonia to get the bacteria to grow, and they do not cycle a tank instantly. And they don't work every time.

Can I suggest you read this to see what you will be letting yourself in for if you get fish today.

With a tank the size of the Edge, you are very limited as to what fish you can have. Most of them are tiny shoaling fish, but a shoal of even the tiniest is too much for a fish-in cycle. Your tank is 6 American gallons and the maximum for a fish-in cycle is 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons. So the maximum amount you can get is fish with an adult size adding up to 1 and a bit inches.

Do you have a liquid reagent testing kit? You will need one to do a fish-in cycle if you get fish today. If you decide to do a fishless cycle, you will also need one.

Offline Peppersj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 02:12:46 PM »
So better to do fishless cycling?And I'll buy that product you mentioned instead...

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »
You'll find it hard to source Dr Tim's in the UK as it's American, but Tetra Safe Start is available here (assuming you are in the UK). But even if it works (not guaranteed) it won't cycle a tank on its own. People report doing a fishless cycle in as little as two weeks using it when it takes about 6 to 8 weeks without. You will still need a source of ammonia whether it's ammonia solution/fishfood in a fishless cycle or fish, in a fish-in cycle.

HAve you decided what fish you want to get?

Offline Resa

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 06:19:21 PM »
Hi Peppersj,

Both Jesnon and I used the Tetra Safe Start, and I think it reduced the time for my tank to cycle, but like Sue said, it isn't instant. You will need your testing kit so you can test for ammonia and nitrites. Also, if you decide to get a bottle of the Safe Start, make sure you get one with the longest expiry date you can find.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Peppersj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
I thought better of getting fish today. So I'll cycle the tank without fish as it seems safest/ easiest. And I haven't decided on fish. Choice is quite limited where I live, there is a local supplier about 40 minutes away and a Pets at Home closer. And I realise the tank size is restrictive.
I like Neon Tetra, and Siamese Fighting Fish, but I certainly haven't made any choices yet.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM »
Siamese fighting fish can be a bit hit and miss in an Edge. They need to breathe air at the surface, but they are not the brightest of fish and some can't find that little square of air. Others are fine. If you get a siamese fighting fish and see that it is having problems, the answer is to lower the water level so there is air under the top glass. It doesn't look the way it's supposed to, but at least the sff can breathe.
But in an Edge, it would be just the one fish, nothing else. The only other fish there would be room left for would be so small they'd get eaten.

Neons are a bit too active for a 23 litre tank, I'm afraid. And they tend to just die for no apparent reason in tanks less than 6 months old. The only explanation anyone can come up with is that they need some micro-organism other than the filter bacteria to be well established.

What is your tapwater like, acidic or alkaline; soft or hard? Test kits contain pH testers so you can find out if you have acidic or alkaline water. As for hardness, your water supplier's website should have that somewhere (though some companies make it a bit hard to find)
I do have a list of fish that are suitable for an Edge, but rather than type the whole thing, once I know what your water is like I can tell you which would be suitable for that as well.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fluval Edge 23l"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
295 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 12:18:44 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM
by ColinB
34 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 10:54:36 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2020, 04:40:32 PM
by Johno2009

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: