Author Topic: Fish that can fit in a 10L tank?  (Read 45324 times) 15 replies

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
  • Blue Rams - Never Again...
Fish that can fit in a 10L tank?
« on: May 19, 2015, 04:05:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I am very new to fish keeping, only experience being a family fish tank which was mainly maintained by my parents when I was younger. I am looking for a small tank which is preferably inexpensive to put in my room. I looked about the internet and found the 'Marina 360 10L'. It has good reviews on amazon (How reliable they are, I do not know) and has an in-built filtering/lighting system.

I want to know if this is a good quality tank (good enough to keep the poor fish alive ;) ) and what would be the best type/number of fish to put in it for me (new to fish keeping)?

Thanks,
Barney

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish that can fit in a 10L tank?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »
Hi Barney  :wave:

I have to tell you that a 10 litre tank is not suitable for any fish. You might get away with keeping shrimps in it but that's about all. Please ignore all those comments on Amazon. This size is not suitable for neon tetras, white clouds etc and certainly not for goldfish.
If you went for something a bit bigger you would be able to keep a siamese fighting fish, usually known by the name betta these days. The minimum for a betta is 5 American gallons, which is 19 litres.

But small tanks are harder to maintain and don't give you much choice in fish. If you could accommodate something with a footprint of 60 x 30cm you'd have much more choice. The 50 litre tank in my signature is this size, though it is a shallow tank. Taller tanks would give you something like 60 litres. And even bigger would give you a lot more choice.
If a larger tank like this costs a bit too much for a first tank (you may decide fish keeping isn't for you after all) look at second hand tanks on Ebay, freecycle, facebook groups etc.

You will need a tank with a filter, heater and lights. There are few cold water fish suitable for small tanks, most small fish are tropical which is why you need a heater.

Something your family may not have known about when you were a child is cycling a tank. This is the name given to the process of growing bacteria in the tank which 'eat' the toxic waste made by the fish.
Before you go any further, can I suggest you read these:
Cycling without fish
Cycling with fish

Cycling without fish is easier because if you make mistakes you don't kill any fish.

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 04:19:06 PM »
Hi again,
I had another look for 20L+ tanks and found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superfish-Home-25-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Black-25-Litre-/171769531223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27fe430b57

Would this be a better choice? I am trying to get an 'all in one' unit to save space rather than a tank and separate filter.
If this tank would be suitable what would be the best choice of fish for a beginner? 
Thanks again.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »
A 25L tank is still very small, it's a "nano" tank and you could only fit a very few small fish in it. They are almost the same price as bigger tanks and take up almost as much space.

If you want to buy from EBay, look at something like the CLassica Paradom 58 litre, it's only £10 more than the one you mention and holds over twice as much water, hence more than twice as many fish. There are plenty more tanks about the 60 litre mark available cheaply.

Everybody here will probably discourage you from buying a small tank as most have tried it and been disappointed!

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
That tank is suitable for a betta or a few endlers. They both need a heater, which is not included.

The problem with these nano tanks as Richard says is that you are very limited as to what can be kept in them. Yes, you will find people on-line saying they keep this and this and this in one but no experienced fishkeeper would ever put the fish they are suggesting in a tank this size.

Perhaps a better way to approach this is for you to tell us if there are any fish you really want, and then we could advise as to the size tank you'd need.

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
Hi,
I appreciate that the small tanks do not give much of an option but my main restricting factors are cost and space.
I would love to have a bigger tank but I simply don't have the space. I liked the 'Superfish Home 25' because it is rectangular and not too big. If there is a tank similar to the superfish but slightly taller/wider (Horizontal depth/front-back depth) to increase the volume without being much more expensive that would be good, but I am struggling to find something like that....

I can only get the types of fish that my local fish store stocks. I need to go and see what they have in because this changes frequently. I will definitely know what kind of fish I will be getting before I get the tank so I get an appropriately sized tank.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Just found a 40L version of the Superfish Home: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superfish-Home-40-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-White-40-Litre-/161686559065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a5451959

Would this be a good choice or is it still too small/bad quality?

Thanks.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 07:17:18 PM »
That tank is a much better size, though at 40 litres still won't take many fish - and you'll be restricted to those fish which grow to 2.5cm or less. Remember the fish in the shop are babies, they will grow!
It still doesn't have a heater so you'll need to buy one, though apparently there is space in the filter for it so the tank won't look as cluttered.

Maidenhead Aquatics stock it so even if you buy on-line I suggest you go and look at it if you have a branch near you. What you want to look at in particular is whatever is inside the filter. A lot of small tanks' filters come with nothing but carbon filled cartridges which are not very good media. Much better is a filter that has sponge inside.

The tanks you've been looking at are 'designer tanks'; that is, they look very pretty but cost a lot for the size. You might want to look at more 'ordinary' tanks which cost less.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 08:57:12 PM »
You can save a fortune buying second hand. Check out eBay and Gumtree, they are usually filled with bargains. Most of the time the seller will also throw in heaters, filters, siphons, nets, food and all sorts of other fishy paraphernalia. I have an aquanano 40 due to space limitations. Cracking tank and whilst its cube shape does limit fish choices, there are still plenty of suitable fish. It's 55l and I wouldn't recommend anything smaller if your after a shoal of fish. 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:14:33 PM »
I agree with Cod_only_knows. I look on ebay a lot and last year picked up a 34 litre tank complete with heater, filter, a couple of pumps and several ornaments for the grand total of 99p!!!!!

The trick is to change the search to the items closest in distance to you that are collection only and hope that nobody else is interested.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 10:29:30 PM »
Spot on notungz. I'm amazed the price some tanks go for. I saw someone giving away a Fluval Rio 180 with external filter, two heaters and lighting just down the road from me (already gone before I spotted it :( ). Lots of very expensive tanks go for well below what you'd expect on eBay and they almost always come with extras. Sorting by distance is a great way of ensuring you don't get a bargain on a tank only to spend what you've saved on petrol!

I've got three carrier bags full of ornaments in my shed that came with my aquanano 40 and stand. I also got a spare filter, three heaters, bucket, net, siphon, two algae scrapers, loads of food and treatments. All for the grand total of £50! I only had to buy substrate, new ceramic noodles, plants and of course fish! 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 06:24:34 AM »
Look up http://www.lobay.co.uk/

It's local ebay. Put your postcode in and it will show you details of items (you can be specific by removing all the writing in the browsing bar and inserting something like AQUARIUMS).  You can set the distance, the minimum being 5 miles. All collection only

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 08:39:25 PM »
Hi again,
After doing a bit more research and going to my local fish shop I found this tank: http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/fluval/elite-and-marina-fun-aquariums/marina-premium-54-aquarium-set-white.html

It seems to have a better filter, is slightly cheaper and bigger. Additionally the local shop had one on display and it seemed to be of good quality.

Anyone know about this tank? Struggling to find reviews online.

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 08:58:44 PM »
The tank looks fine but the filter leaves a bit to be desired. It is a Marina i160, according to Hagen's website - they are the manufacturers of Marina products. The filter contains carbon filled cartridges which I don't like. if you get this tank I would suggest you get some filter sponge, and make as long as it is the same size of bigger than the cartridges and use that instead.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »
That's actually the very same tank as I have - I got it for the 'footprint' (60x30 giving more choice) but without the extra weight which the taller tanks would have. I really like it - looks good, is 'finished' well (better than the Clearseal tanks I used to have, where the sealant looked a bit dubious), and heater and filter function absolutely fine.

The filter that came with mine is actually a Marina i110 with one carbon-filled cartridge; as Sue says, you could replace this cartridge with filter sponge (or filter wool). The filter has a 'waterfall' effect - it sits above the water line, causing the water to fall in, but it tends not to have much surface agitation; this doesn't seem to have had any negative effect on my tetras and cories, though - and fish which tend to prefer more surface agitation (eg danios) would be better in bigger tanks anyway. Where the water falls in, the substrate tended to scatter, so I've placed some rock there, and that takes the 'brunt' of the waterfall.

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 10:07:47 PM »
As far as I know this tank comes with the marina i110: "Complete 3-stage filtration (mechanical, chemical, biological) is provided thanks to its uniquely designed Power Cartridge (included)."

If it comes and it is something different I can just buy a different filter.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 09:07:46 AM »
My 50 litre tank is an Eheim of the same dimensions. With my tank, the volume of water is less than the stated volume of 54 litres as that is the volume of the entire tank ignoring the fact you can't fill it right to the brim and have to leave a couple of cm gap above the water line. If you get that tank, check the volume when you set it up - it is easy enough to measure the inside (stopping the height measurement 2 cm short of the rim) and calculate the volume. Then deduct a bit more for the space taken up by the heater, filter, sand/gravel and ornaments.

If you don't mind spending a bit more  to change the filter, that's what I would do.

Tags: tank new small 10L marina 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish that can fit in a 10L tank?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 08:26:03 PM
by daveyng
2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2022, 08:31:58 PM
by TheFletch05
12 Replies
Last post March 20, 2024, 08:12:40 AM
by tornmean9

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: