Fish & Peas

Author Topic: Fish & Peas  (Read 6200 times) 15 replies

Offline skybluejay

• Fishy Member
Fish & Peas
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:54:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have been reading on various websites that you can feed your fish peas!!!
Can someplease elaborate on this. Are they frozen, cooked etc and the positives and negatives.
Look forward to replies
Jay :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish & Peas
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:13:53 PM »
I understand mushy ones go well with a nice bit of cod ;D ;D ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
Ok Resa I laughed!!

In all seriousness though i would like to know the answer to this. My fishies have a pea free diet currently as I didnt know what to do!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

TigzFish

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:11:57 PM »
I use frozen garden peas.  Cook them as usual. For my 6 Cherry Barbs I pull out no more than 2 peas, allow to cool and then take off the outer skin.  The middle of the peas then get chopped into very small pieces (they have small mouths but do like to nibble). Some people squish the middle bit, but I haven't done that yet. I leave the bits in for a few hours but take out what they don't eat.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 07:36:13 AM »
Two frozen peas in a small dish, just covered with water and 55 seconds in the micowave, then skinned and chopped'n'squashed.

It's their Sunday afternoon treat and causes a feeding frenzy. It's great entertainment.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
I have clown loaches and congo tetra and they all love these just cook in the microwave let them cool and feed away. My bristlenose love them as well if they are quick enough. Take the casing off the seed otherwise you have this floating around the tank causing problems. Have also feed them cucumber, courgettes and potato. Just to watch the congo tetra eating these is great. They will chase larger pieces around like footballs. That reminds me need to buy 4 more congos can have a home and away side then

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:41:49 AM »
I do the same. You can cook just what you need in the microwave or save some from your meal. Just make sure you don't cook them for yourself with lots of salt. Mind you, you shouldn't be using lots of salt in your own food anyway  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »
I think my chopping / squashing skills aren't quite up to scratch, as the pieces in the end are a little big. However some of the more adventurous fish are nomming away despite this!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:20:02 PM »
I mash the peas with the back of a teaspoon. But them I end up with so many fine bits I have to turn the filter off till they've settled on the bottom. It works though, the fish eat it all. Just so long as you don't forget to turn the filter back on (done that......)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »
I was attempting to mash them like that but failed... maybe next time!! However they did all have a good go at eating them ha, just trying to recover the bits now ^^;

Offline skybluejay

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »
I decided to give the fish some peas yesterday. I peeled the shell off 2 peas and mashed the inner and fed to the fish. WOW they loved them. I have never seen such a feeding frenzy. Will limit the peas to a treat for them every couple of weeks. With this and the bloodworm the fish really enjoy. Many thanks for all the advise etc.

Jay

Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 02:16:30 PM »
Stupid question no. 479:

Can you give your fishies a mushy pea?  Or must it be only garden peas?

Thanks

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 02:36:27 PM »
Hi Resa

If the mushy peas are from a tin then they've probably got 'stuff' in like preservatives, salt etc.... so no. However; if you make your own on site and you know that only pea goes in your mush, then I don't see why not.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »
Hi Colin,

Yes, I do my own mushy peas, from dried.  I can't stand them myself (it's a north/south thing) but I have to cook huge great cauldrons of the damn things....and they stink the place out!
My husband thinks he's funny, telling people that I 'pea in the kitchen'......oh, how I laugh ::)

I might give them a go though....cheers

Resa
  :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 05:07:38 PM »
 ;D ;D

Us blokes.... we're so funny.

I suppose if you're not too good at punctuation you get...

Us blokes.... were so funny.

Probably closer to the mark!

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
yep! :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish & Peas"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
by Chucklett
10 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
by Chucklett
5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 07:07:52 PM
by brecon
What fish to get?

Started by jesnon « 1 2 ... 5 6 » New Fishkeepers

101 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 05:27:31 PM
by jesnon
17 Replies
Last post April 06, 2013, 12:21:40 PM
by suep
0 Replies
Last post October 30, 2018, 07:44:51 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: