Fish Never Seem To Live That Long

Author Topic: Fish never seem to live that long  (Read 5579 times) 11 replies

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Fish never seem to live that long
« on: January 22, 2016, 09:35:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm enjoying my small tank, had it a good few months now but I'm not having much luck keeping any one fish for very long.
It's a 30l biorb tank and after recycling it (with help from Think Fish folk) I regularly check all the levels and it's all been good.

I have only got platies in it, 5  at the moment. I buy them locally. They always seem perky, and they seem happy in my tank.
But after about 5 weeks or so - it varies, they seem to just keel over. Not with any noticeable disease that is apparent to me, they just die. Sometimes I can scoop out the body and look at it but nothing shouts at me that there's anything amiss. Other times they die but the body is gone before I can retrieve it.

So what am I doing that they don't live long? They seem so happy up until they die. Perhaps fish don't live long and my expectation is too high?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish never seem to live that long
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 09:54:14 AM »
A comment and a question.

The comment first - 5 platies in a 30 litre tank of any shape is quite a high stocking level. The community creator gives that as 83% stocked. But that is for a standard rectangular tank - biorbs are spherical and with that small surface area should be more lightly stocked. Spherical tanks are not very long in any direction. Seriously Fish recommends a tank at least 60cm long for platies.

Question next - what are your water parameters, ammonia and nitrite but also hardness?
If there is any trace of either ammonia or nitrite, that is harmful to fish - and even if they are zero now, if they've ever been above zero they could be taking their toll on the fish now. And looking back through your posts, you have had high levels in the past. Ammonia and nitrite cause long lasting damage.
Platies are hard water fish. If yours is soft it will be having a detrimental effect on the fish. I can't find mention of that previously so can I suggest you look at your water company's website. The hardness should be on there somewhere. You need to make a note of the units as well, there are about half a dozen they could use. And if they give the hardness as ppm or mg/l we also need to know ppm of what as there are 3 possibilities there as well. Just copy everything they give.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »
To add to Sue's comments :
Platies are highly inbred fish (to get the unnatural colour varieties) they do not seem so be very robust these days and many people have problems with them.
You would be better off with much smaller fish such as some tetras. Looked after properly, these fish should live for at least 5 years, some much longer.

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
Yes, you are correct, early on (I think the tank was still not cycled) it I had those issues (ammonia/nitrite) - but since it has cycled and with new fish introduced I've still had these issues.

I didn't realise about the inbreeding issue..that is a shame, perhaps that adds to my problem.
I'm going to try and upload the water hardness from my water supplier..(not done this before).
If I did go instead for tetras..
What type could I go for and how many for my tank?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »
With those numbers, your water is plenty hard enough for livebearers, including platies, so that's not the cause. And with water that hard your choice of tetras is quite restricted - most of them like soft water.

Look at endlers livebearers, males only. Males are small, brightly coloured and won't fill the tank with unwanted fry. You could fit 6 to 8 in the biorb.
Or celestial pearl danios aka galaxy rasboras, again about 8.
Maybe a shoal of the rainbowfish/blue eyes in the genus Pseudomugil

Just one of those, not all of them.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
I agree with Sue about CPDs (Celestial Pearl Danios), though they can be quite expensive. don't know much about Endlers.
My water is slightly harder (German Hardness = 12.33) than yours and I keep quite a few species of tetra OK. But considering again the size of the biorb. it's that which would be the main issue rather than hardness. You'd need very small tetras such as Ember, and I guess it might be too hard for them.
If you get CPDs, I find they really like plenty of cover, live plants ideally, and are not happy in an open brightly lit environment.
Whatever fish you get, good water quality is the most important thing, the smaller the tank the harder that is to maintain. Live plants are very helpful, but you have to keep them alive as well!

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 08:22:10 PM »
For live plants in a biorb, you need to look at those that can be attached to decor. Planting them in those rocks that are the substrate (and the biological filter medium) won't do plants much good. Look at java fern and the various species of anubias which can be tied to any decor, and will eventually attach themselves; or for a plant for fish like CPDs to hide in, try hornwort wound round a piece of wood.
It sounds backwards but many timid fish come out more if there are lots of hiding places. They know there is somewhere to run to if a predator should appear so they don't need to huddle in a corner. (If a biorb had corners  ;D )

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 09:24:28 AM »
So, if I went instead for Endlers..or one group of the others you suggested- how would I go about it?
Would I just wait until all my current fish eventually die off (which could take a while) or is there a different way? In a way, I'm thinking I don't want an empty tank and have to redo the recycling, I'd rather have fish throughout if that's possible. I've really loved my platies. I have got baby platies right now, (4 offspring + 1 adult) in the tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 09:41:33 AM »
If you went for endlers, the task would be easier. They are not shoaling fish though they do like company of their own kind. So every time a platy died, you could replace it with 2 endlers. This would mean you wouldn't be stressing the bacteria colonies with too many extra fish in one go as you would be if you let the platies die off one by one before replacing them. Endlers are also not as shy as celestial pearl danios so you would see more of them. Just make sure you get all males so you don't risk overpopulating the tank. Females are easy to spot as they are plain grey beige while males are very colourful. They do come in several colour patterns so buying 2 at a time would give you chance to look around and get multiple patterns if you decided to do that rather than get all the same pattern.

Male endlers do chase each other. But they don't pick on each other. The group will swim round 'chasing' one fish, then they'll change direction and 'chase' another. I've had endlers on and off for years and have never seen a male endler harm another one - or any other fish. They will try to mate with each other, and the remaining platies. That's just livebearers.

The only downside to endlers is that they do not have a terribly long lifespan - 2 years is a good age. But all you do is replace them as they die of old age.

Since you have platy fry, are they old enough to tell the sexes yet? Keeping males and females in a small tank is never a good idea or the tank will be overpopulated very quickly. If the fry are still young, they'll all look female. It takes a couple of months for the males to hit puberty and start to change.

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »
The platypus fry are about a month old I think, so no, I can't tell their gender yet. I had previously had all females and was keeping it that way..

The Endlers sound the easiest way to go initially- if they are tolerant fish in various aspects that is good.

What I really want to do I think, is change my tank for a conventional shape and bit larger so as to be more versatile- not sure I can convince my hubby what a great idea this would be ...

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
I know that feeling. My husband isn't a fish fan, except when the fish is on his plate  :-\

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:55 PM »
You cant go wrong with endlers, they're pretty and fun to watch.

I've got hard water and I've never had much luck with Pseudomugil. The males are beautiful when they display but I've found them to be greedy feeders and very prone to dropsy because of it.They might fare better in a species only tank though.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish never seem to live that long"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
34 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 08:03:50 PM
by dbaggie
3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 06:21:58 PM
by bferg4
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 12:37:58 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 01:08:04 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 08:17:56 PM
by jaypeecee
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 04:17:00 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 09:17:55 AM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: