Fish For My Large Dream Tank

Author Topic: Fish for my large dream tank  (Read 4717 times) 12 replies

Offline Andrea

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Fish for my large dream tank
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:52:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So my partner has just bought me a Aqua One 1800RT tank and now I have the horrible job of figuring out what I'm going to put in it :p The dimensions are 180 x 60 x 66 cm (LxDxH) and 630 litres.

I was thinking about having a trio (1 male, two female) pearl gouramis, a pair of angelfish, five electric blue rams, two pairs of kribensis, three keyhole cichlids, three pictus catfish and two smaller varieties of pleco. I'll have lots of plants, driftwood and caves so the fish can establish their own territories.

I know that this is a lot of cichlids to have in one tank, but I figured that as long as they have a lot of room they'll be okay? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish for my large dream tank
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:14:26 AM »
I've not kept any of those, so I can't answer your specific question. However; as you seem to like cichlids I will raise another point you might not have thought of.... The Mbuna Community Tank. One of these can rival a marine tank for colour and interest, but would take a fair bit of research to get it set up. Grab a large pot of coffee and put Mbuna Community Tank (or similar) into google and you'll have many happy hours reading.

I had never thought of one (although I'd heard of them) until I saw one at Bicester 'World of Water' - it was stunningly beautiful. This (clickety-click) is a very good article, but alas, no pictures.

Hope this helps.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:53:30 AM »
I would also add about cichlids that it is not usually a good idea to mix species from different continents - kribs are African while angelfish, rams and keyholes are American. The continents have been separated for eons and the fish have evolved separately to the extent that they don't understand each other's signals and body language. This can lead to aggression.

And rams can be iffy in the water temp needed by the other fish. They do better at 29 to 30 deg C. If they have been tank bred for several generations they should be OK, but the danger is that the breeder has used a wild caught fish recently to add new blood to his stock. Wild caught fish don't cope with lower temps at all well, and that includes tank bred fish with a recent wild ancestor.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
You could try the Bolivian Ram instead. Much less fussy.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
Regarding Sue's point about African and South American cichlids, there is another reason not to mix them; S. American cichlids have a preference for soft-water, African cichlids have a preference for hard water. This is another of those guideline thingies, so it won't always be true, but it's something to consider.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
You are quite right, Rift Lake cichlids do like hard water and wouldn't mix with south American, soft acid water cichlids. Or much else besides more fish from the same lake.

But there are some soft water cichlids in Africa (eg kribs) and some central American cichlids prefer hard alkaline water, though nothing like the Rift Lakes.

So perhaps I should say: it is not a good idea to mix cichlids from different continents even if they have the same water preferences.

Offline Andrea

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »
Okay, that does make sense. I've done some research into the Mbuna community tank idea and I really, really like it. The only problem is that I really like the look of lots of live plants and wood. I was under the impression that these cichlids were really rough on plants. Would it still be possible to have live plants with them if I chose my plants carefully?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »
Quote from: Andrea link=topic=989.msg9545#msg9545 date=1401999. The link I posted439
Okay, that does make sense. I've done some research into the Mbuna community tank idea and I really, really like it. The only problem is that I really like the look of lots of live plants and wood. I was under the impression that these cichlids were really rough on plants. Would it still be possible to have live plants with them if I chose my plants carefully?

Indeed it is. You can attach Java Fern and Aubias to Redmoor Vine wood (I use elastic bands until the roots have grown into the wood, then cut the bands off), and Vallisneria will grow really well in a gravel substrate - the link I posted earlier has info on growing Vallis in a Mbuna tank. You'd want to get all the plants growing well first with good root systems before adding the fish - but that's all in the enjoyment of planning such a fantastic project.

Don't use bog-wood in a Mbuna tank. You want hard, alkaline and clear water, and bogwood stains the water. It is known to also soften water and reduce the pH, but you'd need a serious ammount of wood to have any noticable effect on the water of a Mbuna tank.

Offline Andrea

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 08:49:34 AM »
Cool :) If the water from the tap isn't hard enough for the fish I'll be keeping, how do I make it harder?

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »
If your water out of the tap isn't suitable, you have to add "stuff" to your tank to make it more like the Rift Valley. The process is similar to that which you would follow to keep marine fish and you had to reconstitute sea-water. The exact nature of "stuff" would depend upon the particular product or product range you chose to use. This in turn will vary, at least to some part, on the water parameters of your tap-water. If you have a search for something along the lines of "Mbuba cichlid trace" you should be able to find some articles and products to help you along your way.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »
Cool :) If the water from the tap isn't hard enough for the fish I'll be keeping, how do I make it harder?

Okee-dokee. Half-way down this page you'll find a heading: 'A Simple But Effective Rift Valley Cichlid Salt Mix' if you fancy making your own.

There is a great article here at Malawi Mayhem.

Or you could buy a ready made product such as this, available from here in the UK. This buffer needs to be mixed with Cichlid Lake Salt.... also available from a stockist near you. :))

There is a difference between Lake Malawi water and Lake Tanganyika water..... but I'm not sure what. It'll be somewhere.... Google is your friend (sometimes  :)))

Offline Andrea

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 06:04:29 AM »
Oh awesome, I can certainly add products lol I've only ever had to make the water softer before, not harder. Thank you so much for all your help!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
My pleasure - I've learnt quite a lot, too.

Obviously there's some payback ( ;) )..... and that's progress reports and pictures, please.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish for my large dream tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post November 25, 2012, 04:27:24 PM
by Don
4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 02:52:35 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 07:49:55 AM
by Puffin
10 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 07:37:07 AM
by Mascol
6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 05:44:28 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: