First Tank Decisions

Author Topic: First tank decisions  (Read 4319 times) 18 replies

Offline Zombrak

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
First tank decisions
« on: April 20, 2015, 04:27:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
HI there and thank you for letting me join the forum. I am a complete newbie when it comes to fish but i have always wanted a tank.

I recently purchased a 98 llitre tank with my wife and have started the fishless cycle. My main questions are that i am trying to decide what fish to put in the tank. I really want guppies and have been reading about what i need to have them. My wife wants some neon tetras and she knows she will have wait a few months after the tank has started to add fish before adding them. But what other fish could go with them and what would be a good number of each fish.

Any help would be gratefully accepted

Adam

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: First tank decisions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
The problem that you have is that guppies and neon tetras are not very compatible. Guppies like hard alkaline water and neons like soft acid water.
Before we make any suggestions for you, can you tell us your pH and hardness? If you have a test kit, that should include pH, and hardness should be somewhere on your water company's website - make a note of the units they use as there are several possible ones!

Offline Zombrak

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 05:40:03 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I can let you know the water according to our supplier is soft , also I can reply in morning with our ph as I have a kit but currently at Wirk. I didn't know that they were not compatible :(. But this is why I have joforum the forum and I'm doing fishless cycling. So I can read up and speak to actual owners, not just fish store employees

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »
Fish shop employees are not the ones to ask advice from, unfortunately. But between the members on here we do have a lot of experience  :) We should be able to come up with suggestions for you.

Offline Zombrak

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:51:25 PM »
Awesome thank you :). When I get home I'll post the ph level and add a screenshot of the water type information from our supplier. There might be more information on there. Also would you need dimensions of the tank?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:02:33 PM »
You've given the volume of the tank, the other measurement that would be helpful is the length. Some tanks are tall, some are long, with the same volume. Tall, short tanks are not as suitable for fast swimming fish as long, shallow tanks, for example.

And the water quality report should show things like your nitrate level as well as hardness - there are some fish that don't do well with high nitrate which is why that figure is good to know.

Offline Zombrak

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 10:34:13 PM »
Ok I'll add a screenshot too when I get home. Thank you for the help :). I'm looking forward to getting fish but I know it will be a while till it cycles. Im not taking the shortcut of adding the bacteria from bottle that you can buy as been told it is not very good for the fish

Offline Zombrak

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 07:21:24 AM »
Morning, I just did the ph test and it shows we have a ph of 7.6, Also i have added a screenshot of our water quality report. I am pretty sure we are in the moderately soft area but i cant guarntee as i am no good with maps. I live near exeter in devon.

Also it does not show on report anything about nitrates in the water, So  did a nitrate test on some water from the tap ( not sure if it helps) that showed no nitrates either.

The tank length is 70cm

Hope this helps and i appreciate all help

Adam

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 10:43:14 AM »
Hmmm, not easy. Exeter stands on the river Exe. Exeter city is right on the boundary between moderately soft and moderately hard. You said you live near Exeter - without stating the exact place, are you on the Cornwall side of Exeter and the river (ie moderately soft) or the Bournemouth side (ie moderately hard)?

If you are on the 'soft' side, your water is very similar to mine in north east England. Because hardness is more important to fish than pH, I can keep soft water fish that are supposed to need low pH better than hard water fish that like my pH. Basically, with this water you just need to aviod those fish which must have hard water; things like Rift Lake cichlids and mollies. I can keep endlers quite easily so guppies shouldn't be much of a problem.
If you are on the 'hard' side, again you can keep most fish, just avoid those that must have soft water such as some Amazonian fish. I find that checking the requirements with http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ will tell you if you really need to avoid any particular species that might catch your eye.

Whichever water you have, you can get both guppies and neons  ;D

And with 70cm length, just avoid fish that grow over ~4cm.

As for nitrate, can I just check that you followed the instructions to the letter if it is a liquid reagent tester. One bottle will say to shake it very well well before use. One of the reagents in the bottle settles out on the bottom and all that shaking really is necessary to get it back into the liquid. Failure to shake gives false readings.
But if you did shake it well, you are lucky with no nitrate!

Offline Zombrak

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
Hi Sue

With the test i followed it to the letter as i wanted make sure it was done correct. Allowing right time and adding the exact amount of drops.

So with the ph and water type we can have both guppies and tetras. I thought you said they were not very compatible. Im going to look at fish that go well with the ph now i know it and the water type. As for location we live in small town called crediton

adam

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 03:49:10 PM »
Since your water is roughly 'middling' both guppies and neons should be fine. It's just that so many people seem to have very hard water (eg south east England) or very soft water (eg parts of Scotland) that keeping both can be tricky.

It's not obvious which side of the divide Crediton is. I think in your case I would take a sample of your tapwater to a fish shop and ask them to test GH and maybe KH as well. They could give you the answer in ppm or German degrees so make sure they give you the unit. And if they use words like soft or hard, ask them for the number.

You can also use the visit to see which fish are stocked in your area. I know from personal experience that it can be frustrating to find a fish which ticks every box only to find no-one sells it. And remember that the fish in the shop tanks are babies!

Offline Zombrak

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 12:42:38 AM »
Hi sorry took so long to reply, been a busy week. We will be visiting the pet store this weekend with sample of our water for them to test and to also look at the fish that's available in there :). have also ordered a new filter as the free one decided to pack up :( but also our water was not having a good smell. decided to go with fluval u3 filter as it seemed to have good reviews

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »
Don't let them convince you to get fish! Shops don't believe in fishless cycling and will try to persuade you that you don't need to do one.

Offline Zombrak

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 01:14:06 PM »
The person  i spoke too didnt try to convince me at all. He said to wait a few weeks and to bring a sample in he will do a fresh test then and see how far along we go. He told me himseld that he prefers fishless cycle as it was more humane. Also told me a bit more about the filter i had purchased

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
You need to test yourself not just add ammonia and then take a sample to the shop. Saying what he did makes me wonder if he really does understand fishless cycling. With fishless cycling, you have to be able to measure ammonia and nitrite so that you know when to add the next dose of ammonia, and when the cycle has finished.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »
Hi Zombrak,
Welcome to the community! Nice part of the world Crediton. I was living in Topsham last year and had some lovely walks around Crediton. I didn't keep fish at the time, but from SWW website you have moderately soft water. One of the best aquatics shop in the SW is Emperor Tropicals in Plymouth. Could be nice day trip if you fancy it, along with a stroll along the Barbican!

Fishless cycling is the most humane way of preparing aquariums. It can be a little tricky and even when I appeared to have completed my cycling I still threw in some Pure Aquarium balls from Evolution Aqua just in case! I've never had a problem with Ammonia or Nitrite so I must have done something right!

Guppies and Neons are both gorgeous fish and readily available. You might want to check out Cardinal Tetra too, they are similar to Neons but the red and blue lines extend the whole length of their bodies. Be careful when buying Guppies as livebearers breed readily in the home aquarium and a friend of mine bought 4 'males' and quickly ended up with over 30 fish in their relatively small tank as one of the 'males' kept giving birth!

After keeping fish for a little while, I've realized that's there's lots of things I wish I'd done to my tank before adding fish. Next time I set up my tank I will think a lot more about aquascaping. There's so many plant choices out there, and while I like my bogwood, I wish I'd added some large pieces of rock to the tank to give it a bit more character. These decisions can be made while cycling your tank. Check out this months Practical Fishkeeping Magazine. It has a pull out section on plants and aquascapes (plus some free fish food!).

Another thing to consider for the future is what bottom dwellers or clean up crew you would like. Corydoras are popular choices for bottom dwellers, whilst shrimp do a great job cleaning algae from plants. You could also get a small pleco such as a clown pleco or a bristlenose pleco, but I would wait at least 3 months before adding your algae crew so that tank has established and there's plenty for them to eat!

All the best!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Zombrak

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
we will be testing ourselves to make sure but the guy in the shop seemed to prefer testing it before selling fish. Only shop I know that wanted to do that. Others in the area just seemed Keen on selling them.

I'll be testing every other day with the api test kit, I bought the whole Big set which cost me 30.00 And will be getting the fish from Richards aquatics. Also I know of the shop I Plymouth as I originally lived there.

We were looking at Cory Dora catfish as an option in few months after we get our fish. But all depends on our ph when we're ready to buy.

in the shop told me to put tetras in first as they are good hardy fish (except neon tetras), and others in small groups. Is this something you reccomend

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 09:52:55 AM »
Hi Zombrak,
Your pH is unlikely to change much unless you actively seek to change it. Adding bogwood may lower it a little, but probably not enough to make you change your fish choices.

There are so many varieties of tetra that its not possible to say whether they will be good pioneers for the tank! Neons have been weakened by overbreeding and cardinals aren't the most robust from what I've heard. Rummynose Tetra are renowned for not being great in new tanks. I went with X-ray tetra as they are comfortable in a variety of water types due to their natural habitat, which swings from being relatively soft and acidic during the dry season and then harder and alkaline when the floods come. That being said, I've only lost two fish so far and they were both X-ray tetras!

Guppies used to be one of the go to fish for starting an aquarium, but they are now considered weakened too. I went with Platies first as I have hard alkaline water. They are doing pretty well, but they are very boisterous.

If you cycle the tank properly there are plenty of tetra that should be fine as starter fish, but if I were you I'd hold off on the Neons until things have settled down a bit. I think it can only be a good thing that the store wants to check your water before selling you fish. If you are cycling yourself it will be another check that the water is safe.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
The shop's advice on adding tetras first and your thoughts on corydora catfish a few months later sounds a good plan - that's exactly what I did. Six months ago, I got 6 x-ray tetras, then added in 6 pygmy cories a little over 2 months later - all 12 are still doing well.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "First tank decisions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
45 Replies
Last post December 04, 2017, 08:53:51 PM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: