Swithing To A Walstad Method

Author Topic: Swithing to a Walstad method  (Read 6850 times) 21 replies

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Swithing to a Walstad method
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thank you Richard. I like your balanced view on the subject, I guess a little big of algae doesn't mean that there is a problem. As you say I need to give the plants a chance to start growing properly.

All walls of aquarium are clear glass with a white wall behind them, so it looks like there is quite a bit of ambient light entering the tank. I've got a light meter, from the days when I was more seriously into photography and I'll see if I can measure the light coming from inside and outside the tank and if get any sensible results.

For now I haven't altered anything. The Shrimp seem to enjoy walking on glass and eating the algae and I can't see any algae on plants and decor so far. I haven't got the phosphates test, do you think it's worth getting it?

The Amazon frogbit is multiplying nicely and the grassy plants are sending out runners. The only plant that is not doing greatly is Limnophila Sessiliflora. After a week of growing OK, some of the the shoots floated up and seem to have rather weak stalks. When I try to replant them they break off and float back up. About a half of the cuttings I planted originally looks like it's growing OK still. I wonder if I should try a different plant in its place. (I'll obviously leave all the ones that are doing well.)

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
Re: Swithing to a Walstad method
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 05:24:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
i would use j Arthur bowers as your soil under layer
i have had good results with this on planted tanks
its an aquatic compost   

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Swithing to a Walstad method"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 05:33:51 PM
by ColinB
19 Replies
Last post March 24, 2014, 02:17:55 PM
by ColinB

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: