Faulty Heater ? Any Suggestions

Author Topic: Faulty heater ? any suggestions  (Read 7257 times) 17 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Faulty heater ? any suggestions
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have newish Eheim thermo control heater, ive had it in tank for 45 day set at 30 degrees, and that is what thermometer read, i turned it down to 25 pre fish in, but it seems to be showing more like 27, (don't want boiled fish) ive turned it down to 24 now but dont want lots of temp fluctuations, any suggestions for checking it?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Faulty heater ? any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
How are you measuring the temperature, what type of thermometer? The stick on ones that go on the outside are not very accurate as they are affected by the air temp as well as the tank temp. The cheapest, good-enough type is the tube with liquid inside that sticks with a sucker to the inside of the glass.

Heater thermostats are notorious for not being terribly well set. It is always best to ignore the actual number on the heater and go by the water temp - provided the the thermometer is accurate. Adjust the heater a bit at a time over a few hours to get the temp you want. If you ever need to increase the temp (eg if the fish get whitespot, raised temp is part of the cure) make a note of the setting before turning the heater up.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »
Thanks Sue, yes cheap inside liquid thermometer, i keep turning the heater down, its on 24 at the mo but its sticking at 27, it was fine on 30 degrees. i will turn it way down and see what happens.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 11:56:57 AM »
Take it slowly with fish in the tank. The temp should only be turned up or down by 1 deg C in 24 hours.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »
I have not had my heater turned on for months and the water temperature is around 25 and sometimes goes upto 26. The ambient room temperature will have an effect on the tank, especially if you have the radiator on nearby. The aquarium lights will generate heat, as well as any equipment running in the tank, i.e. internal filter. You could try lifting the cover for part of a day if you find the temperature stays high even with no heater running.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
 :yikes: No heater on! i did turn it off briefly, but panicked incase it got too cold, my heater is reading 23, but the thermometer say 26 c is that too warm do you think? will leave it at that for a day or so anyway.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »
I would turn it down a bit. Platies like it cooler than 26. Their preferred range is 20 to 26.

If the room the tank is in is always warm, the heater would hardly be on. The downside to leaving the heater turned off is if the room is likely to get colder than you want the tank. And as Pawel says, there are other things that will warm the water. Heaters have a thermostat so it won't turn on if something else is making the water warm.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »
Mmm room temp is not constant, some times central heating on, overnight none, so your saying leave heater on at 23 it will cut out above that,  and if it keeps reading 26 not a lot i can do about it  ???

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 04:22:47 PM »
I think it's worth investing in a digital thermometer, they don't cost much (EBay) and seem to be more accurate and much easier to read than the other types. I find that to keep my tanks at 23 I need to set the thermostat to 20 - 21. My tanks are in unheated rooms or heated to about 19, though they sometimes get much warmer in mid summer, but I don't consider that a problem, fish are more adaptable than people think, provided the temperature changes aren't sudden.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 05:06:11 PM »
Thanks Richard, will leave it as it is overnight, and turn it down tomorrow when i can monitor it. Mmm alwasy something to fret about, inherited an unwanted small guppy, cos he was being picked on, now the little bugger is nipping at my platies, back to LFS tomorrow i think : (

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
Help! :yikes:  ive moved dial round that much my calibration is way off, ive had to put two heaters in cos i don't know how low or high each is going now, so im going to be up all night jugling the temperature, oh dear i think this could be a big problem, dial is set at 24 but heater comes on when thermometer reads 25.2 and it's rising, not sure how far it will go, so i can't go to bed : (

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »
Good grief woman!

You only need one heater in there so take the other out. Set the one you're leaving in to 26 and then leave it and go to bed. You're fish will be fine.

edited to add: all your kit is new, you'd have to be very unlucky to have 2 heaters that dont work. The thermostat should kick in when temp drops below the level you've set it at.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 12:27:30 AM »
Haha i turned the dial and got wrong reading so turned it more and the temp just started plumeting, so i stuck second heater in to bring it back up and ended up turning one on and one off like traffic lights lol. It was a bit high so ive turned dial to 22 and ive left it at 25.5 and dropping (guess who will be up early) Thanks Fiona and good night : )

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 10:01:59 AM »
Some people advocate a two heaters approach. The theory is that by having two lower powered heaters you are protected to a certain degree from one becoming faulty, i.e. if one stops working, the second would try to compensate and at least stop the temperate from dropping significantly, whilst if one suddenly goes hyper and tries to superheat the tank, it shouldn't have enough power on it's own to cook the fish. I'm not sure how well this works in practice though and it probably would be best sticking with one for the time being anyway until you get the temp stabilised.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »
Thanks, i only have two in tank because i have to dissconect the pump to get main heater out, and when the temperature started plummeting after i'd fiddled about with it, i panicked, turned if off and put spare one in to raise temp, this then was too hot (i feel like goldilocks) so i only have one on at a time. Overnight heater is giving good water temp of 25.7c but the dial says 22 so i'm leaving that for now, but i'm trying to set the main one now without boiling fish.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »
The simplest way to set a heater is to start slightly too low (fish won't mind for a day or two) and turn it up a tiny bit at a  time, waiting a at least a couple of hours between, until the thermometer reads what you want. Then ignore the actual number on the heater dial.

You can always remove the heater from the filter, buy a heater bracket and put the heater somewhere else.

It's not just tank heaters that have badly calibrated thermostats. A few years ago, I had to have the thermocouple in my oven replaced. The repair man said I'd have to learn to cook with it all over again as the temp it gave would be different from the old one at the same setting on the knob.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »
Oh dear, so more like overcooked fish pie, than fish then  :)) Off topic here, but saves starting another, i got the two platy's and two tiny endler guppy things on Wednesday, have fed them twice, when should i think about doing a water change and would 25% be enough?

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »
As long as your ammonia and nitrite stay at zero, once a week is fine for water changes. And since you only have a few fish, 10% would be more than enough for now. But increase the amount a bit every time you get more fish. Once the tank is fully stocked, 25 to 30% a week is about right.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Faulty heater ? any suggestions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 10:46:10 PM
by jesnon
16 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 04:16:25 PM
by dbaggie
2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2014, 09:35:24 PM
by dbaggie
0 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 03:15:06 PM
by evan47
8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 04:58:20 PM
by WinterDusk
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 08:44:28 AM
by Richard W
0 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 04:05:17 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: