False Positive On API Ammonia Test?

Author Topic: false positive on API ammonia test?  (Read 15243 times) 29 replies

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
false positive on API ammonia test?
« on: June 14, 2014, 08:39:02 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
when performing my regular ammonia test i decided to test both treated and untreated water as well as 12 hour old tank water.
i found that both treated and untreated water showed a green tinge, apparently  almost matching the .25 on the chart (or rather close to it).
it seems that API ammonia tests err on the side of caution as people on other forums are saying the same.
is there a way of testing more accurately?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: false positive on API ammonia test?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:20:05 AM »
What light are you reading it under?
Fluorescent tubes, including energy saving bulbs, are well known for causing a false positive. Daylight, old fashioned incandescent bulbs and halogen bulbs are better. But a lot of people still report this greenish tinge even in daylight. However, a trace of ammonia is unlikely to cause problems even for the most sensitive fish.

Ammonia exists in 2 forms in water. The bulk of it is in the ammonium form (NH4+) but some is in the ammonia form (NH3). The ammonium form is much less toxic than the ammonia form. But test kits measure both of them, and we don't know from the test kit just how much is in the more toxic form. The amount of each varies with both the temperature and pH.
At 25oC and pH 7.5, even an ammonia+ammonium reading of 1.0 contains a safe amount of the toxic form.

The highest safe level of the toxic form is 0.02ppm. Here is an ammonia calculator. Just enter your test reading, temp and pH to calculate. If the result is lower than 0.02 there is no need to worry.

And yes, there are better test kits than API, but more expensive. The make that is usually quoted is Salifert.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »
Hi Evan, I have this problem with my API ammonia test too. I've never seen the completely yellow colour even when I know my tank is perfectly fine.  I've just accepted that the slightly green tinged yellow is 0 and buffing to worry about!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 12:35:49 PM »
hi, i have seen that a number of people are saying the same thing.
its possibly down to variations in the printing process of the test card  and different peoples color perception.
lighting can affect it too.
as long as all the other tests look ok there shouldnt be much of a problem.
after another month into the cycle i think i will look for a more accurate ammonia only test.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »
I was wondering about the same thing. My Ammonia test is always somewhere between yellow and green, so I concluded that it must be either zero or close to it. Similarly I find it hard to test Nitrate accurately, both orange cards and both red cards look the same to me. There is a difference between having 40 or 80ppm, so a more accurate test would be good. Looking at prices of Salifert from online retailers they work out not a lot more expensive then the API set, so I may look into that. Perhaps get a Nitrate kit, as it looks like I have a high Nitrate content in my tap water, so I can monitor this. I wonder if anyone uses it and how does it compare to API Nitrate test.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 02:16:29 PM »
I agree with the nitrate colours I find it nearly impossible to know what my nitrate is and I too have high nitrates normally.  I can't comment on the other tests though I'm afraid

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 05:01:14 PM »
The main reason that Salifert are more expensive is that they do less tests per pack than other makes. They do cost around the same to buy but don't last as long.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 07:03:20 PM »
Yeah the API nitrate colours are a pain around the 40-80ppm range (which is where mine tends to read). I do find I get a good strong yellow with the ammonia test though.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »
I seem to be quite lucky with my tapwater. It rarely reads above 5ppm nitrate so my tank level never goes above 20; it's usually around 10ppm. According to my water company, for my postcode in 2012 nitrate was between a minimum of 2.1ppm and a maximum of 2.7.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 11:35:22 PM »
That's a good water, Sue. My water company quotes Nitrates between 24.5 and 40.9. I use Seachem Prime to remove Chlorine and it is meant to detoxify Nitrates, but I wonder how does it work in practice. API recommends Nitra-zorb to remove Nitrates so may look into this also.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »
According to API's website, nitra-zorb also absorbs ammonia and nitrite. The thing that concerns me about this is the effect it will have on the filter bacteria as it will absorb their food. The danger with that is that you won't grow enough bacteria and if you leave it too long before recharging it will stop absorbing ammonia and nitrite and because there won't be enough bacteria the levels in the water will rise.
If you do decide to use it, place it last in the water flow so the bacteria have access to their food before the nitra-zorb can remove it. In the case of a Juwel filter, this means putting it right at the bottom below all the other media..

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out Sue. I feel a bit uneasy about using it as I don't want to mess about with the ammonia/nitrite/bacteria balance. Ideally I would just like to remove nitrate. I had a look around and a few people mention Pozzani Aquarium Nitrate Removal Filter, which works by removing Nitrate from tap water before you add it to the tank. People who use it report that it can get 40ppm down to zero. It's a bit pricey though, at about £40 including shipping and requires cartridge changes at £16, but some say the cartridge lasts several months.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »
do you have plants in your tank . My tank is not as heavily planted as some peoples tank but i do have quite a few plants (quick growing ones ) and there doing a lovely job of removing nitrate from my tank , i have found that  on average my tap water is any were between about 10 ppm and 40 ppm and i have found with a 25 liter water change on a tuesday night and 50 liters on a friday night ( about 25 percent in total of my tank volume ) i get readings of 5 ppm nitrate when i test the odd 10ppm but never much higher

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 11:42:14 PM »
Thanks for the tip Chris! So that would mean you are adding nitrates by doing water changes more often than not and plants are using it up! That's really good, what are the fast growing ones you have? I don't have many plants comparing to the 180l volume of water. I had the tank less than two weeks, so plants will grow in time.

Just did a nitrate test of tank water (on the left) and tap water (on the right) and they look the identical, somewhere between 40 and 80ppm, I can't tell which. Both around the same mark so I don't think water change will improve anything. So frustrating.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 08:25:14 AM »
If your tap and tank water appear to give the same reading then this would suggest that it's nearer 40ppm as tap water shouldn't exceed 50ppm in the UK.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
That looks the same as mine.  Very frustrating!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
I have moved this thread here from General Guidance as that is to explain the Review Section.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »
Did a bit more research and found Nitratex http://www.jbl.de/en/aquatics-freshwater-products/detail/2427/jbl-nitratex , which I think can be put into the regular filter in the tank. Or you could put it into a spare filter and run your tap water through it and remove nitrates before water change. I think I'm going to get it and let you know how I get on.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 02:08:33 PM »
mmmm - that NitratEX works by ion exchange. Have you considered the BioNitratEX that works by setting up a colony of nitrate munching bugglies. If you put 'bionitrateEX review' you will get a lot of stories - all positive from what I've seen. It's not instant like NitratEX, but it's not chemical. Just a thought!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 03:15:56 PM »
Thanks for looking it up! When you say it works by ion exchange it sounds like a bad thing :-o Do you think that I'll get rid of nitrates only to introduce something else I may not want in my tank? Yes, I've seen bionitratex, but as it takes weeks for bacteria to establish itself I haven't considered it. Maybe I should.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "false positive on API ammonia test?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 01:36:52 PM
by Nat
3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 06:43:04 PM
by Naomi12345
0 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 10:19:26 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:22:08 AM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2017, 11:32:20 PM
by Andy The Minion
7 Replies
Last post November 20, 2017, 06:48:01 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: