False Positive On API Ammonia Test?

Author Topic: false positive on API ammonia test?  (Read 15282 times) 29 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: false positive on API ammonia test?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Nitrate is an anion, that is it has a negative charge. It will exchange with another anion on the resin. Since NitratEx recharges with sodium chloride, the anion on the resin will be chloride. This is quite safe in the tank, it is not the same as chlorine. There will probably be some in the tapwater anyway. However, like everything in a  tank it is not a good idea to let anything build up so just because NitratEx removes nitrate, you'd still have to do water changes.

I have heard of Biohome Ultimate media which is supposed to grow nitrate eating bacteria like bioNitratEx, though it also takes a while for these bacteria to colonise.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
I have heard of Biohome Ultimate media which is supposed to grow nitrate eating bacteria like bioNitratEx, though it also takes a while for these bacteria to colonise.

I use this. I had a Nitrate problem in my very well-stocked tank and high Nitrate tap water and, some months later, the Nitrates in my tank are less than the 50:50 tap water:RO water I use at water change time.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »
I looked up Biohome Ultimate and it looks really promising, and it's inexpensive, thank you for the suggestion. How much of the media would I need for the Bioflow 3 filter (for Juwel Rio 180) and how to put it in? Some sort of basket like one for cirax would be good or a mesh bag perhaps?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 07:58:14 AM »
I looked up Biohome Ultimate and it looks really promising, and it's inexpensive, thank you for the suggestion. How much of the media would I need for the Bioflow 3 filter (for Juwel Rio 180) and how to put it in? Some sort of basket like one for cirax would be good or a mesh bag perhaps?

If you order the Biohome Ultimate you get sent a decent sized bag of it - 500g. I've put mine in a couple of mesh bags, but I don't know the set-up of your filter.

You might want to consider putting some of the BioHome in one of these. An air driven filter. I'd use one in a Betta tank..... and probably set up one or two as additional filtration in a bigger tank - especially one with an internal filter. You can see the size of the bag of media you get in this video.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
Thanks Colin, the filter doesn't have any baskets or trays to put loose media in, here is a pretty good  image of the filter.  I should be able to move things around a bit, probably swap the cirax (which are the white ceramic pellets in a basket) with the biohome. Or push biohome down a bit.

Interesting video, I like the idea of using some decoration for a filter.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »
Plenty of room to stack loads of biohome in there  :)). Change your sponges so the water flows through the coarse sponge first, then the fine, and then the biohome media. You'll have to do some juggling 'cos you'll want to keep as much bacteria as possible, so you might have to change some media over each month or so. Any fancy sponges that are carbon impregnated or whatever can be put in the cupboard. Sorted!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
With the Juwel filter definitely replace the black carbon sponge, and probably the green sponge as well. Then have a white pad on top to catch the big bits, the coarse blue under that, then the biohome , fine blue and cirax in some order under the coarse blue. Cirax is designed as biomedia while the sponges do both biological and mechanical filtration. You can buy media bags, or make your own from a piece of net fabric.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
Thank you Colin and Sue, Biohome media and mesh bags are on their way!  :cheers:

I'll make sure I won't fish out all of the bacteria in one go, I might slice sponges in order to remove them bit by bit. But I wonder if I should put the Biohome last, after the two blue fine sponges as Colin suggested. The guy who sells the media also seems to recommend that:

"Ensure that there is a good level of mechanical filtration before the media to prevent clogging.
The media is used in the final chamber of a filter to provide biological cleaning of the water. The foams / vortex / screens before the media chamber will act as a mechanical filter and remove suspended solids from the water."

Offline ColinB

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »
Yep - do what the man sez! Biohome last.

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »
With a Juwel filter, the white pad and coarse blue sponges are the mechanical media, and the coarse sponges are also biological media. Cirax is purely biological, and the fine blue sponges are biological and get the fine bits that go through the coarse sponge. I notice the Juwel recommend putting cirax before the fine sponges, so maybe between the cirax and fine sponges. I never had cirax, that was introduced after I got my tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "false positive on API ammonia test?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 01:36:52 PM
by Nat
3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 06:43:04 PM
by Naomi12345
0 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 10:19:26 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:22:08 AM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2017, 11:32:20 PM
by Andy The Minion
7 Replies
Last post November 20, 2017, 06:48:01 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: