Author Topic: Ember tetras  (Read 7034 times) 8 replies

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Ember tetras
« on: January 31, 2015, 05:21:38 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi

I added 8 ember tetras to my fishless cycled tank yesterday and they seem to have settled down well.  They started off huddled together in a corner but soon began exploring. 

What is the best food for them?  The guy at the pet store suggested flakes ground up finely so I bought them but is there anything they specially like as a treat?  He mentioned cucumber and peas.

Also, how often must I test the water?

Thanks
PS I was singing the praises of this forum in the pet store.  The guy seemed very impressed!    :D

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Ember tetras
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »
Sunshine
Embers are one of my favourite fishes! Mine like 'New Era' Tropical Flake; like the chap in the shop said, grind it up small.

I use a small plastic container with a bit of flake and then grind it up small with my finger. I dip the container in the tank gently to let a bit of water mix in with the flakes, then swish it about a bit. After a moment or two, I tip it in to the tank.

I also use some Hikari Micro Pellets every now and then.

What is your LFS? Always good to pass this info on to others...

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 09:12:43 AM »
Haven't kept them myself, but I'm sure they'd enjoy some tubifex, bloodworm, daphnia or brine shrimp as a treat.

Shelled peas also go down well on the vegetable front. Haven't had much success with any other veg.

New Life Spectrum foods are great and the pellets for small fish would be small enough for embers. Flake would be a good staple as always.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:26:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice   :)

My LFS is pets @ home. 

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:50:53 PM »
Frozen live would be better than alive live food as 8 ember tetras wouldn't be able to eat a whole bag of alive food before it went off. Frozen cubes are much easier with only a few small fish. But they contain a huge amount of food so sacrifice a knife and shave the side off a cube the first time you feed it, thaw it out in a bit of water before feeding. You'll soon get to know just how much they can eat in one meal.
I would stick with brine shrimp and daphnia and maybe cyclops. Blood worms are a bit big for ember tetras. Mine swim round the tank with one end in their mouths slowly eating it.

I feed peas to my fish every so often. Cook them in water in the microwave or save a couple from your meal; squeeze the insides out of the skin and chop/mash till the pieces are small enough. For embers, I would hold the pea mash just under the surface and wriggle it into the tank so it doesn't fall to the bottom in a blob. Embers prefer to catch the pea bits in the water rather than eat it off the bottom.

But above all, remember that fish don't need as much food as most people think. Feed less than you'd think; you can always add more.

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice.   :)   Yesterday the fish weren't really bothered with food but they were certainly ready this morning.  I crushed a few flakes into a powder and they gobbled it up very quickly.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »
Hi,

Not sure if this will work but I'm copying and pasting a link from another posting on this forum that might help with additional suggestions for food:
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,1669.0.html

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 05:37:45 PM »
Thanks fcmf   :)  I'm getting used to how much these fish eat - def not a lot!  I think I'm holding a pinch but that's even too much.  So it will take quite a while for them to finish the flakes I bought....
:) 

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 10:52:49 PM »
My x-ray tetras didn't eat much for the first few weeks - although I didn't feed them much either (only about 3 flakes morning and 3 flakes evening, crunched up) - but now they're much more avid feeders, with some having very ravenous appetites and others less so.  Different ones seem to like different foods too  eg the larger x-ray tetras eat the flakes, whereas the smaller ones seem to like the small pellets.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ember tetras"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 05:12:51 PM
by notungz
2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2014, 05:16:42 PM
by Puffin
2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2014, 07:43:16 PM
by naughtymoose
6 Replies
Last post February 26, 2015, 05:49:43 PM
by Sanjo
3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2016, 08:42:31 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2017, 10:42:26 AM
by Deleted User
2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:54:25 AM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: