Egg Laying Cory

Author Topic: Egg laying Cory  (Read 4974 times) 7 replies

Offline Gazzariff

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Egg laying Cory
« on: May 30, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi one of my juli corys looks like it is carrying a load of eggs, do I remove the eggs as soon as she lays them or do I wait until the fry are hatched then remove. Thanks in advance from a first time father😀😀

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Egg laying Cory
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »
I believe you roll them up the glass and remove them into a quarantine setup, other than that I would be turning to Google to help, so ill let more experienced need members chime in first  :)

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:37:15 AM »
Congratulations.  ;D
I will mention in advance that I'm not the most experienced keeper, and when my peppered cories laid eggs last year and I let nature take its course. They ate most of the eggs but some fry survived and it was lovely to watch them grow up.
Very recently, when cleaning the quarantine tank containing new panda cories, otos and amano shrimp, I noticed panda cory fry, which was amazing and I hadn't seen any eggs.
If your tank has a lot of plants & decor there will be places for the fry to hide, then some will survive. If you would like to have a higher success rate then I'd suggest removing the eggs rather than the fry. You may be lucky enough to have eggs laid on decor/plants rather than glass, which would be much easier to remove, or even place in a fry net in the same tank https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-Newborn-Fishes-Hatchery-Breeder/dp/B00PZSYF0I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496208332&sr=8-3&keywords=aquarium+fry+hatchery
Or you can set up a completely seperate tank.
If the eggs are on the glass you can very gently roll them up the glass to remove them, and make sure that you take some of the tank water into the hatching tank so the water parameters don't change. Make sure that the hatching tank has something like a sponge/air filter with mature media, or put some tights over a normal filter intake so the fry don't get caught in it. Make sure they have plenty of places to hide just to feel secure, perhaps a bunch of elodea densa or other plant that is quite "fluffy" with lots of tiny leaves.
When the fry hatch they will look like tiny fish poops with a sense of direction (i.e. adorably tiny) and you can get specific fry foods, but I've previously just used fish flakes crushed into a powder.
I will admit that I have never made the effort to set up a hatching/grow out tank, so haven't had large numbers of fry to deal with, but I will say that watching them grow up is a fantastic experience, and I wish you all the best with your cories.
By the way, we will also be expecting regular updates and lots of pictures.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 07:32:44 AM »
I forgot to mention that a feed of bloodworms will condition the cories, and a water change of slightly cooler water will encourage spawning.
Good luck.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:46:35 AM »
I have some success with pygmy cories.

Some, like Littlefish's, hatched in the tank and survived with no intervention from me. At other times I have moved eggs but not had much success this way, probably because they starved to death. I was very ignorant of how to feed fry back then.
If you do move the eggs, make sure there is enough water current to stop the eggs becoming fungused. If they do, remove them. They'll be the ones that turn opaque white. Then you'll need to feed the fry. If your main tank is well established, any decor will be covered in biofilm and this will be fine for newly hatched fry, so move some into the fry tank. For slightly larger fry, try a microworm culture. You need to start that before you have fry, and you can buy starter cultures on Ebay.

When I discovered the rice fish fry in my betta's tank recently I fed them on some fry food I got years ago off Ebay. It is a red powder and might be decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. The four rice fish fry are now juveniles in my main tank, so this red powder fed them nicely.

Offline Gazzariff

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:33:35 AM »
Hi everyone many thanks For all the advice I will keep you all posted when it all happens

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:01:59 AM »
I have just remembered something I read a while ago about fry. Leaves. Specifically oak or Indian almond leaves.
When added to a tank, these leaves grow infusoria on their surface - these are microscopic creatures that are perfect for newly hatched fry to eat. The only problem is that they turn the water yellow so they might be better used in a separate tank.
If you don't mind tinting your main tank water, once the leaves sink and lie flat on the bottom of the tank they would also give cory fry something to hide under.

At this time of year you would have to buy Indian almond leaves but in the autumn you can collect oak leaves. They need to be from a tree where there are no chemicals used nearby; the leaves should be brown and have fallen naturally, ie they are dead; and they should be clean (no bird droppings etc). The leaves can be dried and stored.

If you leave the eggs in the main tank, be careful doing water changes. Newly hatched fry are very tiny and cory fry stay on the tank floor. It is very easy to accidentally suck them up because you can't see them properly. If you see eggs, check the water change bucket at the next few water changes before throwing the water away.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »
I siphoned up some panda cory fry from my quarantine tank recently, and it took me an hour with a pipette to transfer them back into the tank.  ::)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Egg laying Cory"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
18 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 09:26:43 AM
by ColinB
14 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 08:12:38 AM
by biffster
5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2015, 12:09:28 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post December 27, 2015, 12:58:55 AM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 07:31:49 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 10:25:49 AM
by apache6467
62 Replies
Last post August 30, 2018, 08:00:12 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: