Do Tropical Fish Benefit From Live Plants

Author Topic: do tropical fish benefit from live plants  (Read 11999 times) 34 replies

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
do tropical fish benefit from live plants
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:41:36 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi everyone.. when starting up a new aquarium does putting live plants in benefit the fish or will artificial ones  be ok.
i am thinking of stocking with mainly tetras, guppys, mollys etc .i have a 64 litre tank and over the next week will start stocking with 6 fish per week up to a max of 30 fish..  any advice would be welcome , thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: do tropical fish benefit from live plants
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:40:26 AM »
From the point of view of feeling safe, it doesn't matter what the plants are made of as long as the fish have enough to hide in if they feel threatened.
But real plants can help with water quality. They don't have to be anything fancy. I can't grow most plants but java fern thrives in my tanks. This is an easy plant, it doesn't need strong light or CO2 etc, and it grows fastened to decor rather than planted. I have it fastened to most of my wood and plastic ornaments.

I would not follow any rule that says you can have a certain number of fish in a tank. You need to take into account the size of the fish and their bioload (some fish poo a lot and all that waste means the fish have a high bioload for their size).
Mollies will probably get too big for a 64 litre tank. Guppies will be fine as will tetras that grow to a max of 5cm. Use the Community Creator (found in the all the fish profiles) to see what will fit and go with the other fish - but don't get as many fish as it says you can have.

You won't be able to add fish every week unless you do a fishless cycle with ammonia first. If you choose to do a fish-in cycle, you will add the first batch of 4 fish (the maximum I would go with for 64 litres) then test the water twice a day, doing a water change every time you have a reading for ammonia or nitrite. This could mean at least one water change every day for a few weeks. Only when both readings stay at zero without needing water changes will you be able to get more fish - and that will be several weeks later.

If you decide to go ahead with a fish-in cycle, please near in mine that guppies and neon tetras are delicate fish and may not survive.

This is how to do a fish-in cycle safely

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:19:09 PM »
Plants do benefit fish considerably, but to grow them you need to give them a fair chance. I now have 10 densely planted tanks in which the plants are thriving with minimum effort. I only have "ordinary" fluorescent lighting and no CO2 injection, so don't believe those who insist you must have enhanced lighting and extra CO2 to grow plants successfully. What plants need first and foremost is a decent substrate. Again, no need to buy ridiculously overpriced substrate additives. Mine is very simple, an inch of garden soil on the bottom, topped off by another inch of sand or gravel. Don't be afraid of soil. It stays under the top layer and won't make your tank or water dirty. I've found plants really thrive in this. However, it's best to restrict yourself to "easy" plants. Those which I've found to do best are Hygrophila polysperma and H. difformis, Rotala rotundifolia, Sagittaria subulata (doing much better than Vallisneria) with Echinodorus tenellus as a dwarf plant for the foreground. Cryptocoryne, and Java Fern or Anubias attached to bogwood, are OK, but they grow pretty slowly so I doubt if they are very useful in terms of improving water quality.
If you just put an inch or two of sand or gravel in the bottom of your tank and stick your plants into it then you are greatly reducing your chance of success. In nature, such substrates are invariably devoid of plants and one can hardly expect plants to succeed in such unsuitable conditions.
I can't do better than the following quotes from Diana Walstad's "Ecology of the planted aquarium".

"Essential to my natural aquarium is moderate lighting, a substrate enriched with ordinary soil, and well-adapted plants.

Hobbyists can protect fish from toxins by hard work, e.g., frequent water changes, gravel vacuuming, and enhanced filtration. However, given a chance, plants can purify the water naturally and effortlessly for the aquarium hobbyist. In my opinion, the ability of plants to purify aquarium water and protect fish has been woefully underestimated.

Using soil in aquariums is a strong ideological barrier for many aquarium hobbyists. Here, I mean soils that ordinary gardeners grow plants in— garden soil (i.e., topsoil) or potting soil.

Tanks with a soil layer and healthy plants will remove ammonia naturally, so bio-filters are unnecessary and possibly counter-productive.

Artificial fertilization with CO2, trace elements, and macronutrients is unnecessary if the tank contains a fertile substrate, the fish are fed well, and nutrients are not removed by over-zealous tank cleaning."

I suggest one must decide from the beginning whether to have a planted aquarium or not. I suspect most problems occur where people don't consider the requirements of the plants before they decide how to set up their tank, then try to grow them as an "added extra".

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »
I forgot to mention floating plants, which can be extremely useful and very easy. My favourite is Amazonian Frogbit Limnobium laevigatum. I bought a second hand tank which came with some fish, several mixed tetras. Having nowhere to put them for a couple of weeks, I brought most of the tank water home with me and put the fish back in their own tank. When I moved them to a fresh tank later, I noticed that they livened up greatly. I tested the old tank water and found the nitrates (only) were very high. By way of experiment, I put 20 frogbit plants in the old tank and left it for a couple of weeks, just with normal lighting and filtration. After a fortnight, I counted over 50 plants, most of which were already full grown, a remarkable rate of increase. Shortly after, I noticed the roots of the frogbit were becoming much longer, growing from about 2 to 10 cms in a week or so. When I tested the water again, the nitrates had dropped dramatically. I've lost the data, but levels were lower than in my tap water. Clearly the roots of the frogbit were growing longer in an attempt to extract more nitrates from the water. I'd read about this but it was quite impressive to see it in action. The root length seems a pretty good indicator of nitrate levels.

So even if you don't have a planted tank, I'd strongly recommend floating plants. As their leaves are in contact with air, they are not constrained by CO2 in the water and can therefore take advantage of excess nutrients in the water more easily than submerged plants. And if they spread too much, you can just net the surplus out and put them on your compost heap.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 04:47:24 PM »
Richard, would you recommend frogbit over Salvinia and water lettuce?
I had some Salvinia in my tanks for about three years then it nearly all died last summer. I did manage to save some thanks to Natalia's advice, it seemed to be coming back well then it died completely in the autumn. The duck weed also died off at the same time. I was removing dead brown plants from the tank every day where a couple of years ago I was putting handfuls of lush green plants in the compost every month.
I tried some water lettuce, bought that in October, and it just dwindled to nothing over about a month. Either some of my fish have suddenly developed a taste for floating plants or I'm doing something wrong.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »
wow that is a lot of info, thanks for the advice guys..i will have a re think of which fish to put in and maybe buy a few plants to see how they get on..  thanks again

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
It can be a steep learning curve! Very few shops or tank/filter instructions will mention cycling, for example - that's the name for the process of growing bacteria in the filter. And stocking can seem more like an art than a science. Will this fish be OK in that tank, will these two fish get on, do these fish need to be in a shoal or will they be OK as a single specimen, do these fish need hard or soft water, and so on. Then, as you have found, there is the question of plants. Some people are so keen on plants that fish are secondary.

Here are a couple of links explaining the two processes of cycling (growing bacteria in the filter)
with fish
fishless, that is before buying any fish

There is a fish database on here, under fish profiles in the top menu. At the bottom of each individual profile is the community creator. Fill in details about the tank then add fish to the virtual tank. It'll flag up any warnings about the fish you choose. You have to register separately from the forum if you want to save your fish list.
For fish that aren't in the database here look at seriously fish

Don't believe what any shop worker says about fish, and what will go in your tank. Too many of them will say anything to make a sale. Go and look at all your local shops but research before you buy. If the fish's name doesn't come up with a match ask them for the latin name, which should be on the invoice from the wholesaler.

There is a lot to learn at the beginning, but I promise you it does get easier.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »
Sue
I have yet to try Salvinia, it's on my list for later. My experience with water lettuce was like yours. Strangely, we used to grow this many years ago when the only tank light was a 60 watt tungsten bulb and it used to grow like crazy! The only other surface plant I've tried is the Water sprite Ceratopteris thalictroides. As a floater, it survives and gets bigger but is very slow to propagate. It grows well when planted.

I checked on the frogbit in my tanks and realised that it was doing much better in some than others. At first, I couldn't work out why. However, I have now concluded that it might be the filtration. It is doing badly in those tanks which have most water movement and agitation at the surface, while doing best in the tanks with the calmest waters. This makes sense as the natural habitat of floating plants must be in still or slowly flowing waters. Perhaps they don't like moving water? In addition, in one tank the water movement tends to carry them to the back, where there's not much light because of the tank design. If I don't move them out from time to time, these go brown and die off.

The other floating plant I forgot is hornwort, not a surface plant but drifts around under the surface. I like it because it provides shelter for fish but doesn't cast too much shade on the plants below.

It might also be worth mentioning that I don't fill my tanks to the absolute maximum level, as this brings floating plants too close to the hot lights which seems to cook them1 I just keep it a centimetre or two lower which seems to make all the difference.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:14:16 PM »
Natalia suggested that when my Salvinia started going brown last summer it was because of the heatwave, and condensation dripping onto the leaves combined with the heat. I left the lid flaps open during the day and the die off stopped until much later when it started dying again.
My largest tank (125 litres) does have quite a strong flow, it kept the Salvinia down at one end. I had the java fern at the filter end and silk plants under the Salvinia. When it reached the bracer bar across the middle, I used to throw some in the compost bin or it would have taken over. The Salvinia turned brown when it died, the duckweed went white.

The water lettuce just seemed to vanish into thin air. I never saw any dead leaves, they just disappeared. I did wonder if some of my fish ate that plant.

I used to have hornwort in my 60 litre tank, I wrapped it round the decor and let the stems drift. The tank sprung a leak a couple of years ago; I had to move the fish into the quarantine tank till I got a replacement tank and lost the hornwort then as there is not light on the QT. I might give it another go.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »
hi guys, just thought i would let you know how i got on, i now have 5 platys, 3 phantom tetras and 3 rummy noes tetras and four danios. i have also 6 plants in my tank.. as sue said it is a big learning curve and i have only lost 1 fish in the 9 weeks i have been doing this… i do have a problem with nitrite and ammonia at mo ( did have it perfect for a while )and a low ph of 6 but trying to work through it with plenty of testing and water changes. i even left them for a week while on hols and had an auto feeder and my daughter popped in twice to make sure they ok.. its hard work to start off with but very rewarding  :-))  thanks for your input and advice  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »
Your low pH won't be helping. At below 6.5, most bacteria don't function properly, but it is possible to grow enough viable ones to eventually keep your ammonia & nitrite under control. The process is very similar to the way medicine resistant bugs grow - the majority are affected by the low pH (or meds) but a few will be able to cope and they will survive to mulitiply and produce more bacteria capable of living in less than perfect conditions.

The alternative is to raise your pH. How hard is your water? If it is very soft, you can increase both hardness and pH slightly by using something made from calcium carbonate in your tank - limestone rocks, pieces of coral, crushed coral in the filter, possibly even shells. Calcium carbonate dissolves slowly, increasing both GH and KH over time. The other thing you could try is using remineralisation salts of the type used with RO water (Tropic Marin freshwater remin salts or Kent RO right). With this route you would need pH and GH testers until you learned how much to add with each water change.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 07:49:23 AM »
Glad to hear things are going well for you.

With regard to your Platies.... if you have a mix of male and female then you'll soon have baby platies everywhere and they'll need re-homing. If you have just male platies, then expect them to start fighting as they hit 'puberty'. It's a bit like teenagers in Newcastle really!  ;D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 09:26:20 AM »
Ooooh getting a bit close there Colin. At least you didn't say teenagers in Middlesbrough  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Ooooh getting a bit close there Colin. At least you didn't say teenagers in Middlesbrough  ;D

...only 'cos it's more difficult to spell :))

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 09:54:45 AM »
hi, thanks for advice,i have a 30l tank with 2 goldfish in and ph 6.5 isn but my tropical tanks (60l) and ph is 6 (light yellow on my ph chart scale)so maybe i have something in my tank that is making it low, any ideas..i have heard of crushed coral,so what would i have to do with it if i got some as i would like to raise it to at least 6.5. thanks    ps  i tested mains water that had been left in a bucket for 24 hours and it was 6.5 ish..

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 09:56:17 AM »
hi, im not sure what the platys are so will have to wait and watch, bit like being a teenagers dad!!   :rotfl:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 10:24:45 AM »
hi, im not sure what the platys are so will have to wait and watch, bit like being a teenagers dad!!   :rotfl:

:))

Platy naughty bits:

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »
looks like i have boys but hard to tell on the little ones!!  just wait for the fun to start then  :rotfl: thanks colin for info

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »
Things like bogwood can lower pH, especially if you have low carbonate hardness (which is likely given your tap water pH). Carbonate hardness, ie KH, buffers water against pH changes and if there isn't much of it, the tannins that leach out of wood can drop the pH quite a bit.

Something else you said does worry me

i have a 30l tank with 2 goldfish in
If they are fancy goldfish, ie fish with double tail fins, they need 70 litres for the first then 40 litres for each additional one, so your two goldfish need a 110 litre tank at the smallest. If they are commons or comets (single tail fin) they need bigger tanks again or a pond. When fish are kept in a tank that's too small they get stunted which leads t deformities and other health issues.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 01:02:14 PM »
hi sue, i have no bog wood,just a few live plants.. i just changed 25% of water and re tested ph after about 2 hours and it was 6.4(a light green on my chart) so something is reducing it but don't know what.. i clean and vacuum up on a regular basis and temp is 25 degrees..  any ideas sue  :)  as for my goldfish,my grandson won at a fair so i housed them in my 30l tank but are going in my pond when it gets a little warmer ..  (little single fin ones )
 :)

Tags: aquarium plants sue 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "do tropical fish benefit from live plants"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
17 Replies
Last post October 05, 2013, 11:42:28 PM
by Natasha
9 Replies
Last post October 12, 2018, 09:34:54 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 12:37:58 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 01:08:04 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 08:17:56 PM
by jaypeecee
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 04:17:00 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2019, 10:10:34 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: