Do Tropical Fish Benefit From Live Plants

Author Topic: do tropical fish benefit from live plants  (Read 12191 times) 34 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: do tropical fish benefit from live plants
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
That's how I started with fish, my sons won some goldfish at the fair. And they were in a 25 litre tank at the beginning, moving to 60 litres a couple of months later  :-[ The fair is at the end of October; by the following summer they hardly fit in the tank and we gave them away to someone with a pond. They do grow very quickly as I've seen so make sure you get them in the pond as soon as temperatures permit. Then you can keep a betta in the 30 litre (with a heater of course)  ;D.

Back to the pH problem. Can you list everything that is in both tanks ( though just fish and plants will do for those). Substrate and decor are the things we need to know to see what exactly is causing the pH difference. Since the tapwater that's stood 24 hours and the 30 litre are the same, what is in the 60 litre that's doing it?

What are you using to test the pH - make and strips/liquid/tablets?
What is the lowest pH level on the tester's scale? If 6.0 is the lowest colour, the actual pH could be even lower.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 06:18:36 PM »
hi sue, in my tropical tank i have 4 live plants and 2 plastic ones and 2 decor barrel and cannon thingy.substrate is red gravel from pets at home, in my goldfish tank all same but no live plants( they ate them a while ago!!) so in all nothing much different. i use a api liquid tester for my testing and yellow is lowest ph colour and my colour when testing is a light yellow   :-[.. i have some crushed oyster shell someone gave me to put in,will this help ..  thanks for your time

Offline Sue

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 06:47:24 PM »
I use the API pH tester too; your pH could be below 6.0 as if it drops off the bottom of the scale it will continue to show the colour for the lowest figure on the scale.

Curiouser and curiouser  ???

So the only difference is the live plants or lack of them. OK, next silly question (though you might already have told us, apologies if you have) - what is the nitrate level in both tanks? And your tapwater nitrate as some regions have a tap nitrate pushing the legal max of 50ppm and that needs to be taken into account. Live plants do use nitrate as fertilser, and they use ammonia which stops the nitrate getting high in the first place. Nitrate is acidic and very high levels can lower the pH.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 07:53:50 PM »
hi, nitrate is about 5 in both tanks, no nitrite in goldfish tank but 1 in tropical fish tank.. ammonia was .75 in tropical and 1 in goldfish if this helps( these were my last test results on friday )..just retested ph in both tanks bearing in mind both had water changes on friday and cleaned, tropical 6 (yellow ) and goldfish 6.4( light green) its baffling me i can tell you.. but all fish seem happy feeding and active!! ( nitrates in normal tap water was about 1ppm and ph was 6.6)

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »
The nitrite and ammonia could be affecting the pH in the tropical tank. Nitrite is acidic and ammonia is basic so they pull the pH in opposite directions depending on the proportions of each one. But they are both bad for fish. At your pH, the ammonia reading won't be a problem - ammonia exists in two forms in water, toxic ammonia and less toxic ammonium. The lower the pH the more that is in the less toxic form. But nitrite is more toxic at low pH than high pH so you really need to get that down below 0.25, preferably zero, by extra water changes. Once both ammonia and nitrite stay at zero, you might well find you pH sorts itself out.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
hi sue,  i normally clean and 25% water change once a week in both tanks, what would you recommend i do to get nitrite and ammonia down and would you put in extra bacteria, thanks

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
To get them down you need to do a water change as soon as you see a reading above zero, and as big as necessary to get them down to zero. 25% a week is for when ammonia and nitrite are at zero, and is to remove nitrate and other chemicals which have built up, and to replenish minerals etc which have been used up.
At your pH, ammonia won't be a worry unless it gets quite high, but nitrite is a worry.

Adding bacteria is not really an option as most of those bottles don't work. The vast majority contain the wrong species of nitrite eating bacteria and some contain the wrong ammonia eaters too. The only one easily available in the UK that does contain the right species of both bacteria is Tetra Safe Start, but even that doesn't work if it has been stored incorrectly at any time since manufacture.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
ok,. will give them regular changes and see how we go on, thanks sue.   :)

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
hi sue, update on my tank, i got nitrite down zero and nitrate to about 1 ( yellow) ammonia about .25, after a week should i be getting a low reading on nitrites and nitrates as i more or less get nil on the readings ,i thought i might get some sort of reading i.e. .25 or something like that.. just want to make sure i have bacteria and its working,

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 07:07:30 PM »
Don't worry about nitrate. In a cycled tank that is rarely zero. So long as you make sure it doesn't get into the 100s. And the test kits are only ball park anyway - you need a lab for really accurate results.

Your ammonia could well be zero as some test kits are very hard to read that low. Unless your pH is very high, it will be fine at that level. At lower pH it is nearly all in the less toxic ammonium form.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 10:40:58 PM »
well ill keep plugging away with it, its very rewarding when you manage to get the water in good condition though can be quite time consuming  :-) thanks

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
hi, its me again, my aquarium is running great at the moment and very happy with how its going, just love watching them swim around on an evening,even have named a few!!  i have just a problem with my cold water tank, i now have some cold water platys and were ok to start with but now just lay on bottom of tank or hide and thats all 4 of them, i have 5 other tiny fish in with them and seem ok, tests ok and ideas sue , thanks

Offline Sue

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »
How cold is cold? With the two common platy types (and most in the shops have both species in their ancestry) Seriously Fish recommends a minimum temp of 20oC. If your tank is colder than this, I would suspect they are too cold. A few years ago, I had two bolivian rams in my quarantine tank and unknown to me, I had managed to crack the heater. I finally noticed the water was cold. The fish were behaving exactly the same way you describe the platies.

What are the other fish in with them? They might cope with low temps better.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 07:59:42 PM »
hi, its 20 c, but since i messaged you i noticed they had various things wrong with them and gave them some no 9 antibiotics and they swimming around now though not fully fit they getting there, i also noticed some bullying going on too so i will keep an eye on mr bully !!  i have some little  white clouded mountain minnows (5) in there with them and they doing really well.. my other tank is fab, really love looking after them. takes me back to my childhood watching my dad looking after his tropical tank..  :-))   thanks for your help again . 
 :cheers:

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »
I've been running my heated tropical tank at 21/22c with no I'll effects for the fish so 20 should be easily warm enough for 'temperate' fish. It does sound like something else is likely to be the cause given that your other fish are fine.

Tags: aquarium plants sue 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "do tropical fish benefit from live plants"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
17 Replies
Last post October 05, 2013, 11:42:28 PM
by Natasha
9 Replies
Last post October 12, 2018, 09:34:54 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 12:37:58 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 01:08:04 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 08:17:56 PM
by jaypeecee
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 04:17:00 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2019, 10:10:34 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: