Do Not Know Whether My Cycle Has Stalled.

Author Topic: Do not know whether my Cycle has stalled.  (Read 9712 times) 18 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Do not know whether my Cycle has stalled.
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,
I am now on day 18 of my cycling (seems a lot less than that) and wonder whether my cycle has stalled.
I have had the same ammonia levels for the last 5days. It is at 0.25ppm and my Nitrites are still showing 5+ although the colour may have lightened a bit. So no real movement for 5 days and am wondering if this is normal?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Do not know whether my Cycle has stalled.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
If your ammonia is that low, you need to add more. or do you mean it drops to 0.25 a day after adding a dose of ammonia?
The second stage, growing the nitrite eaters, is the longer of the two. These bacteria seem to take about twice as long to grow as the ammonia eaters do. To be honest, 18 days isn't that long. I've come across people who are still cycling after 3 months!

One other thing to check - what is the pH of the tank water? If your carbonate hardness (KH) is low there won't be enough carbonate to stop the pH dropping with all that acidic nitrite the bacteria are making. Both bacteria grow best at pH's in the high 7's so if your has dropped below 6.5, they will stop multiplying. If your pH has dropped that low, report back and I'll tell you what to do  :D

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
Hi Sue,
Yes it is dropping to 0.25 about 24hrs after dosing with ammonia and what I was meaning to say that it has stopped dropping anymore. My ph is 8 at the moment or I should say it was a couple of days ago.

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »
In that case, you could try doing a big water change to get the nitrite reading down a bit. A lot of people find that helps. High nitrite can inhibit the growth of the nitrite eating bacteria, so lowering the nitrite level allows them to multiply faster.

Look on it as practising for when you have fish  ;D You'd be surprised the number of newcomers posting on fish forums because they can't manage to use a siphon tube.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »
Ok will do a water change tomorrow!! 50% ??

Cannot do it today..................footie is on  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:38:04 PM »
Tommorrow's fine, it's not like you have fish that could be poisoned if you leave it  :D

Try 50% and see what the nitrite level is after - wait 20 mins or so for the new and old water to mix thoroughly before testing. If it reads somewhere between zero and the highest colour on the chart, that's fine. Wait till your usual time before adding more ammonia.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »
Did a water change this morning....it was not 50%, as I was using a nitrate filter attached to the tap, and I only have 5 x 12L buckets and had to fill them all at once, as it takes about 15mins for each bucket. I did not want the filter etc switched off for too long.

The nitrate filter made a big difference.....my tap water comes out at 40ppm, and after filtering it comes out at 5ppm.

Checked the ammonia level about 1 hour after the water change and it was showing,what I consider as 0. So I dosed with ammonia as normal and will check ammonia,nitrites and nitrates this evening to see what my levels are.

The water became very clear quite quickly after the filter was restarted, apart from a little substrate dross floating on the surface but I expect that to disappear over the next 24hrs.  :D

Should say that I tested Nitrite as well and I cannot tell whether it is 2ppm or 5ppm or higher as the colour to me looks the same for both. So it appears that the water change did nothing for the nitrites !!???

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »
Can I ask, what is the nitrate filter? I've not come across anything that attaches to a tap that removes nitrate  ???

What brand test kit are you using for nitrite; what's the highest it can measure?

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
Hi Sue,
I am using the API Master Test Kit. The Nitrite measures up to 5ppm but the colour difference between 2ppm and 5ppm is very subtle.

The Nitrate remover is a large canister with resin inside. It filters up to 50gals and then can be re-charged by passing a  strong salt solution via the opposite direction to the flow. It works by ion exchange.

It is marketed under the name of Aquaworld.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
I've got the API one too, I needed to check as different makes have a different maximum.
Since 5ppm is the highest it can measure, all you can say is that before the water change, the level was somewhere above 5ppm. Anything from 5 upwards will show as 5.
You say you changed 5 x 12 litres, ie 60 litres so you changed just over a third of you 160 litres. As you now have somewhere between 2 and 5ppm, before the water change, your nitrite would have been between 6 and 15ppm. The water change has brought the reading down to a colour on the scale rather than off the top, which is what you wanted it to do. Hopefully, you'll find the cycle speeds up a bit now - though don't forget you are in the slower of the two stages.

I've googled that nitrate remover, I'd not come across it before. Since it's an anion exchnge resin it should be fine, it's cation exchangers you have to be careful with. They remove calcium mainly (used as water softeners) and alter the water chemistry to something you don't want in a fish tank.

Do you intend using the nitrate remover when you have fish? With a few exceptions, most fish can cope easily with 40ppm nitrate, but if you want one of those nitrate sensitive species it will help.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
Hi Sue & thanks,
To be honest I have not fully decided on what fish yet (or should say the wife has not decided)  :P

I bought the Nitrate remover just in case I needed it. I also thought it would be a good idea for when I did my major water change before stocking! I just want the water to be as near perfect for the fish as possible when I stock. :D

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »
You say you changed 5 x 12 litres, ie 60 litres so you changed just over a third of you 160 litres. As you now have somewhere between 2 and 5ppm, before the water change, your nitrite would have been between 6 and 15ppm.

I don't dare disagree too often with Sue's posts, but her arithmetic in this case is flawed!  If your readings are now somewhere between 2 and 5ppm, before the water change, your nitrite would have been between 3 and 7.5ppm.

I'm not sure this makes much difference to the post but errors like this make my bones itch.  The only relief I get is to correct them!  :)

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »
Thanks Steve.

I have now done my tests 8hrs after the water change.

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate     5.0
Nitrite       2.0 - 5.0
PH            7.4

Just like to say all the results were viewed under the horrible energy saving bulbs and not in daylight

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »
You say you changed 5 x 12 litres, ie 60 litres so you changed just over a third of you 160 litres. As you now have somewhere between 2 and 5ppm, before the water change, your nitrite would have been between 6 and 15ppm.

I don't dare disagree too often with Sue's posts, but her arithmetic in this case is flawed!  If your readings are now somewhere between 2 and 5ppm, before the water change, your nitrite would have been between 3 and 7.5ppm.

I'm not sure this makes much difference to the post but errors like this make my bones itch.  The only relief I get is to correct them!  :)

Quite right Steve, I did make a mistake  :-[ My figures would have been right for a two thirds water change, not a one third.

My appologies Mervyn.

It just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

That's the problem with those light bulbs and the ammonia test.
The interesting thing is that when the comapct fluorescent bulb in our bedroom went, none of the shops I tried for a replacement sold them. So I got a halogen bulb instead, they were everywhere. Much better even if they use more electricity! I have since found compact fluorescents on sale, but I'm not going back to them unless they ban halogens too.

Edited because my typing is even worse than that calculation!

Offline SteveS

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
That's the problem with those light bulbs and the ammonia test.  The interesting thing is that when the compact fluorescent bulb in our bedroom went, none of the shops I tried for a replacement sold them. So I got a halogen bulb instead, they were everywhere. Much better even if they use more electricity! I have since found compact fluorescents on sale, but I'm not going back to them unless they ban halogens too.

Totally off-topic and using Wikipeadia as a source (dangerous).  The EU has set a target date of 2016 for the enforcement of rules regarding the energy efficiency of light-bulbs.  This will see the phasing out of bulbs such as the halogen ones Sue mentions.  From this date it will be mandatory that all light-bulbs have a 'B' energy rating or higher.  This will mean either Compact fluorescents or LED based designs.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the LEDs. I would hate to have to go back to compact fluorescent. The bedroom one that went was white, something I hadn't seen for ages. We had a spare lower watt one, but that turned our pink walls orange and the dark red curtains a really horrible colour. Heaven knows what an ammonia test would have read under it. Or a nitrite come to that!

Hmmm, I can see me stockpiling halogen bulbs if LEDs haven't taken off by then.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 08:41:59 PM »
It isn't compact fluorescent that is the problem.  It is the cheap ones that are sold as replacements for the standard incandescent bulbs.  You can get daylight CFL bulbs but they are more expensive.  However LEDs are the future!

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »
That probably explains it - the temporary bulb was from a pack of free ones from the electric company. I was afraid I'd just be throwing money away buying one of the right watts, even  though I couldn't find any in the frist shops I tried.

Sorry Mervyn, I'll try and get back to your subject from now on!

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »
 ;D Well this mornings tests, under the horrible low energy bulbs, 12hrs after last test, were Ammonia 0.50 and Nitrites were 2ppm. As I say though, it is very difficult to judge fully as the light from those bulbs are terrible.

I might check this evenings test under the cooker lamp (which has a small candle bulb) or under a torch!!! Got to be better. ::)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Do not know whether my Cycle has stalled."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 09:09:59 PM
by SteveS
16 Replies
Last post March 31, 2016, 06:59:28 PM
by Charlotte
27 Replies
Last post June 17, 2016, 12:20:55 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 10:35:53 AM
by Paddy60
9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2017, 10:30:03 AM
by Sue
28 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 03:12:53 PM
by jaypeecee
2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2020, 02:45:49 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: