Dithering Now : (

Author Topic: Dithering now : (  (Read 2785 times) 9 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Dithering now : (
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I couldn't get fish yesterday, tank is truely cycled, i did 90% water change on Tues, and have been dosing up to 1ppm but i'm dithering now cos i could have got fish today, but don't know if i should do partial water change say 30% first, or would Tues w/c be enough  :-[

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Dithering now : (
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:27:47 PM »
Do you mean should you change water before or after you add your fish? I mean, do you intend to get your fish before Tuesday? If so, I would always say before. To quote the Think Fish articles again:

"Maintenance such as water changes, gravel cleans, and filter cleans, are essential parts of good aquarium care, but they are also disruptive to the aquarium environment. New fish need time to settle with as little disruption as possible so it is best to introduce new fish a few days after maintenance and a week before any further maintenance."

Good advice, as usual.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »
Hi Richard, i did big 90% already on Tues, thought i was getting fish Wed but couldn't, am no buying them tomorrow, so should i do a 30% w/c today or just test Nitrate tomorrow before i go?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 02:43:01 PM »
I'd do the change today, then no more for a week, so that the fish get the chance to settle in without disturbance. After all, if you test for nitrate tomorrow and find it high, you would have to change the water before getting the fish while I reckon giving the water a day to settle down first before adding fish is better.

Which fish do you plan to get tomorrow?

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »
Thanks Richard, i best get cracking then lol. Maidenhead Aquatics have some lovely Congo tetras, they reckon they will be ok first in  :-\

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »
GOT EM!!!   ;D 3 male and 3 female Congo Tetras, might be a bit of a baptism of fire for them as i haven't quite got my temperature stable yet, so annoyed i had it all set last night at 24c then for some reason decided shop would have em at 25c so upped it, turns out they have em at 24 so now iv'e turned it down again but not sure where it's going to land  *blink* All seem ok but there's always one isn't there, one female is staying very still hiding on her own, hope it's just nerves and nothing else, ah well watch this space (it will include pics if they all survive the next week)   :-\

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 04:13:42 PM »
Don't worry about one degree, it's neither here nor there for people or fish.
I'd give them a few days to settle before fiddling about with the water etc.
Good  luck!

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 04:41:29 PM »
Thanks Richard, just that nervous, will they won't they stage for a few days now lol  :-\

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 07:18:46 PM »
Hey AM,

Congrats on your new fishy occupants.

If it's any consolation, the female black phantom tetras I got 5 days ago all hid to begin with. This is the first day they have all come out and not hidden again if I approached the tank!!!!!

Delicate little souls are fishies!!!!    :fishy1:

FC76

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 07:56:43 PM »
Hi Fishcake, hope you have a great new year by the way  :) yes give em time and maybe they will be like my platy and minnow boys, they know the "feed time" voice and tap on tank lol they come a swimming lol.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: