Disappointed In My LFSs

Author Topic: Disappointed in my LFSs  (Read 4693 times) 18 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Disappointed in my LFSs
« on: January 11, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well, today I dragged the other half to two different LFS (actually one wasn't so local but he took me anyway)

Having had an experience of Mr Grumpy in the one less than a mile away we tried two others with a view to getting our fish locally when the time arrives.

First place had loads of fish, shrimp, frogs etc in tanks that were very old looking, although the water was clear. However, their Siamese Fighting fish were in tanks/fish bowls with no aeration, filters and not much gravel and were on the bottom of the tank. Is that normal.
?
What wasn't so clear was the advice. 
I explained that I was doing a fishless cycle and it wasn't finished yet but nonetheless I was told I could still put fish in, just a couple mind to start the tank off.

Me: Oh, I thought I had to wait for the tank to finish.

No, as long as you look out for the PH you'll be fine.

Me: Well ours is a well tested 7 so no worries there at present, but what about the ammonia

Oh as long as it's around 5 you'll be fine.

My face must have shown my consternation because that was quickly changed to, zero is better but well around 2.5 is OK. Then of course, you have to worry about your NitrAtes and as long as that's about the same as the ammonia you'll be OK.

Me: Do you have any male Endlers as that's the sort of size I'm thinking of.

Well, I think there's one male in that tank, and another one in that tank and, Oh yes, there's another one in that one.

Me: So how many fish can I have in my little 21 litre tank, bearing in mind we know we only want little ones, and I understand Fish such as Endlers and Neons are shoaling fish so I know I need more than one or two.

That size tank, well 15 or 20 would be fine, something like neons etc. Don't add them all at once mind, as it will stress the fish and the NitrAtes will spike

Me: - I'm doing a fishless cycle and nothing will be going in until it's completely finished.

Well there's nothing to stop you adding a couple of hardy fish now.

But I'm partly through a fishless cycle so it sort of defeats the object eh? Thanks we'll think about it.

Off to the second one over 10 miles away. Better looking tanks, nice shop, friendly staff. Betta fish in same size goldfish bowl as before though with no filtration or air.
Long story short, a young girl offers to show me fish. I tell her we're doing a Fishless cycle, looks puzzled. Well WE recommend that you set up the tank, leave it a couple of days then put in a few hardy fish.

Me: but I've started the cycle now so will finish. When it's done how many fish can I put in my 21 litre tank.

Oh, loads if you are going for neon size.

Following a question regarding shrimp, she took me to another member of staff who proceeded to say  we do NOT recommend the fishless cycle AT  ALL.  There's no point.
People think they can put all their fish in at once and then there's a spike and the fish die. You can't put all of them in at once. You have to let the tank settle. Add a few, then add more

Me: Well, what do YOU think I can put in this little tank of 21 litres, admittedly with aeration and filter and heater.
Can I mix, for instance
, the Cardinal tetras with the glowlights?

Not a problem, in fact you could start the tank of with 10 or so of them and then add another 5-10 a couple of weeks later.

Left the shop feeling very disheartened.

I've taken the trouble to investigate how to look after fish. I've sought advice on here and browsed the web, even the two young people at PetsatHome said I should only put in around 5-6 fish and they sell them, just like the LFS.

Is there no morality attached to any of this as far as fish welfare is concerned.   :'(

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Disappointed in my LFSs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 03:56:39 PM »
You could try the Practical Fishkeeping site, then look under "Fish shop finder". I found one in my area and under "Comments" people had all written very positive experiences. When I went I found it really was an excellent shop, 30 miles from me but well worth it.

Most branches of Maidenhead Aquatics also seem pretty good, though apparently variable, the two I've been to were pretty decent.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 03:57:10 PM »
Hi Sanjo, iv'e had similar experience, my Lfs is supposed to be friendly family run and very experiences, they started out being very pleasant and helpfull when i bought my first tank from them, but i make the mistake of questioning them on things i'd read on the forums, and that was it, they more or less said they didn't like people on forums who think they know it all and when i mentioned fishless cycle, they started treating me like an idiot. I still go in as they have great fish, but i did tell them i didn't feel welcome anymore. so the atmosphere is frosty now, but it they want my business, they will have to try harder. On a brighter note, we have a Maidenhead Aquatics too, they are pleasant and helpfull, but not always as knowledgeable as other shop, so it's a bit of a trade off, oh and MA tend to be lot dearer too. Hope you find what your looking for, and i did fishless cycle but you don't have to put all your fish in if you don't want to, as long as it's safe for those you do put in  :)) i cant afford to with new tank, so im putting in about a third, then adding a few at a time over the next few months : )

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »
Very few shops believe in fishless cycling. Either the workers do not understand it or they think it is too complicated for the majority of their customers to understand so they've never bothered.
And very few seem to know anything about stocking a tank sensibly either.

I go into a shop and look in all the tanks. If I need to ask I'll do it in a manner that suggests I know what I want and won't be persuaded to get something else instead. Not rude or anything, just 'I know what I want'. And I never ask their opinions  ;D

But I have had sensible conversations with the staff at several shops.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 05:28:22 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'm in Essex so Maidenhead too far.
Will checkout Practical Fishkeeping Richard
Maybe I won't feel so disheartened tomorrow.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
The only branch of Maidenhead in Essex is in Billericay, don't know how far that is from you.
Maidenhead is the name of the group, not the place where it is.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
Aha. Thanks Richard. Found it. My husband knows where it is so that's us sorted for tomorrow.

I expect I'll have to go all through the fishless cycling bit again but never mind.

I've often seen Maidenhead Aquatics mentioned (usually favourably) online and I did think it odd that a lot of people from that area posted their praise. DOH!

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 07:06:26 PM »
There's a branch in Braintree too. Alternatively, depending upon where exactly you are in Essex, you could try Crews Hill near Enfield. This has the advantage of being within walking distance of about 6 or 7 other shops. Why there are so many I am unsure but Wildwoods is especially worth a visit.

MA have a web page that will help you locate one of the 100+ branches they have nationwide.

However, the golden rule is to do your own research... don't rely on the shops, sadly the risk is too high.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
Good luck Sanjo, my local Maidenhead don't neccesarily understand fishless cycle, but they don't criticise and are helpful  :)

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 10:14:03 PM »
My local (Oswaldtwistle, Accrington) branch of Maidenhead Aquatics is brilliant. Cant praise them highly enough. Local PAH (Blackburn) has one young lady who is excellent, the rest are very poor. I only use MA when buying fish

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline bferg4

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »
I'll only buy my fish from my LFS (Riverside Aquaria) - no-where else.

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 11:31:59 PM »
Sanjo

MA Billericay is in the garden centre 'Summerhills' on the SOUTHBOUND A127. It is my LFS, as I'm in Basildon.

The three chaps that work there are great: James, Nick and Josh. Their customer service is very good!

The fish and tanks are well maintained, and they often have some interesting species. They have plenty of small fishes, which I love. My Fluval Roma 240L is currently the one on display, waiting for our decorating to get sorted out. You may stroke it in awe if you wish 8)

In contrast, the other few places around here aren't so good. Swallow Aquatics is pretty hit-and-miss; continue Southend-bound to the A1245 roundabout, turn left (towards Chelmsford), then right at the next roundabout. Swallows is the second thing on the right.

Hope this helps! :cheers:

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »
It does indeed Naughtymoose.
We did suss out where it was (we are in Hornchurch) and are going there today.
It's good that it gets a personal recommendation.
I'm not sure I had better even go anywhere near your Fluval because of the dreaded "tank envy"

We are starting with a 21 litre Aquanano the grandsons bought us and we are already telling ourselves we'd like a bigger one!!

Thanks again   ;D
Sandra

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
Feeling happier now!

Thanks for the heads up Richard, Naughtymoose and all.

Went to the Billericay branch of MA. Excellent young man not only knew fishless cycle said well done for doing it. Yay!! He tells buyers about it but they prefer to see fish in their new tanks so don't try it.

He left us alone to browse but was full of help and advice when I was ready to ask questions.

He doesn't have many endlers at present but we are quite taken with the colourful guppys so that's probably what we'll go with. Wouldn't need many of them to make a display either.

Naughtymoose (Kevin?)
I hope you don't mind. I have lovingly stroked your tank and admired it greatly.
Sigh... told you tank envy would appear.
Ah well maybe one day.

Thanks everyone

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 02:01:24 PM »
Glad to hear your back on track and optimistic again Sanjo ;D don't forget the catchphrase "tank aint big enough" lol  :wave:

Offline gaynor crawte

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
@ Sanjo. there are two Maidenhead Aquatics in Cambridgeshire.  I live in Essex but go to the branch in the local garden centre in Sawston, Cambs.  Not sure if this is nearer for you.  I have always found them very good

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 04:10:42 PM »
Thanks Gaynor but Cambridge would be a step too far to ask the other half to go to.  Today was bad enough. He reckons it was 11 miles there. Annoying when we have Mr  Grumpy not a mile away and then two more we didn't like.
He was happy enough in the end when we were both impressed with what we saw.
Just got to contain our impatience now.
Have added some Elodea to the Alternathia "Rosanervig and the Bacopa australialis.
The Rosanervig doesn't look too happy now but is throwing a root.
Aquaman said Elodea isn't likely to root but it used to in my goldfish bowl. If it doesn't I should probably have left that one until I actually got fish!!

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 04:19:28 PM »
hi Sanjo

Glad James looked after you at MA Billericay.

I was in there just now, picking up some more Lava Rock, and he said that you'd come in.

I polished the finger prints off... :)

Colin

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 07:55:56 PM »
hi Sanjo

Glad James looked after you at MA Billericay.

I was in there just now, picking up some more Lava Rock, and he said that you'd come in.

I polished the finger prints off... :)

Colin

Not fingerprints Colin surely. Smears maybe
I stroked it VERY carefully and gently  :))

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: