Author Topic: Dimensions of a spherical tank  (Read 5801 times) 14 replies

Offline ros77uk

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
Dimensions of a spherical tank
« on: March 15, 2013, 10:49:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello

I am confused by the Community Creator.  It asks for the length of my tank - but my tank is an Aquael 45, a sphere... :'(

Can anybody help?  is there a standard size which ThinkFish want me to put in there?

Ros

TigzFish

Re: Dimensions of a spherical tank
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »
The length of a sphere is the same as the circumference, so measuring around the outside of the widest part of the bowl will give you the approximate equivalent length.

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 12:33:15 AM »
Hi Ros,
Welcome to the forum.
What are you going to have in your sphere?  I'm new to fishkeeping so I'm interested in what other people have got, (some might say nosey! :))

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:57:00 AM »
The length of a sphere is the same as the circumference, so measuring around the outside of the widest part of the bowl will give you the approximate equivalent length.

Wouldn't the length be more accurately given by the diameter?

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
I've always used the diameter for spherical tanks as that's the longest distance a fish can swim in a straight line. Yes, fish in a spherical tank can swim round and round following the glass (circumference) but this isn't the natural way of swimming.

TigzFish

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »
Well, I am only quoting what I learned in school, so many years ago admittedly.

Is the diameter enough?  If using just a diameter to measure WxLxH you would get a cube, giving a larger volume. Granted we are not measuring a volume because we already know it is 45litres (assumed by the description of the tank).

However, why not try both methods in the Community Creator, one using diameter as length and another using the circumference as length, and see what the stocking levels come out as.  If the circumference seems to be too generous, then use the diameter variant (which is going to be smaller).

Thoughts?

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 12:40:02 PM »
The community creator uses the length of the tank do determine the longest fish that will go in it. I know there is a 'rule' that states a tank should be at least 5x longer than the biggest fish in there. To my mind, this means the diameter of a spherical tank should be entered.

The other thing about spherical tanks to be borne in mind is that they should have less fish than a rectangular tank of the same volume. They have a very small surface area to volume ratio compared to rectangular tanks. Gas exchange (oxygen in, carbon dioxide out) takes place at the surface and a smaller surface = less gas exchange even with the filter moving the water round, meaning the fewer fish the tank can support.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »
Is the diameter enough?  If using just a diameter to measure WxLxH you would get a cube, giving a larger volume. Granted we are not measuring a volume because we already know it is 45litres (assumed by the description of the tank).

OK, I know what's what now.  For "length" of tank as in the CC, see Sue's post.  It should be the diameter.  For you Tigz, the volume of a sphere isn't WxLxH.  It is (4xPIxR3)/3.  PI is 3.1415926.... and R is the radius.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »
I'm not well you know, and now you've made my head hurt... ???

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

TigzFish

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 06:37:42 PM »

LOL.  I think it's catching... I have a sore head now too.  ;D

Offline SteveS

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »

LOL.  I think it's catching... I have a sore head now too.  ;D

If you have sore heads over that, then to calculate the volume of... well anything... use the ThinkFish volume calculator.

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 10:28:17 PM »
That's what I have a husband for!  He is mustard at maths and science-y stuff.  I just tell him what I need to know....and he does it in his head!  It's a real pain if I'm not talking to him though, I have to try and do it myself, I usually wait until I've forgiven him for whatever he's done :)
Still, it works both ways, he asks me how to spell things...what a team! :)

Offline ros77uk

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  Now I just have to go and work out what the diameter of my tank is... ;)

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 06:48:39 PM »
to work out the diameter of a circle. i use this in college. what i do is, put 2 pieces of striaght wood/timber across the circle and measure the distance each side between the two pieces of wood to make sure its the same distance gap

in the diagram, once the ?? are the same, thats your diameter.

(you dont have to use wood, just any 2pieces of something that are straight)

there may be an easier way to work out diameter but i use this and its accurate, hope this helps  ;)

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
You could always measure the circumference and use C = piD so the diameter is the circumference divided by 3.14.

Edit - it may be a long time ago now but I did get grade 1 in O level maths  ;D
And for those who have no idea what the grading system was, 1 to 6 were pass grades, 7 and 8 were fail grades and then there was such a low mark it was classed as ungraded.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dimensions of a spherical tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 10:31:14 AM
by maz1
1 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 02:35:10 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 01:00:46 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: