Community Creator

Author Topic: Community Creator  (Read 4862 times) 8 replies

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Community Creator
« on: July 18, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys, on the community creator, what's the highest percentage to go to? is it best to leave 15-20% free for plants, rocks and swimming space??

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Re: Community Creator
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
Hi guys, on the community creator, what's the highest percentage to go to? is it best to leave 15-20% free for plants, rocks and swimming space??

Hi Rich, as is often the case, there isn't a single straight forward answer!

I would suggest using an aquarium volume in the CC which already takes account of your decor (e.g. if your tank is 100l and your contents displace 5l, add your volume as 95l - apologies if this is obvious but just trying to be clear).

I personally wouldn't make any direct allowances for plants (unless you have an aquatic jungle) because plants almost always have an overall positive effect on the tank.

The plants would perhaps come into play more with swimming space, but your swimming space needs to take account of your fish - slow moving docile fish e.g. Guppies, don't generally need loads of free swimming space, whereas fast moving active fish, e.g Danios, Rainbows, will.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »
Thanks Dbaggie, i have a 250 litre tank which i have some caves in and im getting quite a few plants but plan to have a fairbit of swimming space in the middle of the tank with the plants going round the edges. So far with what i want im getting about 65% full of fish. One other question what would class as an oversozed filter? I have an external filter which cycles 1000 l/ph and a 250 litre tank?

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:47:56 PM »
There is an info button next to filter type in the CC. It says
An oversized filter means one which is rated for at least twice the tank's volume, such as a 200 litre filter in a 100 litre tank

It doesn't go by the turnover but the size of the tank the manufacturer says it is designed for. I have a filter rated for up to 240 litre tanks. When I had it in my 125 litre tank, that counted as oversized. It is now in my 180 litre tank, so it is not oversized for the new tank.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 12:18:24 AM »
Ok Sue thanks, my filter is rated upto 400 litres, would you say that is oversized or normal?

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »
im getting quite a few plants but plan to have a fairbit of swimming space in the middle of the tank with the plants going round the edges.

I've taken a similar approach with the bulk of my plants, rocks and bogwood around the back and corners of the tank, leaving a decent amount of free swimming space. I've found this works well, allowing the more active fish the room they need whilst giving the slower, more inquisitive fish the opportunity to nose around at their leisure  :)

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 08:38:36 AM »
im getting quite a few plants but plan to have a fairbit of swimming space in the middle of the tank with the plants going round the edges.

I've taken a similar approach with the bulk of my plants, rocks and bogwood around the back and corners of the tank, leaving a decent amount of free swimming space. I've found this works well, allowing the more active fish the room they need whilst giving the slower, more inquisitive fish the opportunity to nose around at their leisure  :)

Yeah ive seen alot of those kind of aquascapes, ive got some slate caves to seal together first though! Should be buying plants next week!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »
Rich, 400 litres is less than double 250 litres, so I would class your filter as normal rather than oversized. But maybe look at the difference in stocking allowance between normal and oversized, and regard yours as somewhere between the two.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 12:38:25 PM »
Rich, 400 litres is less than double 250 litres, so I would class your filter as normal rather than oversized. But maybe look at the difference in stocking allowance between normal and oversized, and regard yours as somewhere between the two.

Hi sue, theres about a 50cm stocking difference, but ive only got it to about 72% with the things i want in the tank anyway and thats with a normal external filter selected. Was more curious than anything. Just incase when i go to a shop i see somethingg i didnt expect them to have i like to have abit of room after all the necessary checking that they're compatible with the rest of my fish that is!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Community Creator"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 02:42:20 PM
by Diz1
24 Replies
Last post January 29, 2016, 09:37:38 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post February 05, 2016, 08:12:02 AM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2018, 05:25:25 PM
by Helen
3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2018, 08:54:50 AM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2020, 07:35:39 PM
by Woodsie
1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2023, 03:25:25 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: