Choosing Fish And Shrimps

Author Topic: Choosing fish and shrimps  (Read 8529 times) 43 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Re: Choosing fish and shrimps
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 09:12:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As such im afraid i have to disagree that a source of supplemental carbon is needed ... it will be the limiting factor to plant growth if non is added. This is not a problem, we just need to balance this out with low lighting and reduced fertilisation.  This leads to a slow growing low maintnenace aquarium (but NOT to poor plant health as many would have you believe).

Hi Matt,

The point that I was making to Marcus was that he will need to add carbon and other ferts if he has bright lighting. As I said previously, it is lighting that dictates the need for nutrients. So, you and I are in agreement. There are people who prefer to have a very low maintenance tank just like yourself. Indeed, I can think of one person who has really mastered this approach. He is a regular contributor on the UKAPS forum and a person that I greatly respect.

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 01:59:14 AM »
Agreed!   :cheers:  Sorry I didn't mean to come across as standoffish here (there's a pun in there somewhere...). I wonder Marcus, have we confused you? I'll try and summarise...

The point we are both making is: Light, nutrients, and co2 are the three factors dictating plant growth and they need to be in balanced with each other. If there is an excess of one of these such as light as there may be in your case, this will inevitably leads to algae or other problems.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 11:46:37 AM »
Thanks Matt, I'm still with you just :)

I've been looking at the light source and app.  I have sliders for the spectrum so I think to dim I can just reduce white, red and blue.  Guessing now but sliding all down the same amount should keep lighting equal but just less of it.

Nutrients I'll look at fertiliser, Tropica website says I don't need this for I think it said 2 to 4 weeks on their plants.

CO2, this is the confusing one for me.  I've been careful with my plan selection in that they are all Easy grow Low CO2 requirements.  I had no intention of adding pressurised CO2 and so much negativity around surround liquid CO2 I had thought to just add zero and see what happens.

Do think we will grab some shrimp at the weekend, Tropica site say 1 per 5L of water but 34 shrimp seems excessive hahaha

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (7) - Black Widow Tetra (4) - Pearl Danio (1) - Zebra Danio (3) - Otocinclus (2) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Black Widow Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (5) - Golden Barb (5) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (5) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Otocinclus (6) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Blue Tetra (5) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cherry Barb (8) - Bloodfin Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Penguin Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
You don't need to buy 34 shrimps unless you go for amanos. As long as you get at least one male and one female, they will breed  :) If you get half a dozen you should have some of each. If you get them from a real shop, try to get a berried female. This is a female which is carrying eggs under her abdomen, which are said to look like a bunch of berries. It is easy to spot a berried female. This way, even if you end up buying all females, some of the eggs should hatch into males.

Amanos can't breed in fresh water; at least, they do breed but the larvae which hatch from the eggs need salt water to survive.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »
You've a solid plan on co2 and ferts. I would reduce the light quite significantly initially (40% of max for example) and ramp up from there if you find a need later on. I would reduce the blue quite a bit, I have mine on zero. Blue light is said to encourage algae. Not sure how much truth there is in it, and it's probably not worth debating here as regardless the plant and shrimp colours will pop more with just white and red.

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 07:06:26 PM »
Higher plants need both red and blue light to grow well. Algae grows fine in just blue. With too much blue compared to red, algae grows well but higher plants struggle.

On my betta's tank I had a clip on LED light that was either white and blue or just blue - I used only the blue and white setting. The plants failed to grow so i had to put fake plants in, which were soon covered in algae. A couple of months or so ago, I changed the light for one with blue, white and red LEDS. The spectrum of this light shows a peak in both red and blue with a broad hump between. The plants have been growing well while the algae is slowly going.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 07:34:45 PM »
Thanks,

Set my lighting now to

Red 75%
Blue 65%
Green 75%
White 75%

For 6hrs and slow dawn and dusk for an hour each side.

Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (7) - Black Widow Tetra (4) - Pearl Danio (1) - Zebra Danio (3) - Otocinclus (2) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Black Widow Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (5) - Golden Barb (5) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (5) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Otocinclus (6) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Blue Tetra (5) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cherry Barb (8) - Bloodfin Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Penguin Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 07:16:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 09:10:48 PM »
 8)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2019, 12:41:31 PM »
That is impressive - well done!  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 09:04:30 PM »
Your tank looks great.  ;D

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 05:43:51 PM »
Thanks but bit annoyed today.  5 shrimp purchased, 24hours on 1 dead at bottom of the tank, no sign of the other 4.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2019, 07:10:51 PM »
It's not unheard of for shrimp to struggle acclimating to a new tank. Hope you managed to see some of the others tomorrow.

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 07:11:28 PM »
Shrimps are experts at hiding, the 4 may well be alive.

The one that died probably couldn't cope with being moved from one tank to another. But I do need to check - it was a dead shrimp not a shrimp exoskeleton?

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2019, 07:36:23 PM »
It was a full shrimp all pink/red originally clear when alive.  Found one walking about.  Found a 2nd dead one.  Hopefully two others are hiding

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2019, 02:55:04 AM »
Check your tank parameters and do a water change even if it is only for peace of mind...

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2019, 09:45:55 AM »
Will do a water change shortly.  I find it tricky to judge the test tube colour against the plastic card but I think the below is correct.

Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm but could be 5 or 15 :/
Ammonia 0.25ppm

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »
Think I’ve found what looks like the shell of a shrimp only. Clear and sitting on the moss.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2019, 03:32:14 PM »
That may not necessarily be a 3rd body - shrimp moult and shed their exoskeletons - but I've never kept them, so other shrimp-keepers may be able to advise accordingly. Hope at least some of them survive - fingers crossed for you.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2019, 03:44:53 PM »
Potentially a shred but I wasn’t expecting it in less than 24hrs.

I’ve now seen two at the same time so bit of luck there.  I’ve removed two bodies.  Maybe 2 left as we got. Tiny tiny one in the bag when we paid for 5 and got 6.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Choosing fish and shrimps"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 11:14:20 PM
by dbaggie
48 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 08:42:58 PM
by Helen
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
30 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 01:56:09 PM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 12:10:31 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post November 06, 2016, 08:44:24 PM
by pandaman
0 Replies
Last post June 26, 2019, 11:00:49 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: