Changing And Rinsing Filter Media

Author Topic: Changing and rinsing filter media  (Read 10588 times) 2 replies

Offline Narm1971

• Fishy Contributor
Changing and rinsing filter media
« on: March 25, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello

I have been running a Juwel 600 tank since January. The filter media is 4 stage: poly pad, carbon, nitrax and then the blue filter sponge.

The Juwel instructions suggest very regular changing - but I have read this is not necessary. I have also read that too much rinsing can remove helpful bacteria.

Since start up I have changed the poly pad once, have rinsed it (in old tank water) twice and have also rinsed the nitrax (again in tank water).

Other than the poly pad, I can't see that the others are likely to wear out any time soon. Is occasional rinsing ok? Are there any that should not be rinsed? What is a suggested changing or rinsing regime?

Advice welcome.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Panda Cory (2) - Dwarf Gourami (3) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Changing and rinsing filter media
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
The white pad will need changing regularly. Before I removed the built in filter from my Juwel rio I discovered that after 2 washes at most it went all shapeless. The white pad is first in the water flow with the Juwel filters and its sole purpose is to catch any bits to stop them getting to the sponges. If it doesn't fit propely because it's gone shapeless, it won't catch all the bits. But don't buy more Juwel ones. Get a roll of filter wool and use a Juwel pad as a template for cutting more. You'll save a huge amount of money doing that. Pond filter wool is even cheaper.

The nitrax - is that a geen sponge? - if it is, the general consensus is that they don't remove nitrate. But the sponge is a perfectly good home for the filter bacteria so treat it like a blue sponge.

Blue sponges - just wash them in water that you take out during a water change. They will only need replacing when they literally fall apart or won't go back to shape. They'll last for years. Never change them all at once when this happens. Leave at least a month between changing them. Treat the green sponge like this too.

Carbon sponge - you don't actually need to use this. Carbon gets full quickly, in a matter of days or a couple of weeks at most. If you choose to use it, you should replace it every couple of weeks.
Or you could just replace it with another blue sponge.

As for cleaning frequency, the sponges shouldn't need cleaning too often because the white pad catches most of the dirt (uneaten food, fish poo, bits of dead plant etc). If you notice the outflow speed dropping off, that's the time to clean the sponges. Just squeeze gently enough to remove any deposits on the sponges, not so hard that you dislodge all the biofilm and bacteria. The sponges with never look like new again.
Have a look at the sponges once a month for now. If they look dirty, clean them. If they don't, leave them another month. You'll soon get to know how often to do it.

Offline Narm1971

• Fishy Contributor
Re: Changing and rinsing filter media
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice. That's really helpful. I never knew that filter sponges would be so complicated!  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Panda Cory (2) - Dwarf Gourami (3) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Changing and rinsing filter media"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 11:04:21 AM
by Fishx4
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
29 Replies
Last post February 15, 2019, 08:31:37 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post December 01, 2016, 10:39:55 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2018, 10:26:29 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2018, 08:13:59 AM
by BT Bob
2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2021, 04:10:36 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: