Can Anyone Let Me Know If My Water Chemistry Is Okay For My Fish?

Author Topic: Can anyone let me know if my water chemistry is okay for my fish?  (Read 3589 times) 5 replies

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have been keeping fish around 3 months and have 3 species of danio (glowlight, zebra and pearl), harlequin rasboras and some neon tetras. I would like to add some honey gourami and some dwarf corydoras eventually.

I have the following water chemistry tested using API liquid test kits

ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 20-30ppm
KH/GH - I have just used this test for the first time and don't really understand my results. I added 8 drops of KH before it changed colour (143ppm?) and 18 drops of GH test (322ppm?)
my PH is 8.0 water temp around 24.2 deg C.
I have bought some peat balls and wondered if using these may help to reduce what seem to me high levels of GH and PH. Can anyone advise me please? Thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Can anyone let me know if my water chemistry is okay for my fish?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
The GH and KH tests can be a bit confusing at first. It sounds like you did them right - add 1 drop at a time until the water in the tube changes colour. The number of drops = number of german degrees, and multply both by 17.9 to convert german degrees to ppm.

Your results are fine for the zebra and pearl danios, though the hardness is really a tiny bit high for the glowlights. Your temp is also maybe a bit on the high side for all three danios.

As for dwarf cories, pygmies are fine at your hardness, like the pH a bit lower (though it would probably be OK) and can also take temps down to 22 deg. Hastatus cories are the same as pygmys while habrosus need the water a bit softer. So for dwarf cories look at either pygmies or hastatus.

Honey gouramis prefer their water a bit softer than yours.

Your KH, at 8, is middling high. The peat may help a bit but you may find you have too much carbonate for the peat to lower things much. Try it and see. Bear in mind that if you alter the chemistry in your tank so it is different from your tapwater it won't be a good idea to a large water change. It is better in these circumstances to do two or even three small water changes a week rather than one big one. So for instance, three 10% water changes rather than one 25% water change per week.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 06:25:41 PM »
Thanks Sue. :)
Do you think it would be okay just to pop a peat ball into the tank? Or would that change things too quickly. Also I was thinking of using RO water to reduce the levels of carbonate and PH a bit but I am unsure how much at any time. I have a 125 litre tank (probably 100 litre of water with substrate etc). and I change about 20 -30 litres per week. I was thinking maybe of changing 10 litres RO and 15 litres tap water. Incidentally, the tap water has a PH of 8.0 even after 24 hours - tested it yesterday to check that the water company weren't adding anything to raise the PH which would evaporate off.

If I lower the temp say to 23 degrees would that suit all the fish I have planned?  Sorry to keep asking you so many questions?

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:48:14 PM »
23 - 23.5 deg would be fine. With peat balls, I think they are supposed to go in the filter.

If you use RO, that would reduce both GH and KH, and probably also the pH a bit. The easiest way to use RO is to mix it with your tapwater. As your tap water is hard, you have lots of minerals so you wouldn't need to add any. The way to start using RO is bit by bit so you don't shock the fish with a big change.
Experiment mixing the RO and tap water in a bucket, testing it till you lower both hardnesses a bit. You don't need to go very far, maybe try 1 part RO to 3 parts tap starting off and see what GH the bucket mix gives. If that's around 12-ish german degrees (12 drops reagent) use that to do your water changes for a few weeks, which will gradually get your GH and KH down to the same level. That level GH should be OK for the fish in your list. Maybe instead of doing one 25 to 30 litres, do two 15 litre changes a week till you've got the tank GH to the same as your mix in the bucket. Once it's there you can go back to once a week changes of 25 - 30 litres. Then if you want to lower the GH further, use the same gradual method again.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:26:17 PM »
That's really great advice- spot on what I have been looking for! Thanks so much Sue  :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »
Glad to help. The thing with altering the hardness is to do it slowly so the fish can adapt to each small change before you do the next one. Once you have the tank's GH where you want it, make sure to use exactly the same tap/RO mix for all water changes to keep the tank water stable.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Can anyone let me know if my water chemistry is okay for my fish?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
13 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 08:47:20 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2014, 09:12:03 PM
by evan47
5 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 06:43:43 PM
by Diz1
22 Replies
Last post January 08, 2019, 12:29:41 AM
by Helen
23 Replies
Last post January 01, 2021, 08:00:45 PM
by Littlefish
1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2021, 06:50:10 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: