New Tank - Cycle Or Use Water Additives?

Author Topic: New Tank - cycle or use water additives?  (Read 6048 times) 27 replies

Offline ChrisP1969

• Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: New Tank - cycle or use water additives?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 08:52:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :yikes:             :yikes:                   :yikes:

Sorry everyone, the figures I gave earlier were what came up when I looked online tonight, however they're significantly different to the ones I'd based my stocking idea on.  To clarify, the figures I'd been using were from a PDF of a Water Report I downloaded back in Oct 2017, which were...

----------------------------------------------------------

Water Report for ZS 110 based on 24 testings from 01/01/2015 to 31/12/2015.

Moderately Hard @ 80 mg/ltr Calcium and 200mg/ltr Calcium Carbonate  (14.0* Clarke, 11.2* German, 20.0* French)
and the PH values were given as 7.2 Low / 7.6 High = 7.3792 Mean Average.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Compared to the figures I got tonight from...

Water Report for ZS 111 based on 24 testings from 01/01/2016 to 31/12/2016

Slightly Hard @ 50mg/ltr Calcium and 125mg/ltr Calcium Carbonate (8.75* Clarke, 7.0* German, 12.5* French)
and the PH values were given as 7.3 Low / 7.7 High = 7.425 Mean Average.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Both sets of figures came up based on Post Code (DH6 xxx, btw, just in case there are any local members out there with experience of similar water conditions) and as I haven't moved in the three months or so and presumably the water conditions themselves shouldn't have changed that much, I can only guess that either there's been an admin/input error when the figures were entered online (note the different zoning numbers) or perhaps there's been a change in the way my water company records/administers it's zoning areas.

I'm tempted to believe the 'harder' figures are correct as where I live is slightly elevated and we've traditionally had problems with furring/deposits, etc. compared to surrounding areas.  But I'll try contacting them direct, asap, to see if they can shed any light on this discrepancy.  In the meantime, maybe I'll work off values based on averaging out the two sets of figures.

Okay, now that that's clarified, when I mentioned the paired Rainbowfish earlier, that was based on the min stocking levels and tank size requirements given in the TF Fish Profiles section and use of the Community Creator, so boy am I pleased to have access to the personal knowledge available through this Forum.

So, apologies everyone for giving the misleading figures before and Thanks Littlefish and Sue for the new links.

:fishy1:               :fishy1:                     :fishy1:           

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 08:54:41 PM »
http://aqadvisor.com/
... Although the stocking levels are stricter
It is a useful website to cross-check against and useful for the reasons you mention; however, its stocking levels seem to be stricter for some people but less strict for others - it would "allow" me an extra shoal of fish in my tank which, while very tempting, I don't actually think is realistic.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 08:58:55 PM »
Goodness - those figures are considerably different, so I definitely think you're taking the right course of action in contacting the water/utility company to get some sort of verification/explanation as to what's happened/ing and to establish the correct figures - they'll probably be glad that you've highlighted this.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 08:59:53 PM »
It's always worth getting the numbers confirmed before making any decisions.  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 09:00:52 PM »
You water supply is now coming from a different source I think. The ZS code is a water supply zone I believe which relates to an area of the water network supplied by a treatment works. The water networks are linked together and one can feed another so it could be that your water company has decided to use more of one source of water or treat more water at a particular treatment works.  Hopefully they can confirm exactly what's gone on when you speak to then.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 10:32:35 PM »
I'll also add that those reports were for 2015 and 2016. There is probably a more up to date report, if you can find it.

I'll echo what @Matt says and highlight that the water companies can change the source of their water. I'm at the edge of the peak District so that is where my water usually comes from (lots of peat on those hills, so soft water). But when I checked my postcode before Christmas, we were apparently being supplied by the Lake District! (A very long way away). But I'm guessing that a lot of their water is direct into the reservoirs, so is even softer. Just as I was getting my head round the implications of this on my fish, I noticed that the data had been updated (the day before my last check) and we were back on our normal source. Phew.

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
I agree, contact the company. But I would phone rather than email - when I emailed mine to ask if they used chlorine or chloramine, all they did was send me the water quality report that was already on their website.

The database and CC on here are a bit out of date. I joined the forum in its previous incarnation in 2006 and they were already here back then so they are at least 11 years old. Our knowledge of fish is constantly improving, and Seriously Fish does update its database so I always check on there.

Offline ChrisP1969

• Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »
Just to let folks know progress regarding the water quality issue raised previously, I did contact my local water company via their website and they replied as follows (slightly paraphrased) - (yes, I know it was a while ago now. I was going to wait until I'd actually got the aquarium set-up underway; to update you all, but I was browsing the forum today and reading the latest posts and thought I clear things up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Xxxxxx

Thank you for your email which I received on 4 February 2018 regarding the water quality in your area.

I understand your post code was uploading incorrect information on our website for your water quality report. I have spoken to our Water Quality team, who have confirmed that the water in your area can change and it is dependant on a few factors.

Your water is fed from a ground station in New Winning; ground stations can be expensive to run due to them needing pumps and electricity to work. Therefore, depending on the cost the water can be alternatively sourced from a service reservoir.

The source can also change depending on the demand for water in your area and surrounding areas, if the demand is higher than what can be pumped out of New Winning station, again the water would need to come from a different source. 

I appreciate you needing this information to enable you to understand the water conditions for your intended new hobby. I have set out a table below - [I couldn't figure out how to cut & paste the actual table from their e-mail, so I just copied the information manually] - which shows the correct details for your area from 2015 to 2017 from our water quality team, they have sent this to our media team as I am aware this is different to the information you were given from our website.

Year 2015
Water Quality Zone S110 Easington South Zone
110 (mg/l Ca)
Description Hard water

Year 2016
Water Quality Zone ZS111 New Winning and Peterlee Zone
190 (mg/l Ca)
Description Very hard water

Year 2017
Water Quality Zone S211 New Winning and Peterlee Zone
150 (mg/l Ca)
Description Very hard water

I hope the above information is useful, should you wish to discuss any of the details contained in this email or have any further points you would like to raise please contact me by...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, as of this point in time, I'm still thinking of either Rainbowfish or Cichlids and assuming things go according to plan, I hope to be in a position to get the project started in a couple of months.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Tank - cycle or use water additives?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 01:00:46 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post November 21, 2012, 11:22:34 AM
by Mervyn
1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2014, 05:01:48 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2014, 09:12:03 PM
by evan47
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2014, 10:10:07 AM
by aespp
5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2014, 10:07:34 PM
by fdm
107 Replies
Last post May 25, 2017, 09:59:35 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: