Bottom Feeder Required

Author Topic: Bottom feeder required  (Read 4944 times) 8 replies

Offline Cthulhu

• Fishy Contributor
  • Enthusiastic yet clueless
Bottom feeder required
« on: March 02, 2015, 07:19:16 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Looking for a bottom feeder to join my community tank, quite hard water, slightly alkaline, temp is around 26 C. I have a few plants, am getting more soon, but cannot find appropriate algae eating bottom feeder to assist in cleaning up. Ideally one to join other fish without upsetting them; Danio, dwarf gourami, several guppies, couple mollies, tetras, and few platies. 260L tank, well established water.

Sorry to be so picky, just trying to be as accurate as possible.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Bottom feeder required
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:30:32 PM »
In a tank that size, a bristlenose plec would work well. I think it is one of those plecs that like to graze on bogwood.

Offline Cthulhu

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »
Cool, thanks. I've read that bog wood can upset water for platies I think it said. And can be troublesome for cleaning up afterwards, never used it. Opinion?

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:23 PM »
The only reason I can think of for not going with platies is that it can lower the pH and hardness of the water and platies like it hard and alkaline. However, if your water is quite hard it should also have high KH which will resist changes in pH so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.
The profile on here for bristlenoses says they like to eat the micro-organsism that grow on bogwood, which is why the profile recommends there should be a piece of wood in the tank. It doesn't have to be a very big piece.

Not sure exactly how bogwood could be difficult for cleaning up, though did you mean the bristlenose? All plecs, and all algae eaters for that matter, do poo a lot. It goes with the diet I'm afraid.

Offline Cthulhu

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:48:37 PM »
Just something I read said that bog wood can produce large amounts of something which can affect pump etc, probably misinformed. I trust your judgement more so thank you.

Ps really appreciate everything you folks do for newbies like me, cheers.x

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:25 PM »
I have hard alkaline water and bogwood has very slight reduced my pH. I haven't noticed any difference in hardness. I did a lot of research when choosing my plant décor and the most obvious downside with bogwood is that it can stain the water when you first introduce it to the tank. You can get around this if its an issue by pre-soaking the bogwood, boiling it or adding carbon to your filter. Some people like the tea coloured water and many fish also prefer it. I would not worry about adding bogwood to your tank, provided its from a reputable source.

With regards to bottom dwellers/algae eaters, the bristlenose pleco is a fine choice. Peaceful, widely available and won't get too large. The clown pleco is another possibility if you are after one algae eating machine!

Alternatively you could get a shoal of Otocinclus or Pitbull Plecos (Paratocinclus jumbo), though the latter are difficult to find.

Due to the small size of my tank, I went with an army of Red Cherry Shrimp and some Nerite Snails. The shrimp keep my plants immaculate and my nerites are great at keeping my glass and bogwood clean.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:19:02 AM »
I have bogwood in two of my tanks without any problems; I have redmoor wood and mangrove root in the big one. Those two don't stain the water to any noticeable degree but I have no idea if they grow the micro-organisms that bristlenoses need. You can also buy mopani wood but I have no experience with that.

I have just bought a new piece of redmoor wood. The downside with this wood is that it needs soaking to get it to sink. This piece has been in a bucket of water for just over a week; it has just sunk and the water has the tiniest hint of brown - the bucket is white so the colour is easy to see.

I once tried to get some pitbull plecs but failed to find any. And otos don't stay on the bottom, if that is a requirement. If you do decide on otos, there are things to look for when buying them. Ask before going shopping  ;)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »
Good point on the Otos, was thinking more of their algae eating abilities! I'd love to get some Pitbull Plecos but haven't the room or seen them at any of my LFS.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline shivyDevon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 09:31:22 PM »
I have both a bristlenose plec (he's 10 years old now) and a clown plec in my tank. I have to say I have not seen either of them on the glass of the tank much at all since they were quite small so I think their algae eating abilities do reduce the older they get. Also you need to make sure they have other food other than just algae - algae wafers, blanched cucumber, courgette, broccoli stalk.

I have several pieces of bogwood in my tank and I live in a very soft water area and have had no problems whatsoever. However I don't have platys but it's the first time I have heard such a thing....

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bottom feeder required"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post February 24, 2015, 09:25:48 PM
by Cod_only_knows
6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 10:46:37 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 07:59:22 PM
by Mirage
3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 05:49:08 PM
by justin
2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2017, 07:34:53 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post August 04, 2017, 09:49:19 AM
by Redbelly
5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 09:30:04 PM
by MarquisMirage

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: