Author Topic: Bloodworm carry parasites?  (Read 6633 times) 11 replies

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Bloodworm carry parasites?
« on: August 17, 2016, 10:01:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
I belong to a betta site and keep reading that people betta fish have got all sorts of illnesses such as Ich ( sounds like itch may have spelt it wrong) and fin rot , etc.
Some people think they get these from bloodworms or live food , not sure if they only meant live food or frozen live food . And that the bloodworm carry a parasite that causes this? So far I've not fed moonbeam any live food , but was considering frozen bloodworm but now I'm concerned . Is this a bad idea ?
Ally

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Bloodworm carry parasites?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 10:36:25 PM »
Interesting that you've read this, Ally.

I fed my beloved goldfish frozen bloodworm, and, on one occasion, he became very gravely ill for approx a week to the point where many would have euthanised (although I didn't) and I put this down exclusively to the bloodworm and what must have been a bad batch. What I can't recall is how often I fed him on bloodworm prior to that; however, although he pulled through after I tried treating him with treatment for bacterial infection, I never fed him on bloodworm again, so severe had that reaction been.

I couldn't bring myself to feed the tropicals frozen foods until very recently ie more than 18 months down the line since getting them. I still feel uneasy doing so, but realise that they are needing more variety in their diet now, judging by seeing poo hanging from them more often. I feed them one block per week, and have been doing so since getting the frozen food ~5 weeks ago. So far, so good - touchwood.

What I do is put the frozen cube in a fishnet, pour an entire kettle of boiling water over it, in the hope that this kills off anything, then rinse it further for quite some time under the cold tap, before emptying the net into the tank.

It probably is quite rare that there is a problem but, because it was quite severe in my case (if indeed the bloodrworm was at fault), I'm extra cautious.

The frozen bloodworm is likely to be safer than the live bloodworm, however, as it has been treated with a view to killing off anything, so that might be the preferable option. Also, if you follow my extra cautious regime, that should hopefully reduce the chances of any problems even further. An alternative option, which I've tried too, is Tetra Delica food - they're gel-based.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 06:13:46 AM »
I have been feeding my dwarf puffers on live bloodworm since I had them. Apart from snails and live daphnia that is all they eat. I also feed the fish in my other tanks frozen bloodworms usually once every two weeks. So far so good.
A couple of months ago I bought a packet of frozen bloodworm cubes, a brand I'd used before, but when I defrosted them they didn't look or smell ( :sick: ) like they had previously. The fish were't keen either, so I threw them away.

I also belong to a caudata forum, which I joined when I got my axolotls. Live food is used when rearing axolotls because the movement stimulates them to feed when young. Very young ones are fed baby brine shrimp, then they move onto bloodworm until they are big enough for their main diet of earthworms, with a few bits of other stuff for variety. I haven't seen anything on the forum regarding parasites in bloodworm, but I'll have a look through the articles and old threads next time I'm on the forum and see if I can find anything useful.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 08:57:21 AM »
My understanding is that live food does have a degree of risk but that frozen food doesn't. The freezing process kills a lot of nasties (maybe not viruses), and the producers of frozen food sometimes irradiate it with gamma rays which would kill anything.

I've not had any problems with the fish catching anything. In the last few years, my main tank has had camallanus worms and import spot (nasty variant of whitespot); neither of these can have come from frozen food as I feed all three tanks from the same pot and the other two were unaffected on both occasions.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 10:13:33 PM »
Many of the sites have been from America and wonder if this is a problem only over there ?
I may contact a betta breeder and ask what he thinks . Is there any harm in only feeding dry flakes/ pellets to fish ? Especially if you have a variety of makes and Types ?
Ally

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 10:30:22 PM »
Fish food (flakes, pellets) is generally formulated to provide all the nutrients a fish requires. However, sometimes this should be supplemented with additional foods. Check the Fish Profiles section for your fish to see what is says they require. I have generally found that, as fish get older, they become more prone to constipation and require supplementation with other foods such as veg (mainly peas) and, as mentioned, I've recently started putting in a weekly cube of frozen food.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 08:41:21 AM »
You could always grow your own brine shrimps. They should be safe as you know exactly what they've been in contact with after hatching. There are kits easily available for hatching and growing brine shrimps. And baby brine shrimps are an excellent fry food, should you ever need any.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 08:10:04 PM »
Hi
Not keen on shrimps of any kind , so not wanting my own tank full . I do give him cooked peas once a week which he loves . How often would you give them as the fish gets older ? And how do you know if a fish is constipated ?
I've never seen moonbeam poo ! EVER ?
Allison

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 09:53:01 PM »
I do give him cooked peas once a week which he loves . How often would you give them as the fish gets older ? And how do you know if a fish is constipated ?
It sounds like all is good, the way things are. If you regularly start to see a 'string' hanging from him (eg 1cm or longer), then that's a sign of constipation. In that case, I would then increase the peas to twice a week. It may be that you find you have to feed peas every second day as he gets older but just monitor for the 'string' to decide how often. It may not happen, though - it was a frequent occurrence when I kept goldfish but I didn't notice it at all until very recently in my tropicals but I seem to have got the situation back in order with the current food regime. :)

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 12:13:42 AM »
Wow
I remember my goldfish as a child having this but thought it was normal . I don't feed moonbeam fish food on a Sunday (pea Sunday ) as I clean out the tank and it s one day without fish food added . Can all fish have peas then ?
Ally

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 08:46:26 AM »
I think most herbivores and omnivores can have peas, although presumably carnivores wouldn't be interested in them. It's very important to remove the shell and cut the two halves into tiny morsels for very small fish, though - it's horrible when a fish struggles and chokes.

Courgette, spinach, broccoli, etc, can often be eaten by fish. My goldfish used to go into a frenzy of excitement if he saw orange-coloured fruit and so enjoyed orange, melon, mango and papaya in his diet - the latter resulted in a rather explosive effect, though, so I only allowed him to have some if he was extremely constipated. I have since read that fruit should only be served as a treat about once per month, and I don't think it's actually needed or should be served to other fish.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »
The only problem you may have with frozen food is when it's not transported properly and it defrosts and is then refrozen. Some fish like endlers would still eat bloodworm in that state but bumble bee gobies for example would just spit them back out.

Live food can be contaminated by other life forms, I've found fresh water shrimp, mosquito larva and mayfly larvae at times but these things are almost inevitable as the live food is generally bred in large open tanks. One guy at my fav MA thinks live food is unhygienic and wouldn't dream of feeding it to his own fish.

Personally I'm a bit squeamish about live bloodworms, I have an aerated tank I keep live daphnia in and I'm in the process of ordering brine shrimp eggs to hatch for my croaking gourami fry. Shrimp is almost a bit of a misnomer as they look nothing like 'normal' shrimp. If you've ever heard of sea-monkeys which you buy in kit form in toy shops...they're brine shrimp.

Frozen food all the way for me, I almost exclusively feed my fish on a variety of frozen foods, obvious exceptions are my ottos which eat sinking catfish pellets and get the occasional bit of blanched courgette.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bloodworm carry parasites? "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2012, 10:31:37 PM
by Ironside
2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2015, 12:09:56 AM
by Leggoman
5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2019, 03:58:59 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post January 05, 2021, 11:25:34 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: