Author Topic: Biorb Life 45  (Read 11236 times) 12 replies

Offline buranda

• Fishy Contributor
Biorb Life 45
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:13:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Folks.
Thinking out a Biorb Life 45.
Any advise would be most welcome also any help on keeping cold water fish verses tropical.
Hope this is okay new to this site.

Buranda

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Biorb Life 45
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:50:45 PM »
Hi Buranda,

Welcome to the forum ... there are alot of people on here with a great amount of experience so you have come to the right place :)

I havn't any comments on the Biorb as I havn't had one before. A few things to think about ...

I bought a 55L aqua nano aquarium back in Oct 2012 and have already bought another 200L aquarium as I found the tropical fish I wanted to keep would outgrow and need a bigger tank than the 55L. So I would firstly say go for the biggest tank you can to begin with. A larger volume of water is more stable and would allow you a greater choice of fish to choose from. Secondly do not rush into it! I don't know if you have kept fish before but like keeping any pet do your research first :) I used the community creator on this website to plan which fish I wanted to keep and if they were compatable with eachother.

The main difference I see between my cold and tropical tanks is the cold water fish tend to produce more waste and require more frequent cleaning.

Daniel.

Offline Etienne

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:58 AM »
Hi Buranda,

I agree with Daniel, I bought my first tank back in April (Marina 60 tropical). I originally wanted the 45L version but I followed the "go for as big as you can" advice. I now wish I went for the 100L version. I'm very happy with my tank but I'm fairly restricted on the choice of fish and amount of fish I can stock.

I do know from a colleague that was used to keep cold water fish that some can grow to a fair size. You should look for the fish you want to keep and look for a matching tank. This will avoid disappointment further down the line.

The fish profile section of this site may help with the size required (although I'm not sure if cold water fish are well covered on this site).

Enjoy!

Etienne

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Gourami (2) - Neon Tetra (6) - Panda Cory (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Cardinal Tetra (3) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (1) - Platy (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 08:51:34 AM »
The problem with cold water fish is that there aren't any that would fit in a 45 litre tank. The only true cold water fish we can get in the UK are goldfish and even one needs a tank twice as big. For fancy goldfish, think of a rugby ball with fins - that is how big they grow. The problem is that sale of most cold water fish is banned as the fish can survive in our rivers and streams, and there is a risk they will take over from the native species.
You can keep temperate fish as long as you make sure the room never drops below 18oC on the coldest winter night. If the room is likely to get colder than that, you would need a heater set to 18 deg.

The Biorb Life is a tall, short tank which will reduce your fish choice even more. It only has a footprint of 38 x 26cm (15 x 10 inches). Zebra danios are the first temperate fish that spring to mind, but they need a much longer tank because they are such active swimmers. The profile on here says the minimum length is 60cm but people who have them in bigger tanks say they can cross a 4 foot tank in less than a second. White cloud mountain minnows also do better in a bigger tank than the Biorb Life 45.

As you can see, I agree with the previous posters that the Biorb Life 45 is not a very practical tank. If you want cold water fish, go for a minumum of a 100 litre standard rectangular tank and get one fancy goldfish (not a common or a comet as they need pond sized tanks, but one of those with a double tail). Or a 100 -ish litre tank and a heater (unless you keep your house very warm in winter) and get zerba/leopard danios and white cloud mountain minnows (they come in grey and gold so you could have a shoal of mixed colours)

And of course the Biorb Life tanks are more exprensive than a standard rectangular tank the same volume. If you get a 'normal' tank, you'd get a bigger volume for your money.

Offline buranda

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:33:40 PM »
Thank you all for your valuable information, I will all this in mind as I search the aquarium shops.
thank you once again.

Bas

Offline buranda

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »
Hello Folks,
I have just spoken to someone who says they have replaced the media in the biorb with stone and has had no problems.
Cleans the filter every 6 weeks and has not changed the carbon for 4 months.
Tank running perfect.
Any comments please.

Bas :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »
With the biobs of most types, the media is in two parts. The main biological filter is the rocks on the bottom of the tank. The cartridge contains carbon (and did I read somewhere it contains zeolite as well?) and something to catch the debris.

Because the bacteria live mainly on the rocks you can change the cartridge, if you don't mine spending money, because there won't be nearly as many bacteria in it as there in the rocks simply on the grounds of the size of the surface areas. You can also leave the cartridge there until it clogs so badly it won't clean properly as slows the water flow badly. The carbon will be used up, but that doesn't matter. If there are white granules mixed in with the black carbon ones (ie zeolite) that will get saturated too, which is a good thing as you don't actually want zeolite in a filter. Some popel break open the cartridge, empty the contents then chop up a filter sponge (any make) to fit tgightly inside the empty box.

The rough stones on the bottom of the tank, as I've said earlier, are the biological filter. If you remove those, you'll lose the home for the bacteria. You do need to keep those. The only alternative would be to use an internal or external filter - though an internal would spoil the looks of the tank, and the tubes to and from an external won't look too good either.

Offline buranda

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »
Thanyou for your reply,what puzzles me is the person has put ordinary tank stones in and removed the media, the system working correctly.
Them leaving in the carbon without changing it for 4 months and only cleans the sponge every 6 weeks would fall in line with your reply.
This biorb situation gets more complicated, the only reason I looked at the Biorb is because of lack of room. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »
When you say ordinary tank stones, do you mean gravel?
There is a somewhat old fashioned filter type (you do still find tanks with them) called under gravel filters or UGF. These have a plastic plate with slits in which goes on the bottom of the tank. There is a rim round the plastic so it is raised up a bit. Gravel is placed on the plate. There is a tube attached in one corner and you use a powerhead nowadays to suck water up the tube, which has the effect of sucking water down through the gravel. When they were first invented, an airline tube was used to move the water. In this type of filter, the gravel is the biological medium. The filters in the biorbs of all shapes use this principle, though they have chosen coarse rocks instead of gravel.
If you friend's tank still has water flowing through the gravel, I suppose that could work like a classical UGF. Though not being familiar with the exact layout at the bottom, I couldn't say for sure. I'm not sure if the water would flow though gravel as well as through the rocks. But if he is still using an old cartridge, it is possible that has enough bacteria in to support his fish. In this case, the danger would come if he ever changed the cartridge.

Offline buranda

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 01:18:36 PM »
Hi Sue.
No not gravel just smooth white stones.

Bas

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
They would act the same way as the proper stones/rocks that come with the biorbs, just not as efficently because smooth stones don't have a much surface area as rough stones, so less surface for bacteria to grow on.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 04:25:21 PM »
It would depend, ultimately, on the type of stone.  Some naturally occurring rock is porous. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be as good as the ceramics that were probably in there in the first place, but it should still do the job.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline buranda

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 08:10:49 PM »
Thank you Steve.

Bas :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Biorb Life 45"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post September 17, 2014, 08:40:00 PM
by fishcake76
2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2015, 12:09:56 AM
by Leggoman
16 Replies
Last post September 25, 2015, 07:02:23 PM
by Alex_N
6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2015, 04:50:10 PM
by Diz1
19 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 06:11:39 PM
by Littlefish
12 Replies
Last post February 24, 2017, 10:44:50 AM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2020, 03:36:36 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: