Betta Tank Issue

Author Topic: Betta Tank Issue  (Read 3650 times) 6 replies

Offline Gabriel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Betta Tank Issue
« on: September 15, 2016, 01:31:01 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So ever since I got my bigger tank I caught some MTS. I have a small RCS tank now, and then my GF also wanted a Betta.

We just put the Betta in the tank a few days ago after letting the water balance out, and adding some mature bio-media.

Now....I am having an interesting problem.

The pH is ridiculous! After seeing a dull-white glaze over the Betta's left eye it had me worried, I know it could be any number of things but I think it is a fungal/bacterial infection because he did not have that when we purchased him so I would think that rules out scarring or blindness.

I tested the water immediately and it was all fine except the pH was a whopping 8.4. I have absolutely no idea how this could have happened, I tested all of my other tank water and even my tap water and it was the same 7.4-7.6. The Betta tank has the same sand as the other tanks, and only has a rock and a couple very small shells in there along with MTS and another type of snail I forgot about.

Today he wasn't even interested in his mirror session, which he normally gets very active for, and was rather lackluster about eating. I am doing partial water changes but don't want to do anything large to drop the pH, I figured 20% every day for the next week or so.

Any advice on the pH and the eye issues?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (5) - Peacock Goby (5) - Panda Cory (5) - Guppy (female) (1) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Zebra Danio (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Giant Danio (4) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Japonica Shrimp (50) - Three Spot Gourami (2) - Neon Tetra (10) - Silver Hatchetfish (4) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Snakeskin Gourami (1) - Serpae Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Betta Tank Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 01:45:05 PM »
What is the rock made of? If it is calcium carbonate of some form (eg limestone) both that and the shells will raise the GH, KH and pH. I would take both of them out and do small water changes every day for the next couple of days as you suggest and see if that reduces the pH. The reason for taking it slowly is that if the rock & shells are responsible the GH will be raised and that is more important than pH; you will need to drop that slowly.

Lots of water changes should help with the eye too. If it is a fungus (which despite the name is usually bacterial) it should affect more then his eye.

Do you know if your betta is a dragonscale? These are a type of betta where the scaling is thicker than usual, and this can cause a particular problem. It is the reason I won't buy another dragonscale. This thickening can grow over their eyes. I had a dragonscale that was virtually blind because of this, just a tiny bit in the centre of one eye was clear. But it sounds rather fast for even a dragonscale.

If you do decide his eye needs medication, I recommend avoiding those that end in -fix (melafix, pimafix, bettafix). The ingredients can interfere with the labyrinth organ and caution should be used with bettas and gouramis.

Offline Gabriel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »
What is the rock made of? If it is calcium carbonate of some form (eg limestone) both that and the shells will raise the GH, KH and pH. I would take both of them out and do small water changes every day for the next couple of days as you suggest and see if that reduces the pH. The reason for taking it slowly is that if the rock & shells are responsible the GH will be raised and that is more important than pH; you will need to drop that slowly.

Lots of water changes should help with the eye too. If it is a fungus (which despite the name is usually bacterial) it should affect more then his eye.

Do you know if your betta is a dragonscale? These are a type of betta where the scaling is thicker than usual, and this can cause a particular problem. It is the reason I won't buy another dragonscale. This thickening can grow over their eyes. I had a dragonscale that was virtually blind because of this, just a tiny bit in the centre of one eye was clear. But it sounds rather fast for even a dragonscale.

If you do decide his eye needs medication, I recommend avoiding those that end in -fix (melafix, pimafix, bettafix). The ingredients can interfere with the labyrinth organ and caution should be used with bettas and gouramis.

I couldn't actually tell you what it is made of, but like I said it is the same rocks and shells I have in my other tank. Heck there is the same amount of the same exact stuff in the shrimp tank which is 1/6 the size and it's pH is normal. Nevertheless I'll give it a try, so I'll remove those tonight when I do the next water change.

Also....I'll have to look at my treatment. I don't think it has any of that stuff in it though.

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (5) - Peacock Goby (5) - Panda Cory (5) - Guppy (female) (1) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Zebra Danio (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Giant Danio (4) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Japonica Shrimp (50) - Three Spot Gourami (2) - Neon Tetra (10) - Silver Hatchetfish (4) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Snakeskin Gourami (1) - Serpae Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Gabriel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 01:13:51 AM »
@Sue So he is a Halfmoon Double Tail Plakat

and the medicine I am using is
Microbe-Lift Herbal actives, Artemiss.

I have been using it in my 55G for about a week to help clear out a minor case of mouth fungus and fin rot, after just 2 days in the betta tank his eyes appear normal again. I am going to continue dosing for an addition 2 days.

As for the pH/hardness issue it seems to of dissapeared now. I never actually got around to taking out the rocks or shells either. Maybe I just had a wonky test?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 08:55:41 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I like plakats, they are my favourite tail type but they are not common in shops.

That medication is not one I know, but as you are in the US and I'm in the UK, that's not surprising. If it works, carry on using it  :)

Wonky tests are indeed possible. Mis-counting drops, leaving strips for less or more time to 'develop', using a dirty tube etc can all affect readings.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
We'd love to see some pictures.  :)

Offline Gabriel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »
@Sue
Indeed he is very nice looking, and was one of two at the store. A little pricey but worth it I think.

And yeah I was searching for a bacterial treatment medicine without copper, and the fish store recommended that one to me as it is the one they use. Plus I don't think it negatively affects bacterial colonies at least too much.

@Littlefish

Haha yes! I'll have a thread up soon with pictures of all 3 of my tanks plus all the fish and such we have gathered. Only thing we have to do first is re-plant the betta tank as the DHG did not do too well

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Betta Tank Issue"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 05:28:49 PM
by Diz1
12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 06:45:31 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 10:07:31 AM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 08:01:39 PM
by Aquamaid
2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 09:17:46 AM
by Alex_N
0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 04:25:20 PM
by Alex_N
2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2016, 09:55:04 PM
by AdyDnt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: