Best Tank

Author Topic: Best tank  (Read 3390 times) 3 replies

Offline SueH

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Best tank
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, I would like to get a 20-30 litre tank and keep shrimps, snails and micro crabs. I have been looking on the internet at tanks and reviews and cannot seem to find my ideal tank. I want a tank where parts are easy to obtain, my daughter who works in a pet shop recommended Jewel or Fluval as the best makes but could not find any small Jewel tanks. We had settled on the Fluvel edge but have read some bad reviews about fish being caught in the pump attachment. Can anyone please advise me on a good starter tank

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Best tank
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »
The Edge can also be hard to clean because of the small opening.
And Juwel don't make small tanks.

Aqua One make a range of small tanks, though I would advise a tank with a full cover if you want shrimps etc as they can be escape artists and some of the Aqua One tanks don't have complete cover eg my Aqua Space.
Aquael make a shrimp tank.
Eheim Aquastyle - their website even says they are suitable for shrimps etc as "It is not suitable for fish, because they need more room to swim in". I have a larger Eheim tank and I'm pleased with the build.
Or even something like a basic Clearseal tank - although you'd need to buy lights, filter and heater.

The Maidenhead Aquatics branches near me usually have several small tanks to choose from. Just be sure to choose one with a tight fitting lid.

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 07:44:03 PM »
Edit: Sue posted whilst I wrote this and it didn't actually post before I went out so sorry if it's now not relevant!

Hi I can tell you about the Fluval Edge but I can't really advise on whether it would be good in micro crabs - what kind of conditions do they need to thrive? Do they breathe air and need land?

I have an Edge and love it but it does have it's downsides. However if you're worried about the pump attachment don't be. I was concerned about that but I got myself a pre-filter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hagen-A1387-Fluval-Pre-Filter-Sponge/dp/B002LL32RY) and I've never had any problems. It does fall off during water changes so you just need to make sure that you've put it back on before you turn the tank back on again. I can't say whether that is an actual issue without a pre-filter though but for the sake of £3 I got one to be on the safe side!

The main downsides with the edge are that it has quite a small hole at the top which makes maintenance a little trickier. I manage fine with mine but it can be hard work at times, and aquascaping is hard with it!

It is a very nice tank but it needs to be filled to the top really to look it's best - hence my question about air breathing etc. I think it would look less good with a 'gap' at the top. I always get evaporation loss of water and it always annoys me in between water changes when I get the big air gaps at the top!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SueH

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »
Thank you Sue I will look at all the makes you recommended :D
And thank you Jesnon after what you have said about the edge I think I will still keep this tank in mind if I do not find another I like  :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Best tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2014, 08:03:21 AM
by ColinB
New tank

Started by Rich_D « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

28 Replies
Last post August 09, 2014, 01:10:20 AM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 04:02:54 PM
by Diz1
6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2014, 07:27:17 PM
by Billy
8 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 11:40:45 AM
by Aquamaid
1 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 12:11:07 PM
by aga666

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: