Author Topic: Best filter for 70 Litre tank  (Read 14440 times) 9 replies

Offline justin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Best filter for 70 Litre tank
« on: June 11, 2015, 09:09:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all.
I set up a tank a little while ago and it came with a basic undergravel filter and an air pump.
It seems to be doing ok. Ammonia is never over 0.25 and nitrite is normally 0. Nitrate is around 10/20.

I do feel very limited by having this kind of filter though, example id like to have bottom feeder fish but this kind of filter will cause those problems. (due to having to have medium/coarse gravel and not sand or even fine gravel which most bottom feeders like), I`d like to have real plants but cannot due to the filter. I just hear quite a lot of negatives about this kind of filter. I also dread the day when I have to break down the whole tank just to clean out the crap that will inevitably gather under it. Kinda wish I did more research and declined the shop assistant when he offered to `throw it in for free` !

Just feel quite limited by having this kind of filter.

Im not asking for anyone to justify having this kind of filter, just want to know what would be the best for this size of tank. You know all round rather than bio cleaner which it sounds like it is. Just cant decide on the other types...Internal corner, canister, bio wheel etc.
Have Cherry 6 Barbs in atm, will get some Platys and Honey Gouramis in time.
Please advise a newbie fishkeeper like myself.

60cm
70 litre
communal, peaceful fish
artificial plants

Thanks

Offline m6rrd

• Fishy Contributor
  • Cichlids forever!
Re: Best filter for 70 Litre tank
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:49:19 PM »
Hi Justin,

Offline justin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 10:00:33 PM »
Hi m6rrd  :)

Offline m6rrd

• Fishy Contributor
  • Cichlids forever!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:27:36 PM »
Hi Justin, well you werent looking for anyone to justify that kind of filter but I'm going to  ;) there is absolutely nothing wrong with undergravel filtration, yes there are different types of system that may work better BUT there are also systems that work a lot worse. I kept corys, khuli loaches, clown loaches and gobies all with absolutely no problems at all with an undergravel filter! if you have filter plates and 2 inches of gravel over it then I assure you that water quality will not be a problem as long as stocking levels are adhered to! I find it unbelievable that U/G gets such bad press these days! without it NONE of us would be keeping fish. I ran loads of freshwater tanks and three marine tanks on it. My uncle who wrote for PFK used U/G in nearly all his tanks and he had in excess of 50 at one time breeding fish that you'd find it hard to believe even now. yes true some tanks had supplement filters but not many. I would advise rather than ripping out the system, supplement it with somethng else. a nice Eheim external (the classic model is awesome and time tested), or if you'd rather Hagen then Fluval are also excellent! I've got a fluval 103 thats been on this tank for nearly 20 years! never even had a new impeller, just 1 new seal! the other route is as you mention internal, there are some excellent models out there by those two previously manufacturers and plenty of others. All design of filters do the same thing, they convert Ammonia (bad) to Nitrite (less bad but still bad) to Nitrate (least bad), most filters are efficient in their own way, its more to do with the media and operation than WHAT kind of filter it is. If you go down the power filter route then you need to aim to cycle all the water in your tank (and this is going to cause arguements) 3 to 4 times an hour so look at the LPH figure on the box and make sure it can achieve that. I personally prefer external canister filters because I like the uncluttered look for the tank but its certainly nothing to do with the quality of internal filters, they can do an excellent job. have a look at my signature to see what I'm running on my setup. Plants arent over enamoured with U/G filtration its true but a planted tank is still easily possible, back to stories of my uncle's experience,  remmember tamks dark with plants, like a rainforrest where he bred fighters, gouramis and other labarynths, hundreds of baby corys everywhere. Technology isnt always the answer, despite all the advertising hype and buzz words, attention to detail and care is. Sorry if this sounds like a rant.......... its not meant to be, but this expensive technology and people pushing it as better, more efficient, the best and poo pooing EVERYTHING that came before it just pushes the hobby from the masses to the selct few that can afford it. I fundamentally think that is wrong, the less people interested in the hobby pushes prices even higher, its a viscious circle. The fish need care and proper management not money thrown at them.   

Offline m6rrd

• Fishy Contributor
  • Cichlids forever!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:34:22 PM »
LOL! :wave: just read that post ................. god I sound sinister! so, so sorry. tell me what model of filter or type or whats going round in your head and I'll try to offer some specific advice Justin. I'm not mad honestly  ;)

Offline justin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 10:43:34 PM »
haha no probs. Good to hear your passionate about this hobby. Its growing on me and the more info I get on it then all the better. A lot to digest there.
Guess I feel a bit tied with the UGF and want to change before I fill up my tank and then change it. I don't want to chuck loads of money at it just something a bit more all rounder than just the one benefit..which it seems UGF has. Should have thought it all through before I got the tank  :(

Offline m6rrd

• Fishy Contributor
  • Cichlids forever!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 11:02:57 PM »
if you are absolutely sure you want to do away with the UG then just pull the stack pipes out and just forget its there OR buy a powerhead or 2 (depending on the number of uplifts) capable of reverse flow and variable output turned right down and have a very slow reverse flow system, your plants will love that, the more detritus that gets trapped UNDER your plate that the plants roots can find will be awesome! it will have to be real slow flow though to work. let me know what your edging towards when you've had a think and we can do some fact finding on various filters together. That eheim 2227 wet/dry breathing filter of mine is an ammonia and nitrate EATER but its now disontinued (although you can still buy all the parts) people complain about them being fiddly but I've never once had a problem! the standard Eheim I'm running is also very quiet and a good performer and if I remember correctly, not expensive. If there is anything I can help with then give me a shout. Cheers ears, Rich  :)

Offline justin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:47:42 AM »
So can anyone recommend a good filter for a 70 Litre communal tank.
Thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 11:33:35 AM »
Depending on how much you want to pay -

Expensive:
Eheim Aquaball 130
Eheim Biopower 160
Fluval U2 (but replace the poly carbon pads with filter wool)

Cheaper:
Aquamanta IFX100 (Maidenhead aquatics own brand)
Aqua-Internal 100 (Maidenhead Aquatics own brand)
With these two, replace any carbon granules or carbon impregnated sponge with plain sponge.

Other people will have their favourites too.

Offline justin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 07:24:11 PM »
Ok, thanks Sue.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Best filter for 70 Litre tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
by Kirstos
1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 04:27:45 PM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
by Tim_b65
9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 12:39:05 PM
by Fiona
22 Replies
Last post February 05, 2015, 10:43:25 AM
by bferg4
169 Replies
Last post February 17, 2020, 07:58:15 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: