Barbs?

Author Topic: Barbs?  (Read 3855 times) 8 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Barbs?
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I think i might become a "Barb ie" girl, ive seen Odessa, Neon Rosy and Rosy Barbs in MA shop, guys wasnt sure which were which,  but all lovely, also Green Tigers,  any thoughts or advice on an all male barb tank, if acclimatised to my hard water, how do they get on with  Cory's and Penguin Tetras, (determined to get Penguins in one of my tanks lol) or Zebra Danios. they also had what were labeled, Orange Barbs, but they look more like Snake Skins or are they similar? Ooh and aren't Kribs beautiful too.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Barbs?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »
Tiger barbs have a reputation of being aggressive but i've never kept them so can't confirm this. Five band barbs look similar but are more peaceful.

Have you seen any Rams yet, they are beautiful!!

We're spoilt for choice!!!!

FC76

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 02:51:31 PM »
Why an all-male tank? Barbs don't breed like livebearers and all males would definitely spend most of their time chasing each other with the weaker ones getting beaten up.

Odessa and Five banded are pretty peaceful, as are Cherries. Tigers are more feisty, 6 is the absolute minimum group size, better more. I have Ruby (aka Black Ruby) barns which are pretty lively but males and females look completely different so that you have two "looks" for the price of one in a mixed group. Rosy and Golden barbs like cooler tanks, good to go with Zebras or White clouds etc.

Barbs are generally tough and hardy fish, not subject to many diseases and mainly tolerant of a wide range of water conditions.

Never heard of Snakeskin barbs, what on earth are they???

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 03:01:37 PM »
 Thanks Richard,
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/desmopuntius-rhomboocellatus/ these are the snakeskins : )
i wouldn't mind male and female, just as a newbie not sure what happens with fry, can't keep em if too many?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »
This Snake Skin barb is called the Rhomboid barb on this site, Orange barb by most fish shops, so it is the same fish. That's why I prefer Latin names, until some clever clogs decides the name is wrong and renames it. This barb is more sensitive than others to water conditions and is generally reckoned to need higher temperatures.

Unless you have a VERY densely planted tank, I doubt if you would get any fry at all. The eggs usually get eaten immediately, both by the parents and every other fish in the tank. I have had my Ruby barbs in a very densely planted tank, with vast amounts of Java Moss, and only two babies have appeared in a year.

I do think all males would just be asking for trouble.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »
By the way, you may find Kribs beautiful, but they are probably the easiest of cichlids to breed and you might well end up with a lot of fry if you had them.

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 03:43:28 PM »
Ruby barbs are the main reason I'm setting up another tank. My 90l is too small but I think they are a stunning little fish and really do want some. I'm planning on at least 8 maybe 10  :fishy1:

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »
I agree that Ruby barbs are really nice, the males are so unusually dark red and almost black when they get settled in, pretty dull in the shop. The females are very much like Five-banded barbs. However, the males constantly struggle for dominance and chase the girls around. I like mine in my densely planted tank because it gives them the chance to get away from each other when it all gets too much. No damage ever done, though, and they are very robust fish, like most barbs.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
The tank in the shop had mix of lovely pastel colours peach, lemon, pink, blue and darker pink,  don't know which were which but they looked stunning together. Would prefer male/females if it makes for happier tank : ) Oooh was googling "harder water fish" when i came across this pic, it's a bit blurry, but wow. I have never considered Rainbow fish, the Boesemani in the Lfs always look too silvery and not very colourful, these are Blue and Banded Rainbow, ive a feeling they will be a bit big for my 4' tank that's if i can find or afford them lol .

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Barbs?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 05:39:28 PM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post July 20, 2015, 06:14:41 PM
by Extreme_One
9 Replies
Last post October 13, 2016, 04:41:33 PM
by Littlefish
28 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 10:25:16 AM
by Littlefish
12 Replies
Last post March 06, 2017, 07:04:43 AM
by Richard W
2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2018, 09:56:32 PM
by Bazza2000
6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2018, 12:16:46 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: