Barbs

Author Topic: Barbs  (Read 7327 times) 20 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Barbs
« on: April 21, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Colin,

I think you're the expert on barbs.  I had a look at them after you recommended them to someone, and thought them really pretty. I quite fancy either the golden or the chequered ones...what do you think?  Would they be ok with my fish?  In case you've forgotten, I have a colisa lalia, 4 male guppies, 2 otos and 4 million platies ;D ;D .  I had a look on the c.c. and it didn't throw up any concerns.  Of course, I still want my pandas too.  There will be 6 of them when I can get them.  The only issue I can really see is the temperature variation for them all.
My other thought was maybe having my pandas in with my betta if I changed his tank (23L) to a 42ish one.  The thing then would be that the pandas need good water and my betta likes slower water.  Or, would the barbs be alright with the betta?
Also, I was wondering if my male platy would get on with the betta, so that I could separate him from the girls, thereby stopping the baby boom, without having to try and take him back to the shop.

Anyway, I have cooked my brain puzzling over all this so I thought I'd cook yours :D

Thanks,

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

Re: Barbs
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »
P.S. Where is everyone today?

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
Colin hasn't been around for a few days, off having a holiday probably!  Sue is off for a couple of days at a funeral, so I guess you're stuck with yours truly!  (And I have just got back from the supermarket.) Bad luck.

OK, your questions.  Why are you concerned with temperature? As far as I can see from CC they will all happily accept 24oC, so why not choose that?

Barbs, and a lot of other fish, will probably eat your Platy fry; In the absence of Birth Control that's probably not a bad thing. ["Red in tooth and claw" remember!] Apart from that both the ones you mention would appear to be OK although the Golden Barb is probably a little large for your tank(s). [I can't remember the size or number of your tanks just that it(they) are quite small]

As for your Betta.  I know nothing about these apart from what I have read of Sue's posts on this and the previous forum.  To be honest I find them quite distasteful!  But, it is hard to quantify their response to tankmates, it's potluck.  One fish's ideal tank mates would cause another to go mental.  The corys would be fine, they don't really care who they share a tank with, but with the Betta I am afraid it's a matter of suck it and see!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
Evening Steve,

I knew Sue had to leave for her father-in-laws funeral, but wondered where everyone else was.  It's been very quiet on the forum for a few days, hasn't it?

Anyway, I don't see it as 'stuck with you', I appreciate you helping with my questions.
I was a little concerned about the temperatures as 24 is the minimum for one and the maximum for another.....not much room for fluctuation.  My tank is 60L and quite well planted.  I do appear to have less fry than the other evening, so they are all either hiding or have become snacks...not sure how I feel about that.

What don't you like about bettas?  Is it because they are showy?  Or because they have been altered somewhat from their natural form?  I understand both of these points.

I guess I still have a while to think it over as I can't get my pandas until my tank is a little more mature.  I really don't want them to have any kind of problem with nitrate levels, and mine seems to be on the high side most of the time.
I'll probably go window shopping this week to see if I can find any of the barbs in the flesh.

Thanks for your help,

Resa

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »
It has been quiet recently hasn't it? Sometimes it feels like there's only a few members ha! Glad to hear you're considering some new little fishies Resa! My little endlers are coming along great, their colours have really brightened up recently. I'm really keen to get my shrimp ASAP now!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline SteveS

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »
Remember that the temperatures are a guide only.  In the wild, they don't have the luxury of thermostat control and would have to tolerate some variation.  So, no, I don't see it as a problem having some at their maximum guide setting and some at their minimum.  You would have to pay a little bit more attention to the variations you do get though.

I don't like Bettas much a tiny little bit because they are flash, but mostly, we seem to have, generally, a downer on people who sell hybrids like the Parrot Cichlid.  I do too.  But we don't seem to care that the betta has been selectively bred to the point at which it is barely able to cope as a fish.

Good luck with your "window"shopping.  (I wonder what you'll bring home?/ :))  If you don't see any Barbs, you're in the wrong shop!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
Hi Jesnon,

I thought you had disappeared for the weekend too :D
Yes, I feel the need for some fishy shopping....and part of the fun for me is the planning and looking at what the different shops have....plus, hopefully then, I don't rush in to an impulse buy.......like I did with Rafe, my betta.

I'm glad you're fishies are doing well, their colours do improve as they settle in, don't they?  When are you getting your shrimpies? :D

Resa

Offline Resa

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 12:04:08 AM »
Hi Steve,

Good point about the conditions in the wild, hopefully my fish would cope with any slight fluctuation then. 
I take your point about the messing about with the bettas.  I didn't intend to get one but bought on impulse after seeing them lined up in their jam jars in the shop.  It seemed so wrong to see them contained that way but I know that people like me buying them doesn't help matters, if there were no market, there would be no breeding of them like that.

What makes you think that I won't be able to just go 'window' shopping? ;)  Actually, you are probably right, it will be very difficult. :D  Are the barbs generally available in most shops then?  I suppose it will be the same here.

I have just noticed in your signing off that you have some otos, have you had them long?  Did you lose any?  I love mine.  I did start off with 3 but have only got 2 now.  They have grown loads since I got them and are quite plump now.

Have a good Monday!

Resa

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 12:06:50 AM »
Summer must really be here now.  As I sit typing, the nightingales are singing in the garden......they sing all night long....all summer!

Offline SteveS

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 01:00:40 AM »
I have had my otos for about 2 years.  I started off with 6, 2 died quite quickly and I lost 2 when I had the conflagration in my tank when I was ill.  But the remaining 2 are fat and sassy, but I don't have a shortage of algae unfortunately.  I do plan on getting some more to make up the shoal next time I go shopping.  Current plans are for next week sometime but I have just ordered a new camera on eBay, so I may be waiting in for it to be delivered next week.

If I get the chance I want some otos, some shrimps and some Emerald Rasboras, a trip to Bethnal Green is definitely on the cards.

Barbs in general are widely available.  The ones you are looking for are rarer.  The Checker Barb  Puntius oligolepis seems OK.  I don't know where you live so I can't give you any pointers.  The Golden Barb seems to have two latin names Barbus(Puntius) pallidus and Puntius semifasciolatus var.  Now these are rarer.  I could only find a few shops that  have these.  It may be that they are both the same fish.  These things tend to get revised often.  But they may be two different fish with the same common name.  As ever... research before you go shopping!!

We only get Crows singing round here.  I have often wished for a nice shotgun when the damn things start-up outside my bedroom window at 3AM.  Nightingales I could live with.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 07:50:41 AM »
Hello Resa....

I don't really get on the forum much at all over the weekend so I'll give you my barb observations.....

My tank's a 55litre, 40cm cube with 9x five-band barbs (4m:5f); 6x cherry barbs (3m:3f); 2x male guppies and 1x male platy.

The five-band barbs are lovely. They're really peaceful and stay mainly in the bottom half of the tank, snuffling nose-down in the Cryps, hanging out under the Anubias and swimming in-and-out of Dave the Dinosaur. The have the odd half-hearted chase of each other. When I had 5 they stuck close and stayed in the plants, I added the other four and now they're much more visible and confident.

The cherry barbs are very different. The males are beautiful deep red and keep flaring their fins and 'dancing' at each other and the barbie girls, but they have their own place each in the tank, which tends to be at the back-middle, next to a plant or the bogwood. The three barbie girls form a little group and go around together.

However; my male platy swims with the barbie girls and chases off any male cherry barb and all the five-band barbs. He leaves the guppies alone. (Though one of the guppies follows the platy everywhere, nudging and nosing him. It's very 'odd' ???)

Golden and/or checkered barbs get a little bit bigger, but are definitely for a 'cooler' tank. Cherries are OK down to 22oC, and the five-bands didn't seem to mind either. I also think, from the little I've seen of golden and/or checkered, that they're more active than the cherries or five-bands and spend more time in the middle of the tank and might scare your Colista.

Your Colista likes a quiet life in the top half of your tank, so six five-band barbs would be a great addition in my humble opionion. Also, if you go down the route of a Betta, the five-bands would (probably) leave it alone completely and keep well out of the way.

We've got sheep and lambs in the field opposite...... they bleat all night long. It's quite cute really and far, far better than singing neighbours or crows.

EDIT: on a quick re-read I see you said singing nightingales, not neighbours! That makes more sense ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
I'm normally about on the forum most days unless I'm at work, keeping on eye on things hehe. Yeah they really do brighten up, they've all get their individual colours. My Japanese blues have developed an almost pinky hint on their fins and tales and my 'green endlers' have really come into their own, one has a gorgeous variety of colours on his belly and one has a great streak of blue over him. I fed them some brine shrimp earlier - seemed to go down a treat!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »
Hi Steve,

I'm wondering if I should increase my number of otos, I believe they like to be in a bigger group, don't they?  Only thing is, because my tank is quite new I don't have any algae particularly.  I supplement their food with algae sinking wafers and little bits of nuked veggies. 
How exciting!  What a lovely long shopping list you have got :)  A new camera as well...is it your birthday? :D  What camera have you gone for?  I enjoy photography, although you wouldn't think it, looking at my fishy pics on the gallery!  I'm better with larger wildlife and birds and luckily I have quite a lot of both here.  I live in France, by the way.

Is Bethnal Green the best place for fish shops near you?  My dad was born there.

You say you could live with nightingales, but trust me, if you have to have your windows open through the night in the summer, they drive you crazy :)  I mean it when I say they sing ALL night long!!!  Fortunately, I have got air conditioning in my bedroom now, so I can enjoy their singing in the evening....then close the windows and get some sleep!

Don't forget to post when you get your new crew :D

Resa

Offline Resa

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
Hi Colin,

Now, I believe Jesnon and I have had to have words with you and Sue before about both being absent from the forum at the same time ;D ;D ;D 

Hope you had a good weekend though, have you finished your tiling?

The character of the little five-band barbs sounds lovely but I admit I had shied away from them because.....now, I know this sounds a little crazy but, I hate the colour orange!  Having said that, I don't want Flockhart, my colisa, to be spooked by any newcomers, so I have taken on board what you said about the golden and checkered barbs.  I'll have to have a look at them in the flesh.  Thanks for your help with that.
If I decided on some five-bands, how many would you recommend?  Should I get a mixed group or stick to one sex......I take it I wouldn't get the same problem with them as I have with my platies....the hussies ;D
Also, would they be ok when I get my pandas or would it be too busy at the bottom of my tank?

It's funny...that's what my bully-boy guppy does to the others.  He's always nosing and nudging them....one in particular.  He doesn't do it to the one that is the same colour as he is though....very odd ???
Oops...I have just noticed that you had already told me to get six five-bands, so ignore my first question :)

I have already got a betta but I was wondering about putting my male platy in with him to try and stem all these fry ;D  I would feel mean to take him away from his girls, but really, they have SO many babies!

How lovely to have sheep and their lambs so close to you, I bet they're adorable.  Can you still enjoy roast lamb though? ;)
I did wonder where the singing neighbours had come from...perhaps you enjoyed your weekend a little too much ;D

Resa

Offline ColinB

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »
 ;D

A good weekend thanks. The weather was good enough to get out in the garden Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon was band reheasal - so a very good time, really. I've finished the tiling and I'm half-way through grouting now. It'll be all done by the end of the week.... then it's load-in time!

mmmm - hating the colour orange could make life a bit tricky in choosing tank-mates. As egg layers barbs are much less likely to breed - they only seem to do this if conditions are spot on in terms of pH, temp change etc etc. You might be right about a too busy bottom-end of your tank with barbs and panda's... but a lot of barbs like the bottom half of the tank, and the ones that don't could be a bit too boisterous for Flockhart. Tough call. It's also worth noting that it's a feeding frenzy every time I feed the barbs so your Pandas and Flockhart could have difficulty coping and miss out on their nosh unless you develop a feeding strategy to avoid this.

I'd be more tempted by a bigger bunch of Otos and more Pandas. Now I've got 9 five-band barbs I'm a convert to having more of the same species, and less different types of species. I think they're more relaxed. However; you also want them to have enough 'elbow room' - or whatever they have for elbows. :)

The lambs are soooooo cute. Before them the farmer had goats in the field and they had kids, and they were lovely. MrsB and I would lean on the gate watching them do their goaty thing for a while each time we walked into the village. (Doesn't stop the roast lamb though!)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 05:48:30 PM »
Hi Colin,

That sounds a lovely weekend...band rehearsal eh?  Rock, glam, brass or rubber?
Did you get your pond sorted out as the weather was good?
What a great farmer you have...just having lovely things in his field.  When we still lived in the UK, we were out in the sticks, but the fields surrounding us just had boring crops in.  The best we ever got was a field of flax, which was really pretty and as you know I have a thing about colours, so the flax was good being a beautiful bluey/lavender.

You've convinced me!  No barbs, but more otos and pandas :D :D :D  Now, I just have to wait (still) until I can get them......I've been SO patient!

Resa

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »
Good choice!

The pond pump went in and it now doing it's best to clean and filter it all out after winter. The water's a bit green, but hopefully the UV part of the filter will clear that up over the next few weeks.

The band is this.... Misbehavin' ... with me on bass guitar.

Be patient.... it's worth it in the end for happy fish. 8)

Offline SteveS

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 06:16:33 PM »
Otos should be in groups of about 6 or so, but they do require a mature tank, so try and wait til your 6 months is up.

Bethnal Green is the home of what is, by reputation, one of the best shops on the planet apparently, Wholesale Tropicals.  Crews Hill in Enfield is the best place as it has loads of shops within walking distance of each other and it's only 5 minutes away on the train.

I have an even longer longer shopping list, but I won't try and get them all.  I will check out the lie of the land so to speak and see what will fly... so to speak! :D

No, it's not my birthday, I just decided I deserved a treat so I found a Panasonic Lumix camera on ebay going "buy me, buy me" so I relented!

Offline Resa

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
Hi Steve,

Yes, I will definitely wait before getting more otos, I was so upset when one of mine died, so I want to give them their best chance, but I will bump the number up to 6 then.
I haven't discovered all the fish shops here yet, there could be an amazing one that I don't know about.  I have found a couple of reasonable ones, but I'll have to spread my net wider ( ;D) I think.

Everyone deserves a treat and that's a good camera, I have the older model Lumix that I used to keep in my bag and a little while ago I got the new full HD one with the 24x zoom, I have been really pleased with it.  I keep it with me as I always seem to see a good shot when I have left my camera at home, but you can't keep carrying a flipping great 35mm and all the lenses etc around with you.
Anyway, if something is demanding that you buy it...what else can you do ;D

Resa

Offline Resa

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »
Colin....

I had a listen and the band sounded really good.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Barbs"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 05:39:28 PM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post July 20, 2015, 06:14:41 PM
by Extreme_One
9 Replies
Last post October 13, 2016, 04:41:33 PM
by Littlefish
28 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 10:25:16 AM
by Littlefish
12 Replies
Last post March 06, 2017, 07:04:43 AM
by Richard W
2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2018, 09:56:32 PM
by Bazza2000
6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2018, 12:16:46 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: