Baby Platys

Author Topic: Baby Platys  (Read 6556 times) 20 replies

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
Baby Platys
« on: August 23, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

I am so excited, I have five baby platys born this afternoon.   I have managed to catch 3 and put them in a keep net, but the other two have managed to hide.   I think there could still be more to come, but what do I do now.  Will they be ok for a day or two or should I rush out and get some special food for them.

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Baby Platys
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
Hi Cinders,

Congratulations on the babies...but take it from me, the novelty WILL wear off :D Mine have had zillions...and now the babies have started as well :o
I didn't do anything special for mine, just crumbled up some normal flakes in to really tiny pieces and they have been fine. I didn't segregate mine either, after Sue saying I would be over run with the little cherubs if I did, I have just let nature take her course.
I have been lucky and been able to home them with my LFS (local fish shop for Ken's benefit ;) ) because otherwise I would have had a serious overstocking problem.

Obviously, the choice is yours....and I wish you luck with that decision ???

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:52:08 PM »
Congratulations Mum.   :D

Hey, I guessed LFS Resa - in my other hobby we refer to Local Model Shops as LMS.   ;)

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
Oops...sorry Ken :-[

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »
LOL - no worries.   ;D

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
Thanks Resa,  I know I shall probably get zillions eventually, but for the moment I am enjoying it.   They are amazing little replicas.   I shall probably let the others take a chance, they look like they are quite adept at avoiding trouble !

Thanks Dutchy.

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 09:10:44 PM »
Hi Cinders,

Yes...sorry to rain on your fireworks, that was a bit mean of me :-[
You will be amazed how many survive....mine just dart away from any bigger fish, they're really quite smart ;)

Anyway, enjoy the kids ;)

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »
Thanks Resa, I will.

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 09:40:40 PM »
Congrats! I know the exitement of babies, my two surviving baby rainbow fish are neon size now! :D Best of luck with your fry. I started mine on Liquifry and have now moved onto finely crushed flake food and a tiny bit of blood worm.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »
Thanks Daniel, I shall probably crush some ordinary food and give them.  It was exciting seeing the first ones.   Good luck with your rainbows.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 12:55:45 PM »
Baby livebearers are pretty big when they are born compared to egg laying fry. That's why platies etc can be fed on crushed flake. If you had baby egg layers you would need special food.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 01:22:41 PM »
MrsB and I have just noticed baby goldfish out in our pond and we're really excited about that - so I can understand the excitment of baby 'indoor fish'. Congratulations on your new arrivals.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »
Ah...congrats Mr. & Mrs. B. ;D

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 02:57:27 PM »
Thanks Sue,

Congratulations Colin on your baby goldfish.  How exciting for you.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 06:34:28 PM »
All these babies - there must be something in the air (water?).  Congrats all round.

Offline graygang

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 01:18:32 PM »
Just found a little baby platy too! Going my LFS to get a net box because my danios are savages!

Offline Leyther

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »
While we are on the subject of babies, I am a newby and my tank is only two weeks old but when the time comes and my fish have many babies which would make my tank overstocked I have heard someone mention that your LFS will take them off you but do you sell them or just give them away so that your tank is not overstocked.  Thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 04:02:57 PM »
You may be lucky and find a shop that will buy them - but they usually give you a credit note not cash. Others might take them without giving you anything. But the problem with livebearers is that they reproduce so easily that it costs very little for a shop to buy them from their wholesaler, and they know that they are (in theory) disease free while they don't know if a customer's tanks are disease free. That's why many shops won't take them from customers. And those that do won't take them till they are big enough, around the same size as the ones on sale in the shop, which means you will need somewhere to keep the fry till they grow.
There is always Ebay (collection only unless you want to invest in boxes, insulation and heat packs) or the website aquarist-classifieds to try to sell them privately. But again, you won't get much for them as they are cheap in shops.

It sounds very cruel, but the best thing to do about fry is nothing. You may get a few surviving if you have plants (real or synthetic) for them to hide in, but you don't have the problem of what to do with them if you can't sell/give them away.

Offline Resa

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 04:18:15 PM »
Hi Leyther,

All that Sue said :D

I have had baby platies coming out of my ears....well, not literally, that would be weird ;D. I haven't done anything about safeguarding them and plenty have survived....more than I could cope with in my tank. You may have read this elsewhere, as I have mentioned it before, but I have one of the three LFS I asked who are prepared to take the babies from me....not pay me or offer a credit note. I haven't minded that as I was just glad to find someone who wanted them. Of the other two, one wouldn't take them at all and the other only wanted them when they had reached selling size...which would have meant all female babies being pregnant and probably dropping all their babies in my tank, then the shop not taking those ones until they had grown and then they would be pregnant, and then......not much of a solution, I'm sure you would agree ???

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »
I had some baby platys born three weeks ago, and they are now swimming freely around with the older ones, who seem to be ignoring them, and yesterday I noticed three more extremely tiny ones, and they are swimming around quite happily, although doing a bit of hiding in the plants still.  So I am leaving them to take their chances now, and going away for a week tomorrow, so have to leave them to a neighbour (also a fish keeper) to keep an eye on them and feed them.   Will have to do something with them when I get back or I shall be overstocked !!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Baby Platys"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 02:51:22 PM
by Sue
Baby Platys

Started by Resa « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

31 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 02:40:16 PM
by Resa
4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:13:49 PM
by Jwc
4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 12:37:47 PM
by bferg4
2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 11:20:09 PM
by Fiona
27 Replies
Last post September 24, 2016, 09:52:09 PM
by fruitbat
0 Replies
Last post January 02, 2024, 06:52:47 PM
by [email protected]

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: