Baby Platys

Author Topic: Baby Platys  (Read 10301 times) 31 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Baby Platys
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 09:34:28 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
SQ no.477....
Ok...try and follow the strange workings of my brain, I'll try to explain what I mean.  I have 2 adult female platies and 1 adult male. Then, there were fry, but of such huge size difference it seemed logical to assume that 1 girl had given birth and then the other a day or two later. Final result, 10 babies with at least a centimetre difference between the largest and smallest.
Now, I know that they can pop out more every month (the adults) and can store sperm from any fun times they may have had before I got them ;) but it is nowhere near a month since the fry were born. So, I was watching all my fishies yesterday evening....you know Colin, 'relaxing' with my tank, when guess what?  Yep, you got it....4 little teeny tiny fry appeared and watched me right back ;D  These were obviously very new as they are so tiny and completely translucent with little black eyes.
So....here's the question......HOW?  No....not that bit...I know how for that bit.  ;D This sperm that they can store..can they stagger the fertilisation so that they can have babies quicker than monthly?  You know, sort of successive sowings (for the gardeners among you). Could one girl have fry of such big size difference that all the previous babies were hers and this new lot are from the 2nd girl?  Although, I doubt this theory myself, as both girls seemed equally fat and both 'squared off' at about the same time.
Any thoughts anyone?

I'm going to be up to my neck in platies soon :D
Happy Sunday!

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
Platies don't have that kind of fertilisation (though other livebearers do, they have eggs at all stages inside them and drop a couple of fry every day)

I'm at a loss to explain your babies  ;D All I can think is that one of them for some reason doesn't carry the eggs for as long as the other and drops smaller fry more frequently. But I've never actually heard of that, it's just a hypothesis that fits the facts  :-\

Offline Resa

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 11:18:53 AM »
Ok...thanks Sue.  Head scratching continues...... :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
Well...would you believe it????  Right in front of my eyes....the cheeky little platy just popped a baby out!!! :o
Then, casual as you like, swam over for some food ;D

Resa

Offline jesnon

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 02:02:59 PM »
Congrats on the new baby platys! Very mysterious...!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:38 AM »
How many babies?????  I've just counted 10 teeny tiny new babies........and that was without really trying, and she's STILL popping 'em out :o :o :o
I'm almost scared to go to bed.....goodness knows how many there will be in the morning ;D

Resa

Offline ColinB

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »
Congratulations...... of sorts. :)

Any ideas what you're going to do with them yet?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 08:04:07 AM »
Yep...told you, they're on their way to you in a jiffy bag ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
Haha looks like you'll be needing a new tank soon!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
Yep...told you, they're on their way to you in a jiffy bag ;D

;D I'll swap you for some shrimps!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »
Done!
 ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
Latest suggestion for my babies....(my son's) adding a form of whitebait to our menu :o

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Baby Platys"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 02:51:22 PM
by Sue
20 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 05:55:45 PM
by Resa
4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:13:49 PM
by Jwc
4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 12:37:47 PM
by bferg4
2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 11:20:09 PM
by Fiona
27 Replies
Last post September 24, 2016, 09:52:09 PM
by fruitbat
0 Replies
Last post January 02, 2024, 06:52:47 PM
by [email protected]

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: