Are They Posing And How To Change.

Author Topic: Are they posing and how to change.  (Read 9740 times) 18 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Are they posing and how to change.
« on: November 23, 2012, 05:46:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All,
I have now started stocking my tank, and have at the moment, ten Lemon Tetra and 6 Silver Tip Tetra and will be getting some platy later on today.

When the lights are off, they seem to utilise most of the bottom half of the tank, but when the tank lights are on they behave totally differently. They are low down, in one small corner of the tank. It is if they are looking at their reflections in the glass and they just stay there "posing". The Lemon Tetra are worse than the Silver Tips.

When the tank lights go off they then go about their business. I hasten to add that that end is where the "current" comes around to go down the length of the front of the tank.

When the lights are on, most of the tank is vacant of all fish.

Will this behavior change? or will I need to put some "background" paper down that side?

Seems trivial I know but the way the fish are acting, makes it a rather poor display of the fish.

I should add that they are not hiding away as they are doing it right in the front corner where there is nowhere they can really hide.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
Re: Are they posing and how to change.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 06:49:21 AM »
The fish, will still be aclimatising too there new environment. They will still be shy and adjusting. This is quite common, if it continues for more than one to two weeks then i would start to be concerned. In the dark there is less chance of being spotted by anything nasty so its safer to explore.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:12:33 AM »
Hi Don,
Thanks for that...although I must say that they are not hiding at all. They may of course think that their reflections are part of the "same shoal" and therefore just trying to stick together. If that makes sense. ???

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:38:45 AM »
Yes definetly. i have had a few male apistogrammas who see there reflection think its another male and go all defensive.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:19:35 AM »
Hi,
What I am really asking I suppose, is will this behaviour change?? Don't fancy seeing them stuffed in one little corner of a reasonable sized tank permanently :D

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »
Im sure it like you said when the lights are on they are tightly packed in to a corner not realy moving i would still say this is catious behaviour and there getting used to the light and suroundings as they grow with convidence inbthe new setting the light will be less of an issue and they will move like they do when its of.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »
Mervyn, can you remind us, do you have plants in the tank? Real or synthetic, how many, and if real how big are they? Any rocks or other decor?

If you have lots of places fish can hide in, they do come out more. Knowing there's somewhere to dash into seems to give fish more confidence out in the open.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »
Hi Sue,
I have real and synthetic plants. The real ones are, something beginning with E :P, they grow very fast and up to 100cm and I suppose they are about 40cm at the moment.

The I have quite a few silk plants the tallest  is about 40cm. I have 3 large rocks and a v large one with 3 large tunnels through it and one smaller rock. I have one coconut cave. I also have two largish pieces of bogwood.

They are not hiding. At the moment with the tank lights off they are in the middle of the tank bickering and chasing each other. It is just when the lights are on they go to the front left hand corner of the tank in a tight group.

Again they do not seem to be hiding. But they do get a strong reflection of themselves and am thinking that they assume their reflections are part of the shoal, if you understand me. They will not move from that spot whilst the lights are on. Even when I fed them this morning the only reaction was from the Silver Tips and boy did THEY go for their food. ;D

The Lemon Tetra  could not be bothered. They are very lively when the lights are off.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Fish do respond their reflections as Don said. That could well be part of it. The Danio tinwini I got on Saturday have only begun to come out properly in the last day or so. Different species behave differently, I'd wait a week or two before worrying.
I've also found that getting a completely diffferent kind of fish can change things for the ones already there. See if your proposed platies have any effect on the tetras. Even if they still hang out in the one corner, at least the platies will be all over everywhere.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »
Thanks Sue, will be getting the platies later on this afternoon. ;D

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 01:41:19 PM »
Well they must be getting used to me  ;D I just did a 15% water change and a bit of a gravel clean.

They did not hide away :P  they just moved to the back of the tank while I did the business.

Incidentally, the nitrate filter I am using seemed to take out all of the nitrate!! well according to my API Nitrate test it showed as 0ppm....considering I have tested my tap water as 40ppm.

I did have it filtering very slow mind, about an hour or more per bucket. ???

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »
If the water has zero nitrate, you might want to post in the planted section to ask about that. I'm not very good with plants but I'm sure I've read that with a very low nitrate you have to add it to feed the plants.

But don't quote me on that  ;D

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 04:54:26 PM »
Thanks Sue,
It will not be zero for long as I am not going to wait 3hrs twice a week for my water. ;D

I will do it over 15 mins and it will be about 10ppm. The platies are in :P beautiful deep reds and black/red mottles. 4 Females and 2 males. I do not know what I am going to do with any fry!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 04:59:47 PM »
The platies sound nice, they should be a good contrast to the tetras. Now you've got fish we are all  waiting for photos in the gallery section  ;D

I know the instinct is to try and save as many fry as possible, but take it from someone who has had livebearers, the best thing to do is resist all instincts and do nothing. I've had platies, guppies and endlers over the years.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 05:01:52 PM »
Thanks Sue,
I will give it a few days and then dust down my trusty DSLR and take a few photos next week. ;D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 09:48:39 PM »
Hi. I've recently taken a plant out of my tank and it has noticeably affected the water flow. Which now reaches the far end of the tank sufficiently to create a bit of turbulence. And now some of my cardinal tetras swim up and down the short, barest of the tank walls. Your lemon tetras' behaviuor sounds very similar. So perhaps you might want to look at the flow in your tank.

By the way, I have to add nitrates to my tank at water change to keep my plants healthy.  :)

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 04:27:12 AM »
Hi Helen,
Thanks for that...since I put the platies in, the Lemon Tetra are not doing it as much. The water flow in my tank is quite strong along the back of the tank. Not sure how I can change that as if I turn the nozzle anywhere else it is strong enough to blows the plants so they lay horizontal :P

In saying that the platies are enjoying swimming at the back against the flow. In fact they are like kids at a fairground keep going back for my.

I would like to adjust/reduce flow but think I will have to put up with it.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 10:41:22 PM »
Water flow strong enough to flatten your plants is quite strong.  :o

I think a lot of filters have a means to adjust the water flow. I know both my Hagen external filter and the small internal filter that is in my QT both have a way of reducing the flow. On the external, it is a lever that looks like part of the pipe sealing paraphernalia. On the internal it is a dial on the top of the filter that isn't at all obvious it is a dial - I only discovered it when I managed to turn it by accident!

Offline DARRELL

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »
I had silver tip tetras as the first fish in my 200l tank, they took a long time to settle in so give them time.....it took even longer for them to develop their full colour which was far more striking than i saw in the shop.

As for the fry....your tetras will know exactly what to do with them  :-\

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Are they posing and how to change."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2013, 07:30:55 PM
by lukenewfish
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 11:25:19 AM
by Sue
18 Replies
Last post February 16, 2014, 01:49:59 PM
by Resa
6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2014, 01:33:37 PM
by Flaree123
3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 12:11:53 PM
by Colesr92
7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2017, 12:49:38 AM
by TrenchyLs
9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2018, 05:08:22 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: