Hi y'all,

We have the following fish in our tank:

2 Black Phantom Tetra
3 Red Phantom Tetra
1 Cory Sterbai (Alan)
1 Peppered Cory (Marty)
1 Cory Agassizi (Oscar)
2 x Red Flame Gourami (Joey and Lola)

Tetras and Agassizi added first. Then other corys later. This weekend saw the additions of the Gourami.
Any advice to some budding aquarists would be appreciated! We have had the first fish since 6th July 2013.

Just added some moss balls and floating plants to the tank where we already have live plants and bogwood. We already have a bubble nest (The day after adding the floating plants, 3 days after adding the Gourami) - we're not quite ready for the fry yet!

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Aquanano 40 - 55 litre
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Gilkins,

Sue will tell you for sure, and possibly have some suggestions, but I think, if I am thinking of the right tank that you mean, then it is too small for gouramis and phantom tetras. Also, in a smallish tank then it's best to only keep one male gourami, that's why I had Flockhart on his own. They can get a bit territorial if they have a lady and can get a bit pushy for her as well, which is why it is often better to have more than one female, so his attention is shared around....lucky boys, eh? ;)
I know very little about tetras, but I'm fairly sure I remember Sue saying that they are fast swimmers and like a large length tank so they can whizz up and down. It would be a bit like them hurtling out of starting blocks and almost straight in to a wall.
As for cories, they really like to be in groups of 6 or more (preferably of their own type) I am not familiar with the Agassizi, but I would also think that the tank is too small for the others, and certainly for their groupings of 6.
Cories are also sensitive to high nitrates so you must keep on top of your water conditions, and if you haven't already got one, a good water testing kit is a must. Cories are really best left until the tank is quite mature.
Sue will ask you what kind of cycling you did with your tank too.

I'm really sorry to sound so negative and hey, who knows, I could be wrong and have the wrong tank in mind.
It's always best (we've all discovered) to get the biggest tank you can afford and can fit in, otherwise you can find that all the fish you're interested in aren't suitable for your set up. :(

Flockhart was always building bubble nests...they take it really seriously, don't they?

Well, I hope I haven't put you off the forum :-\

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »
Hi Gilkins,

Resa has just about covered everything I would have said.
She refered to cycling - depending on how you did that you may be fine or you may have problems coming. Shops and tank manufactureres very rarely tell you anything useful about cycling. This is the process of growing bacteria in the filter which remove toxins from the tank. One species uses the ammonia secreted by the fish as food, and turns it into nitrite, the second species uses that nitrite as food and turns it into nitrate. It takes several weeks to grow these bacteria in sufficient numbers to keep both ammonia and nitrite in the water at zero.
Most shops won't tell you about this, or they'll tell you to add bottle bacteria. But the majority of these bottles don't work.

If you just let the tank run, then got the first fish, it is quite possible that you had ammonia and nitrite in the tank for a few weeks. It has been a few weeks since then, so you may have enough bacteria by now. But if there was either of the two toxins in the tank at the beginning, the fish could have been affected and be more likely to become sick.

Resa mentioned the number and type of fish you have, and I agree. Apart from the gouramis, you have several shoaling species in numbers that are too small. Shoaling fish are those that live in groups of hundreds, if not thousands, in the wild. When there aren't enough of them, their instincts tell them that the rest of the shoal must have been eaten so they are constantly looking out for the predator. This is very stressful, and stressed fish get sick very easily. It is reckoned that fish lose count around six, and any number at or over six is regarded as a shoal. So to be 'happy', you need 6+ red phantoms, 6+ black phantoms and 6+ of each of the three cory species. Yes, you need 18 cories if you want three species.

I've looked at your post in this thread, and the one in Resa's thread about her gourami, and I can find anything about your tank size (though of course it does take me a couple of hours to wake up properly in a morning and I might not be seeing what is written there  :-\ )
Both black phantoms and red phantoms need a minimum of 70 litres and a length of at least 60cm. You'll see in those links that at least six each are remommended, with at least 10 of each being better.
Cories need a tank with a biggish footprint - that is a long rectangular tank rather than a cube shaped one.

I wouldn't worry about any fry from the gouramis - the chances are the tetras would eat any eggs before they hatched, and certainly any fry once they got big enough to swim on their own. The biggest risk is the male gourami attacking the female if he wants to breed and she doesn't.

Can I ask a silly question? You definitely have a male and female gourami? Some shop workers don't know the difference. If both your fish are red, you have 2 males. Female dwarfs are silver with a hint of colour.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:56:13 AM »
I've just noticed the title of this thread. I said I was not really awake  :-[

So your tank is a Aquanano 40, and is 55 litres volume. And it's a cube with a small footprint. Doesn't Colin B on here have one of those?

In that case, the tank is too small for all your fish I'm afraid. Instead of dwarf gouramis, you would be better with honey gouramis - they do come in a red variety, sometoimes called red robin gouramis.
Habrosus cories would be a better choice, six of them, or pygmy cories.
And there are several small tetras that would be fine in there eg ember tetras.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 09:09:33 AM »
Yep - I have one of those, a lovely tank with great filtration..... but frustratingly small. I have 5-band barbs (x9); cherry barbs (x5) and guppies (x2) in mine. I did have a honey gourami in there as well but he popped his clogs a few weeks ago.

DJT has one of these, too, and I think he has/had different stocking to me.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »
Hi,

As Colin has said it has fantastic filtration (one tip is cut the large black sponge in half to make it easier to clean out).

I have over time lost some of my fish and havn't replaced their numbers, I currently have-

3 Endlers
4 Black Phantom tetra (did have 6)
3 Celestial Danios (did have 6)
5 Green neon tetras (did have 6)
4 salt and pepper corydoras
8 japonica shrimp

My tank has plenty of live plants and decor including an extra air pump for airation. I will try and get round to adding an updated pic on the gallery this weekend to give you an idea of layout.

Offline Gilkins

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:47:46 PM »
Hi All

Thank you for your advice - it is really useful.

Before embarking on setting up our aquarium we sought lots of advice from our LFS and various forums as a result we think we cycled the tank properly and have a mix of bottom, middle and top swimmers. All seem to be getting on well with the both red and black phantoms schooling together and the Corys seem to be pretty friendly as well even though different species  ;D  We went for dwarf/small species as we had done some research in to what was appropriate for our tank. We have got various live plants including moss balls and Amazon frogbit floating plants. Mr Gourami seems to have taken it upon himself to take the roots off to build himself a bubble nest!

Thanks DJT for the advice on the filter sponge. One question is how is it best to get the pump out so that we can clean it. Ie screwing, pulling etc. It seems quite stiff and we are worried it might get damaged.

We are doing another gravel clean tomorrow but want to be careful not to over clean. What is the recommended gravel clean frequency and to what extent?

We appear to have a really thin film of algae building up on the inside of the tank. It is easy to wipe off but would it be best to leave for the fish?

Thanks again for all your advice, it is really helpful!!!!

Offline Gilkins

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
Here are just a few of the MANY photos of our fish  :)

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »
One question is how is it best to get the pump out so that we can clean it. Ie screwing, pulling etc. It seems quite stiff and we are worried it might get damaged.

Colin may have some advice on this too from experience?

I clean the pump during a water change. I take the outlet head off 1st, then i put my hand into the filter section where the pump is and pull the pump it upwards. Sometimes a suction cup will come off but they go back on fine. Then I take apart the pump and clean it in some of the tank water I have removed. The pump is robust and ive had no issues with mine. Once done i simply lower it using the green pipe, push it down a little so the suction cups fix in place and put the outlet head back on. I hope that makes sense, trying to picture how I do it, seem to go on auto pilot without thinking what im doing normally :)

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
Hi Gilkins,

I LOVE cories! Good choice ;) Well done, as well, for researching properly and cycling your tank, it makes things easier in the long run.

I just clean the front glass of my tank and the side that you can see most easily, but I have otos and they need algae, so I leave it for them....plus it's fun watching them do their little window cleaning bit ;D

As far as gravel cleaning goes, I do a fairly deep clean in a different area each water change, as well as going over the surface , of course. I do a water change twice a week of about 30% each time, I need to do this to keep my nitrates nice and low for my cories. Plus, I have baby platys in my tank again, so it's a bit busy in there :)
I guess a lot depends on how messy your fish are.

Anyway, hope that's been some help :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Gilkins

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »
Evening all.

Have taken Resa's advice and did a good gravel clean in one area. Luckily our fish aren't too messy so we have been doing a 30% change on the weekend and everyone still seems quite content!

Will have a go at doing the pump next time. It just feels so fragile, really worried we will snap it. I am not really sure what DJT means by a green wire..... I am pretty confident that we don't have one of those?!?!?! Please forgive our tank ignorance!!!

Offline Gilkins

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
p.s - we are running low on tap safe so going to stock up online Amazon/ebay). Any particular brands to go for or avoid?  Cheers

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »
There are a couple of brands that are very cheap to use - the bottles may cost more but they go a long way. The first is Seachem Prime - but I think the company has banned Ebay and possibly Amazon sellers from selling it. The other is the one I use - API tap water conditioner. It removes chlorine and heavy metals, but it doesn't contain aloe vera or anything else to 'stimulate the slime coat' - I don't like that. It also contains nothing to detoxify ammonia so it isn't good for people who have chloramine rather than chlorine in their tapwater.
Other than that, look at pond dechlorinators as they are more concentrated than the same make for aquariums. With your sized tank, you'd probably need a syringe to measure it though.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
Will have a go at doing the pump next time. It just feels so fragile, really worried we will snap it. I am not really sure what DJT means by a green wire..... I am pretty confident that we don't have one of those?!?!?! Please forgive our tank ignorance!!!

The pump outlet nozzle is what holds the pump in place - and that's a push fit through the hole from the 'main tank' section into the 'pump&heater' section. You need to pull the nozzle off - which can be quite tricky to do if you've pushed it in hard. I grip it with the algae-scrubber pad. The pump will then slide up the back wall of the tank if you pull it up gently and firmly... depositing water all over your lounge floor if you're not careful to empty it into the tank first.  :)  It then just pulls apart in sections. Pull the impellor out with a pair of tweezers and get a Q-tip and clean inside the impellor housing. slide it back in and push the nozzle back in - gently this time so you can get it off easily next time!

While the pump is out of the tank it's best to stuff the algae-scrubber into the hole where the nozzle was in the tank wall section so that a fish doesn't swim through into the back. That would be a bugger to sort out.

I'm afraid that I 'lost' a guppy in my pump - it swam up the out-flow nozzle 'like a salmon at spawning time' - or something - and got mashed by the pump and spat back into the tank. It then polluted the water very quickly as this happened at night so I didn't spot it. I drilled a few millimeter hole straight across the nozzle and slid in a small bar of plastic and trimmed the ends flush to the tube. This stops any more escape attempts.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Aquanano 40 - 55 litre"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2013, 08:16:40 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
by Kirstos
9 Replies
Last post January 12, 2015, 12:33:30 PM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2014, 06:55:30 AM
by Puffin
6 Replies
Last post January 28, 2015, 05:30:04 PM
by Fiona
33 Replies
Last post May 29, 2015, 04:04:34 PM
by AdyDnt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: