API PH Down

Author Topic: API PH Down  (Read 2400 times) 4 replies

Offline Metropolitanguy

• Tropical Fish Forum User
API PH Down
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All,

I have a semi heavily planted 18 gallon tropical tank. I am looking to get dwarf gouramis which require a Ph around 7. The Ph out of my tap is close to 8 so doing nothing is not an option. Driftwood is already in the tank but it cannot counteract the super high Ph.

I am looking for comments on how I am planning to do this:

1) Lower the Ph gradually over 4 weeks to 7 (I currently only have hardy fish in there)
2) After that, for every water change, I prepare the water the day before and adjust its Ph level to the exact same Ph level as the water in the tank with API Ph down.
3) I would use a digital Ph reader to ensure absolute accuracy.

Do you guys think this would keep my Ph levels reasonably stable?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Neon Tetra (20) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: API PH Down
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:25:17 AM »
Hi, welcome to the forum  :wave:

Lowering the pH with chemicals is not a good idea.
Fish that like a low pH usually like soft water. Soft water is defined as water that has few divalent metal ions (mainly calcium with some magnesium and trace amounts of other metals) but it also has few minerals of every other type. Adding a chemical does not remove any minerals, it adds to them - the opposite of what these fish need
The other danger is that high pH usually goes with hard water, and high GH usually goes with high KH. If the KH is high, as soon as the chemical is added the pH drops, then the buffering effect of the KH kicks in and the pH goes back up again. This constantly swinging pH is not good for fish. The fact that your driftwood is not affecting the pH does suggest your tap water has high KH.

Hardness is more important to fish than pH. If your tap water is hard, you need to reduce the hardness for soft water fish. This is done by adding a source of pure water to dilute the minerals in hard tap water. The usual 'pure' water is RO (reverse osmosis) water either purchased form a fish shop, or from a machine installed under your sink. The same ratio of tap:RO must be used at every water change; an emergency water change using just tap water can never be done so there must be some RO on hand at all times.

Now that I've said all that, what is the hardness of your tap water? If you don't have a tester you should be able to find that info somewhere on your water company's website. You need both the number and the unit as they could use any one of half a dozen units and you'll probably need to convert it to one of the two units used in fishkeeping.

Dwarf gouramis are OK in water up to pH 7.5 and hardness up to 15 German degrees.

One more thing - a lot of people find dwarf gouramis die within a few months of purchase. Dwarf gouramis bred in the far east are often already infected with dwarf gourami iridovirus by the time they get to the shop. This disease is incurable and is the cause of so many of those deaths. This applies to all the colour morphs of dwarf gourami. It is for this reason that a lot of fishkeepers won't buy dwarf gouramis.

So, a few things for you to think about.
Are you willing to risk buying diseased fish?
Do you have hard water?
If you do have hard water, are you prepared to accept the cost and messing about with your water just so that you can keep softer water fish?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I would urge you not to change your pH with chemicals.

I live in a hard water area (17dH), and the water has a pH of 7 from the tap, but 8.2-8.4 when left to stand for a couple of days. When I first started looking at keeping fish I hadn't done the experiment where I tested the tap water over several days, and only noticed that the pH in my tank was higher than expected. I bought API pH Down to add to the tank. It was a complete disaster. The water turned cloudy and would not clear. I'm only guessing that the minerals in the hard water were precipitating out due to the addition of the chemicals to reduce the pH.
Luckily I was in the process of a fishless cycle, so there was no damage done, but the tank had to be completely stripped down, cleaned, and everything started again. from my previous experience I would say do not do this sort of thing in an established tank containing fish as it is way too risky.
It took me a while to come to terms with having hard water, but I have found that there are a lot of awesome fish that are happy with it. Saying that, I completely fell for one species that i decided that I absolutely had to have, and spent a lot of time researching and building an appropriate environment (river tank). I use a mix of treated tap water and RO for that tank.

As Sue has mentioned, have a look at your water company website and find out what your water hardness is. Let us know and we can help you with some suggestions.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:47:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Now that I've said all that, what is the hardness of your tap water? If you don't have a tester you should be able to find that info somewhere on your water company's website. You need both the number and the unit as they could use any one of half a dozen units and you'll probably need to convert it to one of the two units used in fishkeeping.
I absolutely concur with that. In addition, I'd check to see if they give PH details, and also check to see what your tap water PH is after leaving it to stand for a day or two - some water companies adjust the PH which then reverts to its true level after 24+ hours.

Great advice from the two previous posters, so there isn't much more that I can add.

Offline Metropolitanguy

• Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:04:24 PM »
Dear All,

I am really very grateful for your advice. You have prevented me from making a HUGE mistake. I checked the water in my area and it is considered hard. I have got the test kits and will see how a bucket of tap water develops over the course of a week. I deginitely will not do anything to adjust my Ph. It all isn't really worth it. Thanks again for taking the time of your day to help me!

Jan

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Neon Tetra (20) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags: dwarf gourami 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: