Anyone Used JBL Manardo

Author Topic: Anyone used JBL Manardo  (Read 2417 times) 2 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Anyone used JBL Manardo
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:37:17 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Has anyone used JBL Manardo as substrate, i don't intend having a heavily planted tank, but i love the colour of it. Not sure how much i would need for a 48" x 18" thank it may be a bit too expensive an option, and i  wondered if it could be used on top of sand maybe to lessen the cost. Oh and i have the option of Pool Filter sand, would that be ok for Cory's do you think? :-\ Sorry if i'm in wrong place for this question  :-[

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Anyone used JBL Manardo
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »
Sorry for the delay in answering this, but my PC is currently in bits on the floor whilst I put in a new motherboard and processor.

I used Manardo for a short time when I first got my tank a few years back. The guy in the lfs persuaded me to buy it. I was young and innocent, well younger than I am now anyway. I wasn't thrilled with it. Firstly, it's an odd colour... sort of a terracotta red. Secondly, it has an almost neutral buoyancy and so tends to get washed around the tank at the slightest whiff of a current. Thirdly, and this was the killer, it is composed of little round particles that provide very little binding between other particles so you get this sort of slushy red stuff at the bottom of your tank. It's very hard to plant anything in it without the plant floating to the surface the second you turn your back.  So I whisked it out and put some sand in.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Anyone used JBL Manardo
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:13:50 PM »
Hi Steve, thanks for assembling enough of your Pc to reply lol Mmm well the colour i like, but it does seem to have some disadvantages, i have heard about the planting problems before, but strangely the local Maidenhead Aq shop has it in a very small tank, and it's the most heavily planted one lol. Mm Pool sand and gravel then i think  :-\

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: