Author Topic: Another Newbie - Cycling & Plants  (Read 2772 times) 6 replies

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Another Newbie - Cycling & Plants
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:16:06 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
At last I'm old enough and made some money to do this properly. I am having a 256L tank. I have read the cycling tank method on here, and wish to do this with no fish (so I expect to be back very soon needing help!). I actually wish to grow plants and spend time on a certain look (cross between Nature/Jungle) but not as the whole focus, so I will have want plenty of fish eventually.

My question is, as the plants are to be grown from the outset is it ok to cycle the tank with plants planted?

Many thanks

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Re: Another Newbie - Cycling & Plants
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:26:59 AM »
And I intend to work from Sues pinned method posted 15/8/13 - is this still the best way please?  :D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 10:49:42 AM »
Hi sjames, welcome to the forum  :wave:

That method is still the one to use  :)

There are two schools of thought about plants.

The first is to plant the tank and wait two or three weeks to make sure the plants are growing well. Then start the cycle. But because plants use ammonia as fertiliser, you may see a drop in ammonia but no nitrite being made, or only a small amount. This will make the cycle different from the pinned one, but try to follow it as closely as possible. The main point to look for is the day you can add 3 ppm ammonia and have no ammonia or nitrite 24 hours later.
Plants also have filter bacteria in the biofilm covering the plant, so they can seed the cycle. But it needs a lot of plants to have any significant impact.

The second school of thought says to do the cycle, then add the plants. The reasoning here is that if you cycle with plants you won't grow as many bacteria because the plants will take up some of the added ammonia. If the plants then die, there won't be enough bacteria to remove the ammonia that would have been taken up by the dead plants. People who support this method reckon it is safer to grow all the bacteria needed for 3 ppm ammonia then plant the tank so that if the plants die there will be enough bacteria.
Also, some plants are sensitive to the amount of ammonia used during cycling and could suffer.

It comes down to - how good are your plant growing skills? If this is the first planted tank, I would use the second approach, cycle the tank than add plants. Should you decide to get another tank, you will know about your plant growing skills and can use the first approach for this potential second tank.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »
Thanks so much Sue, I am going to plant them and let them settle for the period, and then start the cycling process. I have waited so long to do this, my family are now impatient to get the fish in, but I am happy to get this as right as possible from the beginning.
I hope with the tank size and plant growth I will get to as balanced an offering as possible, I know to achieve this the trick is not to rush it. I'm Simon by the way.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 01:55:10 PM »
You could always get a few plastic fish to keep the family happy  ;D

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 02:17:33 PM »
You could always get a few plastic fish to keep the family happy  ;D

I was going to post a like on that Sue, made me laugh. But couldn't work out how to do it. ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 05:22:57 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I have trouble with patience when setting up new tanks, so I admire your will power and determination to get things right. Well done.
 :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Another Newbie - Cycling & Plants"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 07:10:26 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 11:49:31 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 09:30:30 PM
by Cazzybaby
4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 04:08:41 PM
by Munchy2007
5 Replies
Last post January 01, 2015, 02:08:39 PM
by nickyarthur
12 Replies
Last post January 29, 2015, 09:37:05 PM
by sunshine
7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2020, 04:44:09 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: