Ammonia Problems

Author Topic: ammonia problems  (Read 12248 times) 34 replies

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
Re: ammonia problems
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 10:13:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi , my ph of water stood for 24 h is about 6.6 to 6.8 isn , ammonia .25, nitrite  nil and nitrate 0.. why would the ph go to 6 in my tank , i have no plants just ornaments and plastic plants  and 7 fish in 60 litre tank, i would like to a couple more fish in but scared of what might happen to them if i put more in. i did have 20 in once and they were all ok until filter broke and all hell let loose and not really recovered from it but not lost any for a while now. i would like to get some bactria growing again and get back to normal ..  my nitrite was about 2 to 5 on tuesday so did 30% water change and by thursday i had none !!   though ph had gone to 6 ( yellow on api tester scale ) any ideas , thanks
 :(

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 10:44:38 AM »
I wonder if you have a very low KH. The end product of the nitrogen cycle (nitrate) is acidic, as are other chemicals excreted by the fish. If your KH is very low there will be no buffer to stabilise the pH and the pH would fall.
Do you have any wood in the tank? That would also release acids (tannins) contributing to the problem.

You can buy testers for KH but the cheapest first step would be to ask a shop to test a sample of tapwater for both KH and GH. If they turn out to be low, especially KH, there are things you can do to increase KH, GH and pH. But you need to check your KH and GH before doing anything.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »
hi, i have no wood in the tank just plastic plants and ornaments.. i will either buy a kit or take to shop to have tested later..  can i also ask if have another tank and want to fish less cycle it what is the best way to do it , thanks

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 07:26:02 PM »
You have 2 choices. Either do a fishless cycle using ammonia or steal a bit of media from the current tank, put it in the new tank's filter and do a fishless cycle using ammonia. The second way should be quicker as getting the bacteria started is the slow bit; any bacteria you can add will speed things up.
Though with the problems you've had recently, if you want to do option 2 I'd wait till the current tank has settled down.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
hi, i will steal a bit of media when my other tank settles down, but i do believe thats its my ph levels going to 6 as when i have 6.5 ph the bacteria grows and i get nitrite etc, thanks

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »
hi, i have tested my kh and gh..  sat 18th oct….  gh 120… kh…0    thurs 23 oct  gh 180….kh nil to 40…..

nitrites and nitrates nil and ph 6 each time  …  don't know what they mean, but i guess you do  ;-)  is there anything i can do to get ph up to 6.6 to 7 , thanks

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 06:12:42 PM »
hi, i have just tested my tap water and gh is 60 to 120  and kh is 40 to 80 , which is good according to the chart on the testers , :-0
 :fishy1:

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 06:15:39 PM »
Hi Fruitbat,

I think Sue called it a while back:

I wonder if you have a very low KH. The end product of the nitrogen cycle (nitrate) is acidic, as are other chemicals excreted by the fish. If your KH is very low there will be no buffer to stabilise the pH and the pH would fall.

KH is carbonate hardness and basically helps keep pH stable, as such, because yours is so low this probably explains why your pH is dropping so rapidly. What I'm not sure about is why the KH in your tank is lower than from your tap - I'm sure someone with more knowledge in this area will advise.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 06:29:46 PM »
hi, I've heard that if you agitate the water too much this can be a reason for low kh, ( maybe an old wives tale ) just waiting for sue to come up with some answers ;-)

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
It's boiling the water that removes KH. Carbonates decompose with heat. That's why carbonate hardness is called temporary hardness.

Are you using strip testers? They are not the most accurate. But 40ppm KH is just above 2 German degrees - and 4 degrees is the lower limit for water stability. Even 80 is a bit on the low side. I think this low KH is the cause of your pH problems. It's lower in the tank because it's getting used up, and possibly the inaccuracy of the strips.
Your GH at 180ppm is classed as moderately hard.

You could try putting something made of calcium carbonate in the tank. Chunks of limestone rock; shells;  pieces of coral or crushed coral; aragonite sand. Inside the filter is the best place for crushed coral or sand, if that could be managed. These all dissolve slowly, increasing both KH and ph, which you want, and also GH.
The other alternative is to get some remineralisation salts of the kind made for use with RO water. You would need to use them at every water change. The best way would be to add the salts to a bucket of water till you got the KH where you want it (around 100ppm) and add that concentration when you do water changes. Using just the amount for the new water rather than the whole tank would increase the amount in the tank slowly.

And the filter bacteria need carbonate in the water  and a high pH to multiply. You might well find that getting more carbonate into the tank helps the ammonia too as the bacteria will be able to multiply faster.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »
hi, can i put some crushed coral in a mesh bag and put in my filter holder next to sponge media,

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »
That would be perfect.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »
hi, a little too late i think now , woke up this morning and had a nitrite spike that took all my fish bar 2 cardinals..  not had nitrite for a while, did a 30 % water change fri dinnertime trying to keep ammonia down and buffer my kh … we was out last night and didn't look at them till morning and my danios and a cardinal were dead ..  checking water fri dinner ammonia was .5 to 1 and nitrite was 0 nitrate was 20 isn and ph 6 (yellow)  checked this morning and all same except nitrite which was very high 5 isn .. maybe its time to stop as just cannot get it working properly the last 3 months   ,just keep losing fish
:(

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »
What fish do you have left?

I think the remedy is to treat your water as though it was RO water and add some remineralisation salts. You wouldn't need to add much, just enough to get your KH above the danger mark. But you would need a liquid GH and KH tester set to do this.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2014, 07:00:19 PM »
hi, i have just two ill looking cardinals left, I'm going to put them in my smaller tank tomorrow when i reset it up and shut the big one down. maybe ill start again next year with the 60l tank I'm not really sure.  i enjoyed the first 6 months of fish keeping but last 3 months have taken a lot of work and to be honest its very sad to wake up to dead fish and not know what to do etc..i felt like dr death sometimes!!  thanks for all your help sue..  as the terminator says ..  i might be back  :-) :fishy1:

Tags: sue 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "ammonia problems"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2012, 08:45:09 PM
by Pixiecatjo
4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 07:31:19 PM
by pmalipha
26 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 12:29:00 PM
by jesnon
16 Replies
Last post November 12, 2014, 06:41:52 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2015, 04:00:31 PM
by Cod_only_knows
25 Replies
Last post September 10, 2016, 11:48:33 AM
by Fiona
21 Replies
Last post December 04, 2018, 07:55:47 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: