Author Topic: Ammonia in tap water  (Read 4116 times) 29 replies

Offline hilly

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Ammonia in tap water
« on: June 09, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all.

I have two questions really. Not sure if they will both be seen in the one post but I'll try!

I have a 60 litre tank that I have /am cycling. I have really hard, alkaline water (10° and 8.0ph) so there's a little issue straight away out of the tap. I have been taking regular ammonia readings that have been consistant.. 25 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 40/80 Nitrate and it remains exactly the same even after a 60% water change. I have been tearing my hair out thinking this tank just isn't gonna cycle. It been 5 weeks and the ammonia has never been 0. I then yesterday tested my tap water for ammonia out of curiosity and there it was. . 25ppm ammonia. I think I am right in assuming this is chloramine in my water. I treat it with Seachem Prime before a water change. So am I safe to presume that this 0.25 reading is safe for my fish and to use it as 'my zero' reading.

My other question is does anyone have any experience with stingray filters? I am not sure whether much water is actually drawn in through the filter media as there is a lot of un sealed areas around the flip up lid that water could get through. Is this any problem at all. I'm just worried about the water not all passing by my benefitial bacteria in my media. When I do a water change and the level drops an inch or two below the outlet novel it stops pumping so the water is falling out of the sides and clearly not being drawn up in enough volume through the 'tail'.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh one important bit. I started a fish less cycle but with going on holiday for 10 days I didn't want my BB to starve off ammonia and then be back to square one so I added four Pristella Tetras. Now they did die admittedly but this was week 2&3 and when I got home my ammonia was 0.75. It has since come down to the 0.25 I mentioned.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Molly (2) - Honey Gourami (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Celestial Pearl Danio (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (3) - Otocinclus (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Ammonia in tap water
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:59:04 AM »
No experience with the stingray filters myself but th3y normally get good reviews. Could you post a photo so I can try and get my head round it? Can you feel the fl9w of the water in the tank near the filter outlet when the tank is full?

Regarding the ammonia reading... what test kit are you using and how old is it? This may sound daft but these kits vary significantly in their accuracy and have a shelf life for the chemicals they contain....

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 08:42:42 AM »
To cycle/prepare the filter (or, more specifically, its media) to be able to build up sufficient beneficial bacteria to handle/process the proposed fish's waste, you'll need to add a source of ammonia to your tank to simulate fish waste, otherwise the readings will be much the same as what comes out of the tap. Details on how to do a fishless cycle is here https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/ Once that process is complete (usually 4-6 weeks but the readings will let you know when you're at that stage), then you can safely add fish.

Offline hilly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 09:31:26 AM »
Hi guys. Thanks for the really quick replies.

Matt, yes it throws out water at the outlet as I'd expect it to, it's just that when a small piece of food or something similar floats past the inlet it doesn't really deviate and get sucked in so it's making me think the water is mainly being sucked into the unsealed sides. If this is normal and OK then so be it. I'm just not sure.  🤔

Fcmf, I researched the nitrogen cycle a fair bit and started the first two weeks with a fish less cycle. I used food to put in the ammonia. And everything went as expected. High ammonia and nitrites and these steadily rose and fell with 'feedings'. I then went on holiday and had nobody to continue this so I had to use the 'frowned upon' approach and introduce a couple of fish. I did a large water change as I went away. Now I've come back the readings are consistently as my original post which led me to test the tap water which contains 0.25ppm ammonia. With my tank Nitrites being 0 am I safe to assume that my tank is cycled and that my water just contains the ammonia from the chloromine that is safe after being treated with seachem prime.  Oh and forgot to mention the test kit is four weeks old and is the API master freshwater test kit.

Thanks

Gaz

Black Molly (2) - Honey Gourami (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Celestial Pearl Danio (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (3) - Otocinclus (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
What is the light where you read the test result? Daylight is best - easy at this time of year  :) - and it is known that fluorescent lights, including compact fluorescent energy saving bulbs, make the test tube look greener than it really is.
It is also known that people's eyes see colours differently. Some people never see the yellow zero colour even on tanks that have been running for years.

Ammonia in tap water is usually caused by chloramine, and prime will detoxify it for 24 hours, then it will turn back into undetoxified ammonia. Normally, the ammonia from chloramine has been 'eaten' by the filter bacteria within 24 hours.

Do you have any live plants in the tank? Plants prefer ammonia as fertiliser so they will remove a lot of the ammonia made by the fish. Floating plants are particularly good for this as they are very close to the tank lights, and can take in carbon dioxide from the air - these are the other two things needed for plant growth.
If you tell us the size of the tank we can recommend suitable plant species.

Stingray filters do have a couple of problems.
The first one to be aware of is that small fish can get stuck in the gap between the filter and the tank. The solution is to put a layer of filter wool in the gap so the fish can't get into it.
The second problem is the media. Part of the media is carbon-zeolite cartridges. Carbon is not needed on a routine basis and it will remove medication should you ever have sick fish. Zeolite removes ammonia and medication. The trouble is that zeolite gets full and stops absorbing ammonia; because it was removing ammonia not enough bacteria have grown so ammonia shoots up in the water. You are tied to replacing these cartridges before the zeolite gets full for ever.
The best thing you can do is take these cartridges out and use them to cut a piece of sponge to the same size and shape and use those in place of the cartridges. Any brand of filter sponge will do as long as it is big enough.
For anyone unfamiliar with the filter, here is the manual https://uk.hagen.com/File/c02555ca-c56a-457c-80fc-f612958bbb2f

Or get a better filter  ;)

And you should turn the heater and filter off when you do a water change. Heaters have been known to explode if they turn on when out of water, and filter pumps burn out if run in air. Water changes should be 50% a week when you have fish so the level will drop well below the heater and filter.
The stingray's pump is at the top of the filter so as the water level drops past the top of the filter the pump is running in air.

Fishless cycles take longer than 2 weeks. When I did one, it took 7 weeks.
Do you have any fish left in the tank now? If you don't, I suggest you buy a bottle of ammonia and follow the method in fcmf's link. If you do have fish, the best way to protect them is with live plants. We can help you with those  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »
Forgot to mention - 10o hardness is not very hard.
There are two units used in fishkeeping, German degrees, also called dH; and ppm. Your 10 deg convert to 178 ppm. You will need these two numbers when researching which fish to buy; some fish profiles use one, some the other.
The most reliable site is http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ Use this site to find out the tank size and water conditions a fish species needs and also which fish are and are not compatible.

Never, ever believe anything a fish shop tells you about which fish are suitable for your tank. Most shop workers will make up any rubbish to get a sale. Always research for yourself.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »
Just to add to the helpful advice above:
* in a fishless cycle, ammonia such as Kleen-Off ammonia is a much better source of ammonia than that from fish food; I and others have tried the fish food method but it's not very reliable and is difficult to gauge how much and how frequently to dose it, whereas it's much clearer to do so with ammonia;
* if I've understood your post correctly, the fish have all died and you've not been dosing ammonia (or fish food to create the ammonia) since, in which case you'll need to resume doing so in order to enable the cycle to re-start/continue.

Hope that's helpful.

Offline hilly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 01:14:59 PM »
Hi Sue.

Wow I'm glad you saw my post. Some great advice there. I'll try and answer all the questions you've asked. 😉

It is a relatively well planted tank. 3 background broadleaf plants and eight small 'anubis' type I think.

The room I check my test tubes in probably isn't the brightest so I'll go outside next time. 👍🏻

Next water change (tomorrow) I'll change the cage material and put in some normal filler media. And I'll turn the heater off! (I never even considered that) 😔

There are three male guppys in there at the moment. A mate was overstocked after his bred and I had read that with alkaline hard-ish water I should be looking at the live bearers. They seem happy enough at the minute, quite active and hungry.

I know a few of my guys made the ultimate sacrifice because of my holiday but I'm semi confident that the tank is OK now. I was just a little stumped with a few things. But with the help here I'm hopefully turning the corner. And I think on payday I'll be getting a new filter. 😀

One further question. Will squeezing my old filter media into the one be OK or should I run them both for a while and allow it to catch up?

Thanks so much once again.

Gaz

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 02:30:27 PM »
Regarding the ammonia test - not in direct sunlight but in a well lit location. In the shade of a bush or round the corner from the sun would be best. Or on a lightly overcast day.

Since you do have plants, I would not worry too much about the ammonia reading. I know that anubias are slow growing plants and will therefore not take up ammonia very quickly but they should cope. I have all slow growing plants (including anubias  :) ) except for the water sprite and hornwort floating on the surface, and my tank is quite heavily stocked. A few months ago I turned the filter off to adjust it and forgot to turn it back on. I found out a day later and tested for ammonia & nitrite to be on the safe side. Both were zero. With the amount of fish I have, that can only be due to the plants using all the ammonia made by the fish.

Re the filter, looking at the manual there are 2 pieces of sponge in the 'tail' and a cartridge in each 'wing'. Leave the sponges there and swap one cartridge for sponge at first. You will need to trim the sponge to the same size and shape as the cartridge. After a month, swap the other cartridge. Carbon and zeolite will grow bacteria so changing one at a time means you are not removing a lot of bacteria at one go.
If you do get a new filter on payday, 'persuade' the stingray sponges to fit the new filter, with a pair of scissors if necessary. Fill any spaces with the media that comes with the new filter. After a month, you can replace the stingray sponges with the media that comes with the new filter, a bit at a time, once a month. The cartridges will be more of a problem as they won't fit any other filter. I would suggest leaving them in the tank for a few weeks in a region where the water flow is quite strong.
And make sure the new filter doesn't have a lot of carbon or carbon-zeolite cartridges  ;D If you tell us how big the tank is, we can all tell you our favourite filters for that size.

Guppies are fine at hardness 10 deg/178 ppm (they need 143 to 536 ppm); but before buying check that any future hard water species are OK at 10 deg/178 ppm. For example, mollies need 15 to 35 deg, a lot more than your 10.

Offline hilly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »
Thanks again Sue.

It's a juwel monolux 60 ltr. It's really comforting to know that a well planted tank gives you a window of safe operation with regards to ammonia. More plants will be bought! 💷

My local shop has quite a lot of Eheim gear so would imagine the new filter may be one of those.

Thanks again for all your help.

Gaz

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »
I have Eheim filters. I use their Biopowers in my big tank, and I had the Aquaball in my old 50 litre tank. Both of these have baskets which would fit the stingray sponges with a bit of cutting up. Other people have used their Pickup filters and like them. These have just one sponge, but you should be able to cut some of that off to make room for the stingray's sponges. Looking at the photos, I think the sponge is hollow so you might be able to get the stingray's sponges in there. @TopCookie has one of these so he'll be able to help you better.

Aquaball - get the 130
Biopower - the 160
Pickup  - the 160.

Those models are rated for bigger than the tank you have but the flow rate can be adjusted with all of them. I always prefer to have a model rated for slightly bigger tanks and turn the flow down rather than one that can only just cope.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »
Yeah, I have the smallest Eheim Pickup 45...  I use it for two principle reasons, main one is to add some additional flow around the tank as a supplement to an external canister filter, and secondly as a support act in general to the main filter, to help reduce the maintenance demands of the bigger filter... 

In terms of additional flow, that is why I went with the smallest one as there is already flow from the main canister filter and I just wanted a modest boost...  Choosing a larger model in my case would have provided too much additional flow... 

Great little filter though and a piece of cake from a servicing point of view...  I would certainly recommend them...  :)   Just look closely at flow rates when choosing a filter as you need to careful not to either over do it, or even under do it...

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 11:50:17 AM »
@TopCookie - how would you use existing media in a Pickup? Is there a hollow in the sponge that could be used? Or would it mean cutting up the Pickup's sponge?

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »
In the 45 it is a single block of sponge, no hollow etc...  In my case, I'm not looking for the 45 to be a muncher colony as those bad boys will be in the canister filter and everywhere else etc, plus with all the plants doing their bit too...  so when it comes to cleaning the sponge, I just rinse it under the tap...  Naturally, this wouldn't be recommended in most cases... 

Offline hilly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 01:07:34 PM »
Ok, just one more query.

Will nitrates of. 40 and above be a problem. Again my tap water comes with     . 40 nitrates straight out of the tap so is only going to go higher.

Im so tempted to get a RO system so at least I can start from a blank canvass each time.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »
The UK allows 50 ppm nitrate in drinking water which is why you can have 40 ppm and still be 'legal'. But fish really need 20 or less ppm.

Using half tap, half RO would get the nitrate reading down to 20 ppm. Or you could use 100% RO and add some remineralisaton salts as none of the fish in the trade can survive in pure water.

A half and half mix would also lower your hardness from 10 to 5 deg, so if you went down this route you would need to look at soft water fish. But if you used 100% RO, and added a lot of remin salts, you could make the water hard enough for hard water fish or soft enough for soft water fish.

There are all sorts of filters that reduce nitrate before adding it to the tank eg pozzani filter https://www.pozzani.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=185

All these methods need the fish keeper to have something always available - RO water, remin salts, pozzani spare cartridges in case of the need for emergency water changes. So an unopened cartridge/tub of salts in the cupboard at all times, and buy a new one as soon as the last one is opened. You must never run out as these methods mean you can never use plain tap water again.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »
I have tap water that contains 40ppm nitrates, with hardness 17dh.
Most of my tanks are just de-chlorinated tap water with limited amounts of live plants (certainly not heavily planted) and I find that my nitrates do not go up beyond 40ppm. Live plants, especially floating plants, are great for controlling nitrates, along with regular tank maintenance & water changes.

I do use a mix of tap & RO for one tank, but that is more to reduce the hardness to make it more acceptable for the fish.

Obviously it is entirely up to you if you would prefer to use the filters that Sue has suggested, or get an RO system, but I just wanted to point out that your nitrates may not go up, so it may be a lot more work for you. As for whether <40ppm is better for the fish, yes I would have thought so, but some fish are more hardy than others, so it depends on what fish you want to keep.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 07:47:30 PM »
Water changes should be 50% a week when you have fish so the level will drop well below the heater and filter.

Just scanned this thread and went :yikes: I've only been doing 20% water changes per week? If I need to do 50% I'll do them twice a week as it would take me all evening to do 50% I'd imagine, haven't figured out a quick way of doing it yet.

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 10:14:49 PM »
I do my changes on a daily basis. Would this work for you ? As the amounts are smaller there’s less shock to the fish as the changes are subtle. Especially if your looking to change 50% of the volume per week.

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
I do a 50% water change on 180 litres per week. It takes about an hour and a half, but a lot of that is waiting for a full kettle to boil 9 times. With a combi boiler, hot tap water can be used to warm the new water so it would be quicker. (With a hot water system that has a cylinder in the airing cupboard, hot tap water should not be used because of what could be in the header tank in the loft)

Two 30% changes are about the same as one 50% (don't forget the second water change removes some of the new water added at the first water change)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ammonia in tap water "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 07:08:34 PM
by JimmyL
6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2014, 08:05:10 PM
by fruitbat
4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2014, 05:25:03 PM
by Sue
Ammonia

Started by Charlotte « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

22 Replies
Last post March 14, 2016, 06:41:43 PM
by Extreme_One
6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2016, 09:16:01 PM
by Paddy60
16 Replies
Last post November 15, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
by Paddy60
13 Replies
Last post December 11, 2019, 07:36:20 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: