Ammonia

Author Topic: Ammonia  (Read 8191 times) 22 replies

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Ammonia
« on: March 06, 2016, 02:41:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Which advice should we take regarding ammonia? My LFS says the tank isn't old enough (5 weeks) to have accumulated a quantity of ammonia to be harmful to our fish and testing for it will only show a result for ammonium. Our fish are dying from symptoms that strongly suggest ammonia poisoning, lethargy, no appetite, gasping at the top of the tank,then lying on the bottom and dying. I've started to ignore my LFS advice of not changing any water for the first six weeks so 30% last week and 50% today.
Today's results are ammonia   .5ppm, nitrite 0 api kit , nitrite 0.1 jbl kit. Ammonia/ammonium is down from 1-2 last week.
We have 5 harlequin rasboras, 2 platys and 2 guppys. The tank is planted and we have carbon in the filter.
The fish are not dying en mass but one at a time.
Could anything else be affecting them e.g. disease ?
Are ammonia treatments effective or long term detrimental ? Some say use,some say stay away from.
The only thing I've not paid any attention to is the filter,should I have done .
Help,please.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Ammonia
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »
The shop is talking rubbish I'm afraid.

Ammonia in water exists in 2 forms, ammonia and ammonium. The only things that decide how much is in each form are the temperature and pH. Duration of tank has nothing to do with it.

In one way, though, the shop is right about not doing water changes because the bacteria will grow faster the more there is. But it will also kill or damage your fish. Cycling with fish is a compromise between keeping the fish safe and having enough ammonia to grow the bacteria quickly. Being exposed to ammonia and/or nitrite shortens the life of a fish, and makes them more susceptible to disease.

The simplest way to deal with ammonia or nitrite is to do frequent enough water changes to stop either of them ever reaching as high as 0.25. That will keep the fish safe, but also make the cycle last longer. As I said, it's a compromise.

But if you don't mind something a bit more complex, there is another way to look at ammonia. Our test kits measure ammonia and ammonium combined; they can't tell the difference. But we can calculate how much of each makes up that reading. All you need are your ammonia reading, the pH of the tank and the temperature of the tank. Then go to this website.
Enter the ammonia reading in the total ammonia measurement box; set salinity to zero; then your pH and temp in the next 2 boxes. (Make sure you use the right temp scale!) Then click calculate. The figure you want is the lower one, NH3 concentration. This is the amount of your reading that is in the toxic ammonia form. Your aim is to keep that figure below 0.02.
Using this calculator it doesn't matter how high the test results get as long as the calculator figure stays below 0.02 and the test reading stays below 2.0 - ammonium isn't non-toxic, it is less toxic and above a test reading of 2.0 even ammonium starts to become toxic. This will allow your total ammonia-plus-ammonium to get higher than the 'keep below 0.25' way and allow the tank to cycle faster.

But you also need to keep nitrite below 0.25 as there is no less-toxic form of nitrite; it is all toxic. If your nitrite reading gets higher than it is now, there is something you can do; ask if you need to know.

Ammonia treatments can help but only short term. Their effect lasts around 24 hours. You could try using a dechlorinator that detoxifies ammonia, but also do water changes when the calculator says you need to. The tester measures the detoxified ammonia the same as non-detoxified except for when using Seachem Prime. For some reason that one can distort the ammonia test

I'm afraid that the reason your fish are dying is the ammonia and possibly nitrite, if that has ever been over 0.25. Gasping at the surface is the classical symptom as both affect the fish's ability to get oxygen from the water so they go where the oxygen is richest - where the water makes contact with air. If they were getting sick from another cause you would probably see physical signs eg white spots or white patches on the skin, or swollen bodies.

If the plants are growing well, they will help as plants use ammonia as fertiliser.

So, after that essay -
Use the calculator to work out the ammonia portion of the test reading. If  that figure is now or becomes over 0.02, do a water change.
Keep an eye on the nitrite reading and if that reaches 0.25, come back and tell us.

And ignore the shop.

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:39:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thankyou Sue, amazingly I understood all that lol. Having used the NH3 calculator it shows a pleasing 0.0013, last weeks results would have been 0.323. The pH level however is 6.6, do we need to increase acidity ?   Ph last week was 7.2, would the two water changes have such a drastic effect on the ph ? The temp is 27 Celsius with the heater turned all the way down. Would turning the heater on its side and placing mid tank bring the temp down any ? Thanks for taking the time to answer our posts,we only have another 200 or so questions. Joking, its probably more like 500 lol. John & Charlotte.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:48:35 PM »
Low pH = acid, high pH = basic. So you are really asking how can you reduce the acidity  ;)

The first thing to do about pH is check the pH of your tap water. Both freshly run tap water and a glass of water that's been allowed to stand overnight. Sometimes the water company adds things to the water which can change the pH. Letting it stand allows gasses to gas out (in the same way that a glass of lemonade left standing will go flat). Since the water in the tank is not freshly run, you need to compare the tank to the 'stood' water to see if it is something in the tank that is causing the change.

Next thing to think about is how hard your water is. That should be somewhere on your water company's website. GH, general hardness, what the water company means by hard or soft, is usually high or low with carbonate hardness (KH). They are usually both high or low together. KH stabilises pH so if you have soft water it is possible for the pH to fall. Especially if you have something in the tank that can cause low pH. Wood is the most common thing we have in our tanks that can lower pH.
If you have hard water, it is possible to have low KH but that would be unusual and we'd need to think of something else besides just wood, unless your tank is stuffed full of it.

The position of the heater won't affect the temp. (OK well it can but usually if it is vertical and the water flow round it is so slow that the hot water rises and isn't swooshed round the tank, then the hot water can cause the thermostat to turn off and most of the tank is left too cold)
Is the thermometer one of the liquid filled ones that go inside the tank, a digital one, or a stick on the outside kind? The outside the tank ones can give false readings as they are affected by the air temperature, so if you have the central heating turned up high it could be giving a false high.
Have you tried unplugging the heater to see what happens to the temp over a few hours? Don't do this overnight though in case the temp drops right down while you are asleep.

Re the dying fish, that ammonia last week of 0.323 is much higher than the safe limit of 0.02. Even 0.05 is only OK for a couple of days. Put it down to bad advice, and take everything the shop tells you with a pinch of salt in future.

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 09:33:34 PM »
Re pH and acid, got it the wrong way round doh ! 
Learning curve getting steeper by the minute. To think all this started because our daughter wanted a dog, bartered her down to a goldfish, went to get one and came home with what I thought was a big tank (35ltr). Now I find myself turning into a part time scientist. I'm not complaining though. So,question 4 of 500 is can I safely bring the pH level to normal without upsetting the ammonia/nitrite levels ? Do I need to do anything yet or just monitor it ? It's upsetting to lose a fish and we want to do all we can to give them a healthy environmental. We live in a soft water area and the glass thermometer is in the tank. We discussed doing a small 10% water change daily but opinions on this differ greatly.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 09:48:54 PM »
Be guided by the ammonia and nitrite results re water changes. If the ammonia level in the calculator gets near 0.02, do a water change. If nitrite gets near 0.25, do a water change.

You could always get a piece of limestone or tufa rock, or a shell (make sure it's not been lacquered or anything). Both of those will slowly dissolve adding both GH and KH to the water. That will help stabilise the pH.
But test the pH of some freshly run tap water and leave a glass of water to stand overnight and then test the pH. It will be interesting to compare both of them to the tank's pH.

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 10:04:07 PM »
Interesting. I bought the tank from a pet shop along with some coloured gravel. My LFS said the gravel is calciferous (limestone chips probably),reading 4. Not a problem yet but could be in the future. So I changed the gravel last week, maybe the reason for pH drop ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:08 AM »
Yes, if the old gravel did contain calcium carbonate, that would definitely have helped boost the KH and stablise the pH. Using crushed limestone or coral gravel is one way to do it, but I didn't think you'd want to bother changing it just yet with coping with the ammonia as well  :)

Do you still have the old gravel? If you do, it would be worth putting it back for a while. Once you've got the tank cycled, that will be the time to think about the best method going forwards.

Member fcmf will probably be the best person to advise you on your soft water as she also has very soft water and has learned a few ways of coping with it.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 08:15:45 PM »
Member fcmf will probably be the best person to advise you on your soft water as she also has very soft water and has learned a few ways of coping with it.

You might find the following thread helpful: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/new-fishkeepers/fish-tank-cycling-query/msg21094/?topicseen#msg21094

Interestingly, I've just taken readings of the GH and KH straight from the tap - 2 and 1 respectively, which seems to be particularly low today. However, with the Tufa rock being in the tank, the tank water readings for GH and KH are 4 and 3 (just) respectively, so it does improve it.

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »
Hi, tonights results are ammonia 0.0007, ph 6.6-6.8 depending which test I use (api or jbl)nitrate 0 (yey) nitrite a disappointing .25. So after doing a 30% water change today we seem to have nipped ammonia in the bud for the time being at least. Now its time to look at nitrites and we don't have a clue . I will go to the LFS tomorrow and get limestone or coral to raise the pH.
With your help we have a much greater understanding of the complexities of fishkeeping than we had two days ago.
Now nitrites, where do we start ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 09:51:40 PM »
Nitrite affects fish by binding to their haemoglobin, which prevents the blood absorbing oxygen. It does the same thing to fish that carbon monoxide does to us. The good news is that ordinary salt blocks the nitrite from sticking to the blood cells. And the even better news is that your fish should be OK with salt. Not perfect but they'll tolerate it better than nitrite.

Now comes the part where you'll need a calculator to work out how much salt to add.

1. Multiply the test reading by 10
2. Take the volume of water in the tank in litres.
3. Multiply 1. and 2.
4. Multiply 3. by 1.5
5. Divide 4. by 1000.

You now have the weight of salt you need in grammes. Take a bit of tank water out, add the salt to that and dissolve it then pour the salt water back into the tank, spreading it round the surface.

If the nitrite goes up, subtract the old reading from the new to find how much it has gone up. Then do the calculation for the extra nitrite.
If you do a water change, add salt to the new water at the same rate that you used in the water you took out.

Once the cycle is finished, the maintenance water changes will gradually remove the salt.

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 10:07:47 PM »
Thanks for that,at least we have salt but my calculation comes in at 0.13 of a gram and our scales wouldn't even register that! Have I calculated correctly ? The reading is .25 and the tank is 35 litre.

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 10:10:15 PM »
Or is it 13 grammes ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 09:38:23 AM »
No, it is 0.13 g. And yes, that would be very difficult to measure.

There is one way.
Measure 10g salt and dissolve it in 100ml tap water (weigh 100g water if you don't trust the accuracy of a measuring jug). Each ml will contain 0.1g salt. Keep this solution in a container (you'll need to add more if the nitrite reading goes up, or if you do a water change). Add salt solution to the tub of tank water rather than solid salt. If you need 0.13g, you want 1.3ml of the solution. A syringe would come in handy for this. You can get babies' medicine dosing syringes from the local pharmacy; they come in sizes from 1ml up. Make sure you ask for a babies medicine syringe as I know from personal experience that if you ask for just a syringe, they'll want to know why.

I think 10g salt will dissolve in 100ml water. If not, dissolve it in a litre of water (1000ml). Each 10ml would contain 0.1g, so 0.13g would need 13ml solution.

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 07:10:10 PM »
Thanks Sue, just tested for nitrates and api says .25 whereas the jbl says.4 so immediate action is needed I think. Will the salt drop the nitrites straight away or take some time ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 08:05:45 PM »
Thanks Sue, just tested for nitrates and api says .25 whereas the jbl says.4 so immediate action is needed I think. Will the salt drop the nitrites straight away or take some time ?

I assume you meant nitrites  ;)

Salt doesn't lower nitrite, it just stops nitrite harming the fish. During a fish-in cycle, once there enough  ammonia eaters to start making nitrite, the nitrite reading goes up and up. When using salt to mitigate the effects, you add enough for the amount of nitrite as soon as you see any. The next day, if the reading has gone up, you add more - the amount for the rise in nitrite. For example, someone has 0.25 ppm nitrite in a 35 litre tank today - they add 0.13g salt. Tomorrow they find nitrite has gone up to 1.5; 1.5 (that day's reading) - 0.25 (day before's reading) = 1.25. Running 1.25 through the calculation gives 0.65 so they then add another 0.65g salt. And so on till the nitrite reading starts to fall.
The problem comes when nitrite goes off the top of the scale as you don't know how high it actually is. With 35 litres, rather than try to do an accurate dilution test, the easiest thing to do would be a huge water change and start the process again from the beginning.

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »
We've now done 3 daily water changes of around 40% and the nitrites have only dropped by approximately 0.1. Should we have expected a significant decrease ? We are aware the changes will lengthen the cycle period but right now the welfare of the fish is our priority. We are feeding very small amounts and the food is gone in 20/30 seconds.
Lost no fish since Sunday so fingers crossed but noticed 2 harlequins seem to be bleeding at the gills. Is this reversible if we can get the nitrites under control ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 09:42:23 PM »
The way a cycle goes, whether fish-in or fishless, is that ammonia goes into the tank but there are hardly any bacteria to eat it. The few there gradually multiply but until they do, with fish-in, the ammonia builds up until there enough bacteria. AS they are multiplying there is still ammonia being made so for a while the ammonia reading goes up before it can come down. As the bacteria eaters multiply they start making more and more nitrite. Again, this goes up and up until the nitrite eaters multiply enough to start reducing it. And the nitrite eaters can only start to multiply once the ammonia eaters have started making nitrite.

You results suggest that your nitrite is going up fast. You remove a lot of nitrite with each water change but it build back up again before the next one.

Do you mean blood is coming our of the gills, or that they look bright red? Bright red gills is a symptom of ammonia. Nitrite causes the blood to go brown. Nitrite does eventually wash out of the blood but it does take a while.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 08:00:45 AM »
I recommend Seachem Prime (or Seachem Safe which is the powdered form of Prime and the one I use) which neutralises the toxic effects of Ammonia and Nitrites.

You mix it with the new water being added as part of a water change, instead of your usual dechlorinator. It dechlorinates as well as detoxifies the Ammonia.

It leaves the Ammonia in a form that the denitrifying bacteria can feed on, so it doesn't slow down your cycle.

The only problem is that for 24 hrs after you won't get an accurate reading for Ammonia from most liquid reagent test kits.

When I (inadvertantly) did a fish-in cycle I added Seachem Safe on day one with a water change and tested Ammonia on Day 3 to monitor the cycle.
I then performed another water change and added more Seachem Safe and so on until the bacteria was able to cope with the bio-load.

Before I found the Seachem Safe I was losing fish during the cycle and they were clearly distressed. As soon as I added Safe the losses stopped and the cycle continued relatively stress-free.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 09:44:07 PM »
Thankyou,unfortunately my LFS doesn't stock it so will have to look elsewhere.
I think we were at a point yesterday where a lot of people have been, wondering if it's all worth it. We decided it is and so we will persevere.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ammonia"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 07:08:34 PM
by JimmyL
4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2014, 05:25:03 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2015, 09:41:36 PM
by Sanjo
4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2016, 04:24:56 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:22:08 AM
by fcmf
13 Replies
Last post December 11, 2019, 07:36:20 PM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post February 05, 2021, 04:39:15 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: